VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a muffin recipe I'd really like to try but it calls for 1/3 cup applesauce. Do you think I could substitute 1/3 cup yogurt instead? i haven't got any applesauce.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Whaaattttt?

surely applesauce would be um, in with the other sauces in any old shop?

i cant say ive ever looked for it but never doubted it was in the uk!

i dont see adding youghurt to muffins randomly going very well at all though

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Whaaattttt?

surely applesauce would be um, in with the other sauces in any old shop?

i cant say ive ever looked for it but never doubted it was in the uk!
it is. I have bought applesauce many times. From the co-op definitely, but I would think you would be able to buy it in most supermarkets.

The problem is knowing whereabouts in the shop to look for it. I think in the co-op it is near the sauces like mustard and stuff

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I CAN buy it I just didn't have any on me at the moment and wanted to make the muffins NOW. I ended up waiting a day until the shops were open and got some today. I was just CRAVING muffins real bad but I surived the night and will make some today. Thanks for your help everyone.

PS In the Uk for look for baby food applesauce in a jar or Clearspring makes an apple puree dessert in individual packs --perfect for baking. I like the apple and apricot in my orange poppy seed muffins.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I'd vote for the yogurt being fine as well. The applesauce is probably meant as a binder, and yogurt fits the bill well for that (in breads and muffins).

wrt applesauce..I must say that it's pretty uncommon around these parts. I like to use it in baking (or just to eat
), and it took some asking at the grocer to find it. There are only 1 or 2 brands at each store I've visited, and they're in the section with mint jelly, etc. That is, things meant to put on meat..bleah. It's very chunky and has lemon juice in it. Weird.

Contrast this to most any regular-sized store in the US, where there are at least a dozen varieties/sizes, probably more. Chunky/smooth, sugar/no sugar, with cinnamon, etc. in sizes ranging from small to gigantic.

When I was little, we used to make it homemade with a food mill.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

No I CAN buy it I just didn't have any on me at the moment and wanted to make the muffins NOW. I ended up waiting a day until the shops were open and got some today. I was just CRAVING muffins real bad but I surived the night and will make some today. Thanks for your help everyone.
oh yeah, I know that, I was just responding to Black Heart

1 - 13 of 13 Posts