VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello sorry if this an awkward question but I'm scared.
So last week I went full vegan for a week but couldn't keep it up and just went back to a junk food eating vegetarian and now my period so far is one week late does that have something to do with my vegetarian to vegan back to vegetarian all happening in the span of one week? And I know I can't be pregnant or anything because I've never done any of that nasty stuff I'm only 16 and this is my 3rd year with a period so not sure if that'll change anything I don't know but please let me know and this is very awkward for me to ask.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is really a question for your OBGYN. But it probably has nothing to do with being vegan. And probably nothing to worry about either. Young women are notorious for not running on schedule.

However.....

There is something diet related that can be an issue. but its really about not being a week late but not having periods for months. By the way, this condition is called amenorrhea. And its one of the symptoms of what is called the Female Athlete Triad. I think the Triad is too few calories, too little body fat, and too much exercise. And the solution is pretty obvious: eat more, exercise less.

Besides amenorrhea, another health issue of the FAT is a loss of bone mass.

For a really good article on this subject, you can read

http://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/what-really-causes-irregular-menstrual-cycles-in-female-athletes

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is really a question for your OBGYN. But it probably has nothing to do with being vegan. And probably nothing to worry about either. Young women are notorious for not running on schedule.

However.....

There is something diet related that can be an issue. but its really about not being a week late but not having periods for months. By the way, this condition is called amenorrhea. And its one of the symptoms of what is called the Female Athlete Triad. I think the Triad is too few calories, too little body fat, and too much exercise. And the solution is pretty obvious: eat more, exercise less.

Besides amenorrhea, another health issue of the FAT is a loss of bone mass.

For a really good article on this subject, you can read

http://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/what-really-causes-irregular-menstrual-cycles-in-female-athletes

·
Vegan since 1991
3,667 Posts
Hello sorry if this an awkward question but I'm scared.
So last week I went full vegan for a week but couldn't keep it up and just went back to a junk food eating vegetarian and now my period so far is one week late does that have something to do with my vegetarian to vegan back to vegetarian all happening in the span of one week? And I know I can't be pregnant or anything because I've never done any of that nasty stuff I'm only 16 and this is my 3rd year with a period so not sure if that'll change anything I don't know but please let me know and this is very awkward for me to ask.
Very good questions, not awkward.

According to the Mayo Clinic, amenorrhea (loss of menstrual period) can be caused by many things: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/amenorrhea/symptoms-causes/syc-20369299

Were you eating enough during the week that you ate vegan? Plenty of pasta, beans, nuts, sauces? Young women need plenty of calories.

Reactions: Mr. H.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts