VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying I am going to see if health services will see me tomorrow, but calling them medical professionals is laughable at best.

I have a golf ball sized lump in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen. I noticed it yesterday. I had some pain in that region yesterday which I attributed to the scar tissue from my appendectomy last year (which I've been told by a doctor may just hurt forever), and I rubbed my abdomen at one point and noticed this huge lump. I believe it is where I had my drain placed, so there may be scar tissue there as well. It hurts when I poke it but it hurts like a bruise hurts when you poke it, not like it hurts when your organs are exploding. When I bend over I can feel the lump and it feels rather like a running cramp. I otherwise feel totally fine, but have become totally neurotic about abdominal pain since my appendix burst. Can scar tissue flair up, so to speak?? It is the only explanation I can come up with right now. I can't imagine it's a hernia... I understand those to hurt quite a bit...

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

Maybe an absess? Those can take quite some time to form, if there is a little pocket left in the scar tissue then bacteria can eventually form there, months after the original cause.
I maybe should have mentioned my surgery was 15 1/2 months ago. I did have a massive abscess then, hence the drain

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Is it in the right spot for an ovarian cyst? Do you have any other symptoms, particularly fever?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
scar tissue can be a real problem, esp internally. ive had several intestinal surgeries and now have major scar tissue problems--so you SHOULD be paranoid about problems in that area.

but a year really isn't enough to do much in the way of scar tissue problems. an absess is possible, as is a cyst, or a hernia--they don't always hurt so much.

are you able to see other doctors beside your school's health services?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess it could be where an ovarian cyst would be. It's about 1 inch above where my largest appendix scar is (I have 5).. which is about 1 inch to the left of my right hip bone (at least if you're me and looking down). I feel absolutely fine other than having this mildly sore lump. No fever, nausea, nothing. Actually was saying last night my stomach was feeling pretty good (which is rare because I've been nauscious for the past 15 years).

I am able to see doctors outside of health services, but my insurance (which is through the school from my graduate assistantship) is really sketchy about what they will and will not pay for... and I'm not exactly rolling in the funds right now. Last time I went to the doctor I got hit with a big bill for all the things they wouldn't cover. I thought if this is nothing, I could get it cleared at the health center and it wouldn't cost me anything. If they think it's something, then I'm going to call the REAL doctor and go see them and just deal with whatever my out of pocket costs end up being.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I'm glad that you are going to have it checked. That's important.

I have problems w/ my c-section scar. It causes me pain if I move or bend or if I lay on my side, it pulls kind of, hard to discribe. I have a marble size bump on one end of it. I think mine is an adhesion. With yours though, I would be concerned because this seems like something new that you haven't noticed before. Going to get it checked out is going to be the best thing for your peace of mind. Big hugs and good luck. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
637 Posts
An ultrasound should enable a doc to rule a lot of things out and maybe to identify the problem. My guess is a cyst (ovarian or other). But I'm no dr. and I can't examine you if I wanted... LOL. What would happen if you had this examined in the ER (pretending it hurts a lot ?)? Would your insurance pay for it ?

I just can't get over this health insurance coverage thing in the US and many other countries... as we have a different system which covers basic medical care for EVERYONE. If I went to an ER with this kind of problem they'd certainly use U/S, maybe X-ray or other stuff, and I'd be paying like 25 USD in the end, all the rest would be paid by my insurance. EVERY legal citizen in this country has this insurance... and when an illegal person needs medical attention, there's some sort of basic social fund to cover the expense, too.

Sorry for going on about this. It's just that the systems are so different... I have a hard time imagining that you are actually doubtful about having this examined because of financial considerations !

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by missbelgium View Post

I just can't get over this health insurance coverage thing in the US and many other countries... as we have a different system which covers basic medical care for EVERYONE. If I went to an ER with this kind of problem they'd certainly use U/S, maybe X-ray or other stuff, and I'd be paying like 25 USD in the end, all the rest would be paid by my insurance. EVERY legal citizen in this country has this insurance... and when an illegal person needs medical attention, there's some sort of basic social fund to cover the expense, too.

Sorry for going on about this. It's just that the systems are so different... I have a hard time imagining that you are actually doubtful about having this examined because of financial considerations !
You've hit on my biggest pet peeve...health insurance. We have to pay $680 out of our pocket for health insurance every month!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by missbelgium View Post

An ultrasound should enable a doc to rule a lot of things out and maybe to identify the problem. My guess is a cyst (ovarian or other). But I'm no dr. and I can't examine you if I wanted... LOL. What would happen if you had this examined in the ER (pretending it hurts a lot ?)? Would your insurance pay for it ?

It costs me $250 to walk into the ER, regardless of what they do when I'm there. That's 1/2 of my rent for the month. I'll do this the slow way, and just hope there is nothing seriously wrong.

I have an appointment in 40 minutes with a doctor I've never seen at the health center. Hopefully this one is competant, or at the very least, friendly.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am sure if there were something very wrong, you'd be vomiting or feeling worse than you apparently are...

It may console you to know that we pay huge taxes to finance our health care system. Nothing comes for nothing... The difference between my gross and net income is almost 50% !

btw... We have a standard fee for ER admittance too...but it's like 16 euros (20 USD roughly...).

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I actually saw a nice doctor. She spent nearly an hour with me, which was surprising. (It's spring break though, so the campus is a ghost town, overall) She doesn't know what it is. Good news is a) it's not an ovarian cyst, b) it's nothing that is imminently harmful. She doesn't *think* it's a hernia, or if it is it isn't a bad one, because of whatever it didn't do that hernia's tend to do. She made an appointment for me to see a surgeon on Tuesday, and then I'll have maybe a better idea of what is going on? She said it may just be weirdly acting scar tissue, but she isn't a surgeon and doesn't know everything that is within the realm of normal for scar tissue. Up until I go to the surgeon, I'm to take it easy, no exercising (argh!), no lifting heavy things (this isn't so bad, because that means Brett has to help with laundry), and if I start feeling worse then come back or go to the ER.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vawny_la_veg View Post

Sorry, I meant external scarring! That'll teach me to read everything before commenting... hopefully! Glad you had a good experience and are being referred. I hope you're doing okay though. xx
My external scars have mostly all faded. The one on my belly button looks the worst!! The other ones are mostly unnoticable.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Sounds positive over all, yes? Are you feeling better as well?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Sounds positive over all, yes? Are you feeling better as well?
Positive in that she doesn't anticipate any sort of emergency situation. Negative in that this may still be a surgical problem (hence the referral to a surgeon).

I wasn't really feeling *bad* persay... just a little sore. No moreso than I usually am with the other scar tissue though. I haven't been pain free for long stretches since the original surgery. It's just now pain that has shifted slightly north.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.