VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Halfway into my 30 day Vegan challenge I realized that I have leather shoes and handbags in my closet. I had been so focused on not EATING animals/animal products that I didnt even give a thought to cleaning out my closet!

Just curious about veganism and wearing leather - - - - if you do it then youre not vegan right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can you be Vegan and wear leather? No. But the general rule most people seem to follow is that if you have bought things before becoming vegan, then it is OK to continue to use them until they need replacing. At which point you should seek a vegan alternative. By definition, leather is not vegan of course. you are correct in realising that being vegan isn't just about the food.

I got rid of leather shoes and belts etc.. straight away because they weren't expensive and I could replace them easily. Also I don't think publicly displaying leather is good for the cause and always raises eyebrows among non-vegans and vegans alike. I just didn't want to have "that" conversation with someone, even if I did buy them before I became vegan.

I have a rather expensive leather couch though. As we are currently a one-wage family, with 2 kids, I can't see ourselves being able to replace that unless necessary. When the time comes though, I will obviously get a vegan material (which will be a hell of a lot cheaper too! bonus). And yes - I do feel guilty about owning it

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
It might be fun for the 30 day challenge to not use anything leather, to see how you get on with that. But yeah, if you owned it beforehand I wouldnt worry too much - as long as youre comfortable using it. Buying new leather? A different issue!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I believe if you already had it before you went vegan, then wear it until its end, but don't replace it with another leather item.. gradually go towards replacing to non leather goods.

·
Registered
25 Posts
While I don't think there is anything morally wrong about buying thrift store leather or any other used products that contain leather, primarily since there is no 'new' animal suffering involved, as m00ch said it is kind of good for the cause just to be free from animal products entirely.

So I really nothing wrong with it per se; a guess that means it just purely a personal decision. Do what you are comfortable with. I like the idea and lifestyle of just being free from it even if it is used, so I'm more comfortable with that and go with that. I wasn't at first, but after like 2 years or something of being vegan decided to get rid of my old leather belt and have no more leather around.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVegan View Post

Just curious about veganism and wearing leather - - - - if you do it then youre not vegan right?
That's right, not vegan if you wear leather

Leather is mostly made from cow, and sometimes from sheep/lamb/goat/snake and buffalo hide. If you are using or wearing any animal skin at any time, you are not a vegan.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Leather, at my last check, was being disposed of as a waste product by the meat industry.

Personaly I try not buy new leather as a matter of principle but a leather boycott will never spare a single animal as the slaughter is entirely for meat.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Not true about boycotting leather not sparing a single animal. A great deal of the 'cheap' leather you see nowadays comes from India and those animals are tortured beyond belief on their way to the slaughterhouse.

http://www.jivdaya.org/nike_tells_in...overnment.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...ps-724696.html

http://www.hindu.com/fline/fl1818/18180380.htm

No videos of abuse folks, just articles that tell you what really goes on in todays leather industry. And I would like to point out that the first article lists a number of big name companies like Nike and Reebok who've responded to information that was provided to them by, drum roll please.......PETA. Just to let you know that PETA is not just about zany PR stunts, they actually accomplish great things.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I don't even buy thrift store leather. I think it sends the message that leather is something we want and I don't want to wear dead animals.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

I don't even buy thrift store leather. I think it sends the message that leather is something we want and I don't want to wear dead animals.
I don't want to wear LIVE ones!

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I went vegan I decided I had to get rid of all my leather. I just didn't feel right wearing it, or even touching it/looking at it. I understand people keeping things until they wear out (especially shoes), but for me I didn't want to perpetuate the "leather is fashionable" falsity. I'm not going to lie, getting rid of some of my shoes and bags was TOUGH since I was attached to them and they were expensive and super cute (Camper shoes are amazing!), but there's no point in keeping something that goes against my morals and that I wouldn't wear anyway. I'd rather them go to someone who will get the most out of them.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I stopped wearing leather as a vegetarian, but continued to use the leather products I owned untill they wore out. I still have some wool clothes (well, a skirt) I'll keep wearing untill they wear out also.

I wouldn't buy animal products second hand, but I wouldn't say someone wasn't vegan if they did either. I'd rather not, because I don't have a need for it, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable buying animal products (especially leather) knowing what they were. But I think it is in part more of an emotional thing than a logical thing, to be honest.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Leather, at my last check, was being disposed of as a waste product by the meat industry.

Personaly I try not buy new leather as a matter of principle but a leather boycott will never spare a single animal as the slaughter is entirely for meat.
Last I checked, the meat industry was not profitable without the leather industry

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Last I checked, the meat industry was not profitable without the leather industry

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
You could still be a dietary vegan and still wear leather, even though it's still hypocritical to do so.

Leather is a profitable part of the meat industry, and therefore i personally don't consider it to be a by-product.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
The term "dietary vegan" is a load of redundant bollocks.
You aren't a vegan unless you have removed animal products from your wardrobe, your household and your food. If you have only removed animals from your diet, you remain a vegetarian.

And to the question about leather, I guess you can work it out what I think.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts