VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this question because I learned that all flour, pasta, rice, cereal, and grains sold in markets contain a certain amount of bug eggs. There have been multiple occasions where I found "flour beetles" in flour, rice, and oatmeal that I had for a few months. I originally thought the bugs somehow got into the air tight containers, but I later learned that flour and other grains being contaminated by bugs during manufacturing is so common that the FDA allows a certain amount of eggs in our flour and other foods. I'm a little disillusioned by all this. It's seems impossible to truly be a vegan if we can't even buy rice or flour without eating insects. What is your opinion on this? Does anyone know any way to avoid contaminated food, or at least remove the eggs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
This is your first post?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,664 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>Charlie Brown</strong> <a href="/forum/post/3050234"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
I ask this question because I learned that all flour, pasta, rice, cereal, and grains sold in markets contain a certain amount of bug eggs. There have been multiple occasions where I found "flour beetles" in flour, rice, and oatmeal that I had for a few months. I originally thought the bugs somehow got into the air tight containers, but I later learned that flour and other grains being contaminated by bugs during manufacturing is so common that the FDA allows a certain amount of eggs in our flour and other foods. I'm a little disillusioned by all this. It's seems impossible to truly be a vegan if we can't even buy rice or flour without eating insects. What is your opinion on this? Does anyone know any way to avoid contaminated food, or at least remove the eggs?</div>
</div>
<br>
That's gross, but I've heard about it before. Unfortunately the FDA allows a lot of gross things, including feces, as long as it's what they consider an appropriately tiny amount.<br><br>
Accidentally eating bug eggs doesn't make you not vegan in any way though, just as accidentally stepping on a bug on the sidewalk wouldn't mean you aren't vegan anymore. It's a matter of intention. The point of being vegan isn't purity for the sake of purity, it's to make compassionate choices and avoid animal products wherever it's <i>possible</i> and <i>practical.</i> Driving yourself crazy worrying about little details doesn't help you or any animals. So don't beat yourself up over things you have no control over, just do what you can do <img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="/images/smilies/smiley.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title=":)">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Agree. I think being vegan means avoiding animal products as much as <i>possible</i>, emphasis on the word possible. Unfortunately no one can cut out everything - if you drive or ride a bike the tyres have animal products.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,548 Posts
Ok, I laughed.
 

·
adapt. evolve. become
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
yumm <img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="/images/smilies/smiley.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title=":)">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
There are bugs in everything, Blockhead <img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="/images/smilies/wall.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title=":wall:">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,157 Posts
Eggs aren't animals. <img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="/images/smilies/tongue3.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title=":p"> Nor are they (in this case) animal products by the typically understood meaning of the term.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
The average person accidentally swallows 50* spiders and other bugs every year while the person is sleeping. Does that mean sleeping isn't vegan?<br><br>
Seriously, being vegan is about avoiding animal products as much as practical and possible. In general, vegan = avoiding meat, dairy, eggs, honey, leather, fur, wool, silk, animal circuses, zoos, etc. It's about refraining from being the cause of unnecessary animal suffering and death. It's about eating a diet of plants, wearing clothes made of plants, and in general living as cruelty-free as possible.<br><br>
You draw your own lines and if you want to avoid grains because of small animal deaths resulting from harvesting and processing, that's a fine choice. But it's more extreme than the accepted definition of vegan requires.<br><br><br>
*I made that number up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Mostly it's just gross, and even if you only eat fruit and veg you're still going to be eating an insect or two by accident on occasion. You have to eat something. Veganism is about not partaking in animal suffering, but this isn't intentional and there's nothing you can do about it really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,595 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>ElaineV</strong> <a href="/forum/post/3051062"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
The average person accidentally swallows 50* spiders and other bugs every year while the person is sleeping. Does that mean sleeping isn't vegan?<br><br>
*I made that number up.</div>
</div>
<br><img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="/images/smilies/laugh.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title=":lol:"> I was totally going to argue with you until I read the footnote. I've heard that's vastly overestimated. <img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="/images/smilies/thinking.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title=":think:"><br><br>
Anyhoo, yes, of course you can be vegan and eat flour and oats. That's one of the reasons bleaching became popular for flour, it's not about getting the eggs out, it's about killing them so they don't hatch.<br><br>
We're gonna be okay. <img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="/images/smilies/hug.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title=":hug:">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>Charlie Brown</strong> <a href="/forum/post/3050234"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
I ask this question because I learned that all flour, pasta, rice, cereal, and grains sold in markets contain a certain amount of bug eggs. There have been multiple occasions where I found "flour beetles" in flour, rice, and oatmeal that I had for a few months. I originally thought the bugs somehow got into the air tight containers, but I later learned that flour and other grains being contaminated by bugs during manufacturing is so common that the FDA allows a certain amount of eggs in our flour and other foods. I'm a little disillusioned by all this. It's seems impossible to truly be a vegan if we can't even buy rice or flour without eating insects. What is your opinion on this? Does anyone know any way to avoid contaminated food, or at least remove the eggs?</div>
</div>
<br><br>
Why in the world should we obsess over little things like this? We have the ability to prevent intentional, overt suffering by refusing to pay people to enslave animals in tiny cages with no exposure to fresh air or sunlight for their entire lives, and then slaughtering them. Why does veganism have to be about purity or an ever expanding list of ingredients? It's really just a word. We have the ability to prevent suffering. Suffering is real, and it matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>Josh James xVx</strong> <a href="/forum/post/3051168"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
Why in the world should we obsess over little things like this? We have the ability to prevent intentional, overt suffering by refusing to pay people to enslave animals in tiny cages with no exposure to fresh air or sunlight for their entire lives, and then slaughtering them. Why does veganism have to be about purity or an ever expanding list of ingredients? It's really just a word. We have the ability to prevent suffering. Suffering is real, and it matters.</div>
</div>
<br><img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title=":up:">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,282 Posts
The best way to manage the problem is put all grain/flour/dry beans etc... that come into the house in the freezer for 48 hrs once you bring them home, then transfer them to an air-and-watertight container (like a canning jar, or lock and lock container) and store it in the pantry. Will it REMOVE bug eggs? No. But it will kill them if they are in there so they don't hatch and infest your pantry. You just have to not think about it.<br><br>
For the larger question, it's impossible to eat food and not harm any living thing. Veggies are sprayed with insecticide, or organic veggies you have to wash the bugs out. I soak my greens in vinegar water to kill the bugs and rinse and rinse so I don't eat them. Still have to get rid of them though. You do the best you can and don't stay up nights worrying about the rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Eeew! I think if we really thought about it, we'd all be too grossed out to eat anything whatsoever or even drink water. I'm not vegan but I think it's intent that matters wherever you are on your journey - I'm avoiding meat, poultry and fish and plan to buy different 'vegetarian' items in future (example I found my favourite veggie soup has lard in it) but if there happens to be a bug in my flour I hope I don't know about it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,741 Posts
This thread smells troll-y to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>Scorpius</strong> <a href="/forum/post/3051262"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
This thread smells troll-y to me.</div>
</div>
<br>
+1.<br><br>
Sooooo... which came first, the insect or the egg?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>Scorpius</strong> <a href="/forum/post/3051262"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
This thread smells troll-y to me.</div>
</div>
<br>
That's actually my stinkbug egg omelette.<br><br>
Sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>Josh James xVx</strong> <a href="/forum/post/3051168"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
Why in the world should we obsess over little things like this? We have the ability to prevent intentional, overt suffering by refusing to pay people to enslave animals in tiny cages with no exposure to fresh air or sunlight for their entire lives, and then slaughtering them. Why does veganism have to be about purity or an ever expanding list of ingredients? It's really just a word. We have the ability to prevent suffering. Suffering is real, and it matters.</div>
</div>
<br><img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="/images/smilies/yes.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title=":yes:">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,157 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>Scorpius</strong> <a href="/forum/post/3051262"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
This thread smells troll-y to me.</div>
</div>
<br><br><img alt="" src="http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbYNuYiWWeBBd3uHhaVwIjkwBCYIdkktUZVoIzwsC1HkXcvs4s" style="border:0px solid;">
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top