VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
Really depends on the individuals. My husband is a meat eater, and I was a long-time vegetarian when we met (now a vegan). It's never caused a single issue in 8+ years. We've been in many constructive, intelligent, interesting debates over the years. He's actually cut back a lot on meat consumption and pretty much stopped all dairy since meeting me, though it wasn't overnight and I have never pressured him about it. I doubt he'll ever be vegan, but we work fine.

I was still in high school when I met my husband though. At this point in my life if I were still single and interested in dating, I would probably put a greater importance on dating other vegans than I did back then (though it still wouldn't be a deal breaker if someone was an omni).

Tattoos, I don't care much about but they aren't a 'turn on' for me. My husband has none, I have one very small, very well concealed one. I don't mind them, but I'm not a huge fan of multiple, large, highly-visible ones.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i've thought about this - my boyfriend is a meat eater (and he eats quite a lot of it) perhaps he may change to veganism over time, but we'll see. What I think I may find hard in the future, is if he gets to the point where he has the knowledge that I now have and still doesn't go vegan.

·
Vegan Fashion blogger
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly, I think when people learn about the reasons why we should be vegans, I would expect someone to make a change. I have quite mainstream views but I find that I talk about veganism so much and even down to the restaurants I go to and I would want to share that important part of my life with them.

I do it mainly for health reasons and I want to protect the people I love, I would hope someone could switch!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is how it went down for me! I am a 32 yr old man by the way.

Been with my wife for around 10 years, she went vegetarian shortly after our daughter was born, who is 7 now. I was always a big time meat and dairy eater and she never tried to push her way on me or the kids. She even continued to buy the meat/dairy I requested and fix meals for us.

Looking back, it's hard to believe she did, and I mostly wrote off any negative comments she had while cutting up beef steaks etc. I always assumed it was in my daughter's and my best health interests to consume the meat/dairy. She is kind of quiet and reserved so she never really opposed my stance. A few months ago I found the path to veganism on my own and never looked back, hard to believe I was so dense that I didn't see the reality before hand!

Now she is a vegan too, after seeing my research and approach - and my daughter is a vegetarian by her own choices.

Things come around full circle if they are meant to be, I think someone with an open mind and compassion is the best choice because even if they are a meat eater they can ponder the reality of what they are doing and maybe make the change one day when the timing is right.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Here is how it went down for me! I am a 32 yr old man by the way.

Been with my wife for around 10 years, she went vegetarian shortly after our daughter was born, who is 7 now. I was always a big time meat and dairy eater and she never tried to push her way on me or the kids. She even continued to buy the meat/dairy I requested and fix meals for us.

Looking back, it's hard to believe she did, and I mostly wrote off any negative comments she had while cutting up beef steaks etc. I always assumed it was in my daughter's and my best health interests to consume the meat/dairy. She is kind of quiet and reserved so she never really opposed my stance. A few months ago I found the path to veganism on my own and never looked back, hard to believe I was so dense that I didn't see the reality before hand!

Now she is a vegan too, after seeing my research and approach - and my daughter is a vegetarian by her own choices.

Things come around full circle if they are meant to be, I think someone with an open mind and compassion is the best choice because even if they are a meat eater they can ponder the reality of what they are doing and maybe make the change one day when the timing is right.
That is nice. :)

You said you went vegan on your own, but I suspect that your 7-year vegetarian wife had a bit to do with it. ;)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Vegans can date whoever they choose. If you don't want to date nonvegans, there's no reason you have to. On the other hand, there are plenty of vegans with nonvegan partners who live happy and fulfilled lives, whether or not their partner ever becomes vegan.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I've been married for 41 years. The last 11 of them I have been meat, egg and dairy free. My spouse is not. It can work.

If I were doing it again and was single, I think I would try and seek out someone who was vegetarian or vegan. Life must be awesome when you are sharing something so important with someone you love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
What is comfortable or comfort? we are all different.
Naturally the feelings that I have love for in vegan consumption extends to thinking concerning the act that leads to child propagation... The thought of having a child that is fed meat is alike to a horror film sequence. Even the thought of a child I have spawned coming into this world through a body sustained by meat is a frightening prospect. ...And it seems that sexual love and bonding naturally springs forth procreative directives. A person would have to be pretty special to allow a transcending feeling to override such thoughts. It could happen, maybe, never has.
Dating can be a serious quest for a potential soul-mate or it can be a game to play.
(But vegan relationships and even friendships don't really stand out that far apart from anyone else).
There is no right or wrong just personal choices.

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
What is comfortable or comfort? we are all different.
Naturally the feelings that I have love for in vegan consumption extends to thinking concerning the act that leads to child propagation... The thought of having a child that is fed meat is alike to a horror film sequence. Even the thought of a child I have spawned coming into this world through a body sustained by meat is a frightening prospect. ...And it seems that sexual love and bonding naturally springs forth procreative directives. A person would have to be pretty special to allow a transcending feeling to override such thoughts. It could happen, maybe, never has.
Dating can be a serious quest for a potential soul-mate or it can be a game to play.
(But vegan relationships and even friendships don't really stand out that far apart from anyone else).
There is no right or wrong just personal choices.
My omni husband is actually ok with raising our children vegan until they of an age to make their own choices. He understands where I'm coming from that I wish I had been given the option to have never consumed flesh. It's always simple enough for a kid to grow up and start eating animal products, but you can never take back having consumed it unknowingly before an age of reason and growing up to be morally opposed to it.

Even if we were both vegan, children do eventually reach an age they could choose to eat dairy, eggs or flesh and at that point, that would be THEIR choice. I would *hope* any child of mine remained vegan throughout life, but I also hope more to raise children who become adults who can think for themselves (even if they may hold views in the future that do not align with my own).

·
Registered
439 Posts
"It's always simple enough for a kid to grow up and start eating animal products, but you can never take back having consumed it unknowingly before an age of reason and growing up to be morally opposed to it."

Your husband understands this? or you have the dominant say so in the matter?

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
"It's always simple enough for a kid to grow up and start eating animal products, but you can never take back having consumed it unknowingly before an age of reason and growing up to be morally opposed to it."

Your husband understands this? or you have the dominant say so in the matter?
He understands it enough to agree that it's the right thing to do. Plus he is definitely not the type who takes anyone bossing him around and brow beating him into agreeing to things he doesn't agree with, even me. He has certainly overruled my opinion about other things we don't see eye to eye on. But my husband is intelligent and when posed with an intelligent POV that has no negatives, what reason would he have to object? Child who grows up and wants to remain vegan can feel comforted in the fact they never consumed animals, child who grows up and wants to consume animal products can. Theres no downside. He wouldn't have probably thought to do that on his own or with a wife who ate meat, so I guess I came up with the idea based on my own life experiences/values/desires, but he still agreed it was a good idea of his own free will.

·
Registered
439 Posts
He understands it enough to agree that it's the right thing to do. Plus he is definitely not the type who takes anyone bossing him around and brow beating him into agreeing to things he doesn't agree with, even me. He has certainly overruled my opinion about other things we don't see eye to eye on. But my husband is intelligent and when posed with an intelligent POV that has no negatives, what reason would he have to object? Child who grows up and wants to remain vegan can feel comforted in the fact they never consumed animals, child who grows up and wants to consume animal products can. Theres no downside. He wouldn't have probably thought to do that on his own or with a wife who ate meat, so I guess I came up with the idea based on my own life experiences/values/desires, but he still agreed it was a good idea of his own free will.
"What reason would he have to object?"...Which would mean he is not a person who believes that meat and/or dairy is essentially good or necessary for growth development... a typical common problem.

How strong can a persons vegan convictions grow when in a binding relationship with an omni?

·
Registered
439 Posts
It would be tough on some vegans to go to say, a slaughterhouse protest and then come home to a partner that is eating meat.
Convictions can and often do grow from a slight caring in the beginning to a real extreme offense. The more knowledge attained the more obscene it becomes... or is capable of becoming if observing the reality in clarity.

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
How strong can a persons vegan convictions grow when in a binding relationship with an omni?
I don't understand. I am my own person, I make decisions regarding my own body. I read and learn for my own benefit. I went vegetarian in the most unsupportive environment possible (my own family), I have never faltered and in fact grew into veganism. I did not and still do not need the approval of anyone to decide what my own beliefs are regarding right from wrong nor to grow on a personal level. My husband doesn't restrict me from choosing what to put in my mouth (nor do I him), and I wouldn't have married someone who felt that was his place.

Which would mean he is not a person who believes that meat and/or dairy is essentially good or necessary for growth development... a typical common problem.
He has become more informed and realizes it is not essential. He has changed where he sources meat, rarely eats it these days and cut out virtually all dairy after becoming more informed. I think many omnis, if they don't feel attacked or pressured or guilted, are open to learning and possibly even changing their views and habits (even if it's not to 100% vegan ideals). Then there are people like my family who are just... hopeless :furious: You don't get to choose who your related to, but you can choose not to have a partner who has a mind that is closed, locked and the key was thrown away long time ago. Not all omni's are confrontational vegan haters who think meat is the be all and end all of food and I think some omnis/vegan relationships will function just fine and being an omni is not a reason to immediately rule getting to know someone better out.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts