VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I bite into a veggie-burger or somthing I feel weird. it's hard to swallow because I can't shake the feeling that someone's stuck a hunk of meat in their.

Over at the BK veggie burger thing someone said that the people who make these meals are obviuosly meat eaters and probably don't care if something accidently "gets in their" and some may even do it on purpose. I think this is as good an interpretation as any becuase of the fact that these people are usually trying to make a profit by using a market it that few other brands have ventured.

Is their a way to know if these things are legit. Does anybody know any types of veggie meals that they know to be 100% telling the truth.

I am rediculously against meat eating, and though I am not a vegan I would be devastated to learn I had eaten meat

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
A lot of companies that make vegetarian products are run either by vegetarians themselves (we're not just consumers... we're sellers, too!) or by people who care an awful lot about health codes. You're probably less at risk of eating meat in a veggieburger than eating something mysterious in the food from a fast food joint. Knowing this, I still eat an occasional meal from a fast food place. My intention is not to be pure, but rather to not create a demand for meat-containing products.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks guys, becuase I've usually been ok with the home stuff which is primally made by vegeatarians, but I was eating a BK veggie burger and man was I nervous

·
Registered
116 Posts
We have a thread on the BK veggie burgers, I believe. They put them on the same rack thing as the regular burgers and the fries are made with the fish. Even if it weren't for those reasons, it's always best to stay away from fast food in general if you have the option.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i would say get soemthing that in no way could be meat. like a salad. Other then that i would stick to home made baca burgers or go to an all veggie place.

·
Registered
100 Posts
in my experience you can't!

i work in events management and resturants and hotels are awful. chef's cook with non vegetarian cheese and yoghurts all the time for example because they don't 'know' what vegetarian cheese is

plus there's the gelatine issue

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you order a vegetarian dish at an omni restaurant, it can't be trusted. Especially at Chinese restaurants! Recently, I was at a Chinese restaurant and I ordered an eggplant dish. Vegetarian, right? Wrong! When I started eating it, I noticed a small piece of ground pork. I was grossed out, so I stopped eating. I didn't have anything to eat, except a bowl of rice. I suspect that it was cross contaminated from another dish that was cooked in the same wok.

If you really are that worried about having meat in your 'vegetarian meals', your best bet is to not eat at places where there is meat. Even at Subway, since all the food is in a buffet style kind of arrangment for the server to assemble your sandwich, there could be cross contamination. When I got a veggie delight, the server carelessly got a little chicken in my sub. ick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts