VeggieBoards banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

For example, being in a committed relationship gives you the same amount of happiness as x dollars. Having children is worth x dollars. Living in a temperate climate is worth x dollars. And so on and so on.
That's awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,511 Posts
They also figured out that people were the least happy when stuck in traffic and the most happy when they were having sex. So everything they rated was on a scale between driving in traffic and having sex.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Of course, most people need money to procure basic needs, but after a while, money and the things it can buy become a drug (sorry if that sounds cliche).

By choice, I make less than half of what I made 15 years ago (not even considering inflation and the much-higher cost of living where I presently live) and I'm ten times happier. Instead of working too hard to save up for dreams or "happy" events, I aspire to have a life that gives me happiness all around.

If you look at the money-happiness relationship in terms of being able to afford dream vacations, I think you're missing the big picture.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

If you look at the money-happiness relationship in terms of being able to afford dream vacations, I think you're missing the big picture.
I think if this is your focus, and you don't enjoy the process of doing it, then yes; I agree. However, I like the things I buy (or I wouldn't buy them; sans bills, of course.) I like vacations & travel, and I'd like to do those more.

That said, I am not kicking my ass now, dreading waking up, and forcing myself to earn money just so I can have those things. I don't mind waking up for work. I make my own schedule. I don't work more than 25 hours a week; and I love my job. Yes, I am fortunate in this, that I can have both, a job I like, and afford to do the outside-work things I like. I think money CAN buy things that make you happy (happiness,) but I also think you can be well-rounded in the process of getting said money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

They also figured out that people were the least happy when stuck in traffic and the most happy when they were having sex. So everything they rated was on a scale between driving in traffic and having sex.
Yeah, but what if you kill time in that highway gridlock by having sex? Hmmm?

I wouldn't mind if I never had to think about money again in my life. Which reminds me, I have to pay my electric bill today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,591 Posts
I think money can make you temporarily happy, when you get a new car that you love or go on a great vacation it definitely can make you happy, but that kind of happiness doesn't last.

To be truly happy I think it has to come from within.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,791 Posts
I am by no means rich, and I love to spend money, but I can tell you flat out it doesn't make me deeply heartfelt content and happy. Money only takes you so far. Hearfelt contentment and deep lasting happiness is a state of being within that no amount of money can buy. Now being able to give great sums of money or things to the needy would satisfy something deep in me. After all is said and done, it is just money. People are the riches in life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

By choice, I make less than half of what I made 15 years ago (not even considering inflation and the much-higher cost of living where I presently live) and I'm ten times happier. Instead of working too hard to save up for dreams or "happy" events, I aspire to have a life that gives me happiness all around.
If you did the same exact thing for a living and got a $20,000 pay raise, would you be happier? Or, would you be able to do things you cannot do now? What if it were $5,000 more a year? Or $200,000 more?

Alternately, if your pay was further cutby 75%, would you be less happy?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

If you did the same exact thing for a living and got a $20,000 pay raise, would you be happier? Or, would you be able to do things you cannot do now? What if it were $5,000 more a year? Or $200,000 more?

Alternately, if your pay was further cutby 75%, would you be less happy?
All other things staying constant, yeah, I'd be pleased. I get raises every year and it pleases me. That wasn't my point (I think you already know this and are toying with me). If I was miserable without the extra money, however, the money wouldn't make me any happier.

Like I said - everybody has a need for some money. If my salary was cut by 75% then I'd quit my job and find something else to do. If I was incapable of doing that (illness, being in jail, on the lam, etc.) then those conditions are what would be making me miserable.

Anyway, what's a lovely, young, rich hipster like yourself doing on VeggieBoards on a Friday night, when you could be out spending your money?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,777 Posts
heh yeah. that was awesome.

The cashier was all, "so what are you making with this pumpkin?"

I said, "beer"

She said, "no way!! beer?! can I come over?"

She was pretty cute, so I gave her my number and a wink, and told her to come over for the time of her life* and she was all "yeahhhhh" and I said "you won't regret it."


*may not reflect actual events
 
41 - 60 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top