VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been almost-vegan for about three weeks now (veggie for a year), and as of this morning (April 1st - no fool!) have finished all my old shower gels, shampoos etc. from companies that test on animals, the soy cheese with casein in it (grrr!) and am now a full-blown "no animal products will enter my life if I have anything to say about it" vegan.

I'm spending Easter with my BF and his family though, so will be faced with the inevitable barrage of "but WHY are free range eggs bad? If we had a chicken in the garden would you eat it's eggs?". I know that eggs/milk = bad and I am happy having made that decision for myself, but when it comes to justifying it to other people I fall apart, and can't articulate my opinions.

Any advice?

·
Registered
0 Posts
It can stress chickens out to have their eggs taken from them. How would they feel if their newborn was taken away? Confused? Destressed? Depressed? Angry? Probably.

Milk is for baby cows.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
the important thing to remember, whether or not you can come up with convincing reasons not to on the spot, is not to do anything you wouldn't normally do (i.e. eating eggs or dairy). Otherwise you will regret it. If you can't fight back with witty retorts, simple "case closed" comments like "I don't want to discuss it" or "I don't agree with it" or whatever will do. Don't get pulled into any arguments if you don't want to, you shouldn't feel defensive on a holiday, you should be enjoying yourself

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
For every female cow or chicken that produces milk and eggs for human consumption, even on an ethical farm, the males that are born are killed because they aren't "useful". By not supporting the enslavement of the females, you're also withdrawing your support from the death of the males.

I'm not vegan, but I'm leaning in that direction, and that's pretty much the main reason I avoid milk and eggs as much as possible. Besides, there are so few "ethical" farms out there. Most of the milk and eggs come from animals in cramped quarters that can barely move.

--Fromper

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I don't think you should justify your choice at all. Tell them it's personal and you'd prefer not to go into it. Are they religious? What about bringing it back to something that is personal to them, like "As your choice of religion is personal to you, my decision to go vegan is personal to me." Or something like that.

Or, tell them that you're bad at articulating your opinions and would be happy to email them information about their questions once you got back home.

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Author Harold W. Becker defines Unconditional Love as "an unlimited way of being." From his book of the same title, Becker goes on to say that "the greatest power known to man is that of unconditional love. Through the ages, mystics, sages, singers and poets all expressed the ballad and call to love. As humans, we searched endlessly for the experience of love through the outer senses. Great civilizations have come and gone under the guise of love for their people. Religions have flourished and perished while claiming the true path to love. We, the people of this planet, may have missed the simplicity of unconditional love. ...Simply stated, unconditional love is an unlimited way of being. We are without any limit to our thoughts and feelings in life and can create any reality we choose to focus our attention upon. The qualities of love are endless and the expressions are infinite. The power of unconditional love is within each of us."

From.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconditional_love

·
Registered
454 Posts
In response to the free range egg argument, I did research last night and learned that free range eggs are also over crowded, just not in cages. As a result of the stress over crowding causes them, they are still debeaked just like battery caged chickens. Thir beaks have full feeling in them and some chickens die from shock just from the pain of it. The debeaking is done by either burning or cutting.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys - I knew you wouldn't let me down!

One of the joys of being chief shopper and cook is that my boyfriend has been eating veggie for weeks and doesn't even realise. The silly thing is, if I told him he was eating a veggie/vegan meal, he'd turn his nose up at it!

He's not too bad though - asks a few questions then drops the subject. It's his mother who gets all huffy and judgemental when I explain I can't eat the past because it's got parmesan in it, and no, parmesan isn't usually vegetarian. BUT IT'S CHEESE!

Yes, I know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts