VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok obviously part of the vegan lifestyle is not wearing animal prodcuts like fur or wool, i get this but i dont get whats wrong with wool? i live in Australia and wool is a huge industry but it benefits the animal. Sheep have to be shorn, otherwise they'd die of heat exhaustion or something because it gets really hot in the country. So if we have to shear them, then what wrong with using the wool?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
You can check this out:

http://www.savethesheep.com/report.asp

I imagine that if great care were taken in the shearing, there wouldn't be a problem. Considering that it's a money making business, I don't think the welfare of the sheep is taken into consideration while doing it. It's shear the most sheep for the most profit, so many of the sheep are harmed.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
A sheep will naturally shed that outter layer of wool in the summer, but it might be strung from Oklahoma to Texas making it a little hard to collect. When they shear, many times the animals are cut, some even die because the shearing teams are just in too much off a hurry, the sheep is struggling. The team gets paid by the head or pelt..whatever. If it were done slowly and no animal were ever hurt, there would be nothing wrong with the wool. If you want to follow the woolies from Oklahoma to Texas during shedding season picking up the clumps of wool off of every bush you find, then go right ahead. That would be and animal friendly sweater/jumper(UK) you would have there.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Also they breed the sheeps to make the most wool possible, which makes them uncomfortable and develops health problems, and makes it harder to shear them without cutting their flesh (as the wooliest sheeps have deep, wrinkled skin).

·
Registered
190 Posts
remove the wool from the sheep industry then how economically viable does the sheep flesh industry become?

From what I have read I believe that without wool the sheep flesh industry would fail or become much more expensive.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Just what I was looking for!!

Earlier today my boyfriend was not seeing why i didnt want to use wool and I couldnt think of a better explanation than "its mean" hahahah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts