VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new vegetarian and I'm still in the process of re-learning all about nutrition. Can anyone let me know if the following foods are considered fattening?<br><br><br><br>
peanut butter<br><br>
cashews<br><br>
eggplant<br><br>
parmesan cheese<br><br>
olive oil<br><br>
canola oil<br><br><br><br><br><br>
These are my favorite foods so far (still exploring new ones) and I tend to eat them frequently. However if they are known to add weight then I will try to eat them less frequently.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Also for those of you who converted to vegetarianism/vegan eating did you experience significant weight loss?<br><br><br><br>
I'm hoping to lose a lot of fat and gain muscle (through bodybuilding and cardio). Thanks for sharing any info or experiences.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "fattening". For example, peanut butter has a lot of calories/volume, but you generally don't use a lot, and it a source of protein. Oils are good sources of fats, etc. (you need some fat)<br><br><br><br>
You mentioned weight issues a couple of times in your short time here. Maybe healthful eating should be the goal?

·
Registered
0 Posts
going vegetarian won't automatically help you lose weight. I gained 10 pounds when I stopped eating fish (I gave up dairy and eggs long before that)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Fats and oils of all descriptions are concentrated sources of calories. Many calories per tablespoon.<br><br><br><br>
It is true that all the fat sources you mentioned have good *kinds* of fats; fats that work against metabolic problems like heart disease. However, this doesn't mean they have fewer calories. A tablespoon of butter, a tablespoon of olive oil, a tablespoon of lard, a tablespoon of peanut oil contain essentially equal calories.<br><br><br><br>
All nuts are rich in oil. They've got a lot of nutritional upsides, but you get a lot of calories per ounce as well.<br><br><br><br>
You don't need to stop eating these things, but it would be well not to rely on them as dietary mainstays if weight loss is the goal. Add in more veggies - they are not at all calorie dense, and the more you eat of them the more you tend to like and want them. A lot of what 'tastes good' is programmed by what we're used to eating. Or so it has been for me.<br><br><br><br>
Good luck,<br><br><br><br>
Jeanne

·
Registered
29 Posts
The question isn't really if they are fattening - it's just that some of the foods are more calorie-dense than others. You can eat buckets more eggplant than peanut butter for the same amount of calories. That's not to say that peanut butter shouldn't have a place in your diet - but be careful on the portion size.<br><br><br><br>
Calorie-dense - peanut butter, cashews, parmesan cheese, olive oil, canola oil<br><br>
Not very calorie-dense - eggplant (all vegetables, really)<br><br><br><br>
I've lost about 10 pounds in the last month. This happened because I adopted a vegan diet, but also because I have been having vegetables as the main part of my lunches and dinners, with smaller portions of carbs (ie. buckwheat soba noodles, rice, sweet potatoes) on the side. I eat lots of salads (with Annie's Organic Green Garlic dressing YUM!) with 1/4 of an avocado on it to get some good fats. I am satisfied and comfortably full after these meals because I am getting a lot of volume of food for relatively few calories.<br><br><br><br>
I'd say, load up on veggies and salad as much as you can and enjoy some healthful fats (nuts, olive oil, etc.) and you will be full and will most likely lose some weight. I'm not advocating a low-carb diet or anything like that - I'm just telling you what has been working for me. I still have carbs for breakfast - usually, spelt flakes with rice milk or puffed millet with rice milk - and eat some fruit.

·
Registered
995 Posts
peanut butter is calorie dense but fine to eat in moderation<br><br>
cashews I think nuts are a great snack! All said and done they are better than a muffin, just be smart and do not eat massive amounts<br><br><br><br>
eggplant is a veggie and healthy all around eat away<br><br><br><br>
parmesan cheese calorie dense but like any fat it is not fatning unless you are eating loads, moderation is fine but I gotta say most parmesan is not vegetarian<br><br><br><br>
olive oil are you crazy!?!?!?! I LIVE by this stuff, well ok maybe it can be fatning if you use to much but it is a good oil and a healthy amount of fat in your diet is what helps keep your skin and hair etc in good healthy condition.<br><br><br><br>
canola oil I personaly do not see any reason to use this stuff but in moderation there is no problem with it.<br><br><br><br>
Just make the bulk of your diet fruits and veggies.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
why those foods in particular?<br><br>
those all contain fats, except for the eggplant.., which are necessary to function. to little fat and your skin is dry, your nerves aren't lubricated, you can't function without fat.. eat them in moderation.. i'm a busy college student and eat pb often enough.. my diet tends to be 12% protein, 58-65% carbs and about 30% fat.. and i'm not gaining weight..

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
that is true Amy, i hadn't thought about that..<br><br>
i honestly don't see foods as fattening anymore.. just "does it taste good? is it healthy? will it kill me (cos a few foods give me hives)?"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts