VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can tell me how to make nut milks, that would be wonderful. I've been searching, but can't seem to find a recipe, just products for sale.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
It's pretty easy. Soak some almonds (or whatever raw nuts you want to use) overnight then whirr them up with some water and sweetner. You'll probably have to strain it if you want a smooth milk.

I could have SWORN I had a method somewhere in my files, but I don't. Sorry.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been making a nice almond nut milk I like. Soak 1 cup raw almonds (or any nut you want, for that matter) overnight. Remove the skins from the almonds before blending. Put in blender with 3 cups of water. (The recipe has optional ingredients to sweeten -- a few drops of almond or vanilla extract and/or about a teaspoon of maple syrup -- but I like it without sweeteners.) Blend until creamy, about 2 minutes. Chill. Strain or drink it thick. When refrigerated, nut milk keeps for 2 days.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Actually, I'm not sure if the skins need to be removed from the almonds. Tomorrow, I'm going to try making it with the skins on. It may not matter . . . .

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the ratio of nuts to milk? I don't have a refrigerator at the moment, so I need to make things in small quantities.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

What is the ratio of nuts to milk? I don't have a refrigerator at the moment, so I need to make things in small quantities.
The recipe I gave makes about 2 cups milk.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi everyone, there is no rule when it comes to the nut/water ratio. Here is a general guideline though (but again, there are no rules)

1.5:1 ratio = creamiest mylk

2:1 ratio = creamier mylk

3:1 ratio = economical mylk

Explained, 1.5:1 means 1 1/2 cup of water to 1 cup of nuts. 2:1 means 2 cups of water to 1 cup of nuts. 3:1 means 3 cups of water to 1 cup of nuts.

When you soak nuts, they will expand. However, you measure them dry. So for example, a cup of almonds could end up more like a cup and a half after they are soaked.

I do not measure the water when I make raw veggie mylks. I just add just enough water to constitute blending and that is it. This allows me to make the creamiest mylk possible. However, it is not the most economical. The more water you add, the more mylk you will have. The only down side to this is that it will not be as creamy (more watered down).

Also, it is not necessary to remove the skin off of soaked almonds. Also, you do not need to strain if you do not want to, that is all up to you. I strain it though because I prefer a smooth mylk.
LL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelWilson View Post

Hi everyone, there is no rule when it comes to the nut/water ratio. Here is a general guideline though (but again, there are no rules)

1.5:1 ratio = creamiest mylk

2:1 ratio = creamier mylk

3:1 ratio = economical mylk

Explained, 1.5:1 means 1 1/2 cup of water to 1 cup of nuts. 2:1 means 2 cups of water to 1 cup of nuts. 3:1 means 3 cups of water to 1 cup of nuts.

When you soak nuts, they will expand. However, you measure them dry. So for example, a cup of almonds could end up more like a cup and a half after they are soaked.

Also, it is not necessary to remove the skin off of soaked almonds. Also, you do not need to strain if you do not want to, that is all up to you. I strain it though because I prefer a smooth mylk.
I have a recipe that says 4:1, water to nuts. So, make it how you like it. Just keep in mind, the more water you use, the more milk you will get. That's a consideration if you don't have a fridge.

Yesterday, I didn't remove the skins from my soaked almonds. The only difference in the milk was that it wasn't quite as white, and the pulp was very brownish. No big deal. Boy, I'm glad I found that out! Getting those skins off is very time-consuming.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Here's a recipe for the easiest, tastiest nut milk ever, stolen from Raw Food in the Real World:

30-Second Nut Milk

2 heaping Tbsp raw almond butter (or other raw nut butter)

2 cups filtered water

Pinch sea salt

2 Tbsp agave nectar (or other liquid sweetener)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

This really does taste good, and it only takes seconds. I buy my raw almond butter at Trader Joes. It's a great base for smoothies since it's quick and you'll be using your blender anyway.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I just put a handful of nuts into the blender, with however much water, usually more than most recommend, I find it really doesnt matter, and it stretches it. I like commas.

Then I blend it. And then strain it in a nutmilk bag, which is like cheesecloth, a really small mesh. Then I gots milk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts