VeggieBoards banner

can i freeze baby spinach?

8K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Identity_thief 
#1 ·
i bought some baby spinach in a bag from the grocery store like when you buy salad mix. can i freeze that and is there a certain way to do it so that it doesnt get freezer burnt. im definately not going to eat it in the next few days

#2 ·
If you want to eat it like salad, I'd say definitely no. If you're going to reduce it for a recipe or sautee it, then it should freeze just fine.

#3 ·
I don't know if this works or not, but I've heard blanching it (boiling in water for about 3 minutes) helps.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

i bought some baby spinach in a bag from the grocery store like when you buy salad mix. can i freeze that and is there a certain way to do it so that it doesnt get freezer burnt. im definately not going to eat it in the next few days
I will buy some tommorow and put it my freezer to find out for you.

Give me a couple of days and I will let you know what happens

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

If you want to eat it like salad, I'd say definitely no. If you're going to reduce it for a recipe or sautee it, then it should freeze just fine.
Yep what I was thinking. It will go slimey and not be crisp when you dethaw it but wet. That's probally okay if you're going to cook it, as that's pretty much what cooking does anyway, but if you wanted to eat it like salad than I'd say a big ol' no.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.