1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.hospitalitymagazine.com.a...2/0c0188e2.asp

Quote:
Thats no vege - thats a fish

The Vegetarian Society is planning a blitz on restaurants and caterers that serve up fish as a vegetarian option.

But the campaign has been dismissed as unnecessary by the Restaurant Association.

The Vegetarian Society's "Fishconception" campaign kicks off on 12 August in a bid to educate the "surprisingly significant" number of establishments that the society claims are labouring under the misconception that vegetarians eat fish.

This myth needs to be debunked, the society claimed.

It has collected anecdotal evidence from vegetarians, including one who complained of being given a tuna sandwich described on the menu as vegetarian sandwich at a private hospital in central London after an operation.

Michael Gottlieb, president of the Restaurant Association, described that sort of incident as stupidity and not giving a damn.

But he added: I dont think there needs to be an educational campaign. Its not a major issue, as much as it might annoy vegetarians.

But Liz ONeill, head of marketing and public relations at the Vegetarian Society, said: Many of our members and other vegetarians tell us about restaurants, cafés and pubs that seem to expect them to eat fish.

"Its an issue of great concern to the Vegetarian Society, so we are putting significant resources into a campaign aiming to dispel this fish-conception once and for all.

The programme will comprise a light-hearted advertising campaign and encouragement of direct customer feedback to ignorant eateries.

Wallet-sized cards have been produced which can be left on the table, giving the definition of vegetarianism and details about free caterers advice and recipe packs available.

Survey results will shortly be published about how vegetarians feel about establishments that serve fish as a vegetarian dish.

25 July 2003
Thanks to ObsidianZebra for this link.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
OMG Kurm ... now what will you do with that fish tree in your back yard

----------------------

"he added ........ Its not a major issue, as much as it might annoy vegetarians."

------------------------

Nice that someone feels alright in making a judgement call on someone else's behalf ... geesh!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hm, I've gone to what I think is the AU Veg. Soc. website (http://www.veg-soc.org/index.html) and can't find anything about a campaign. Am I looking in the wrong place, perhaps?

Oh, wait, found something at http://www.vegsoc.org/, which is a UK organisation. Filled out the survey - even if I live in Midwest U.S. Here's the link to info about their campaign: http://www.vegsoc.org/press/pr39.html

Hope this idea spreads across the Atlantic - through the Pacific, and onwards . . . .

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dk_art

----------------------

"he added ........ Its not a major issue, as much as it might annoy vegetarians."

------------------------

Nice that someone feels alright in making a judgement call on someone else's behalf ... geesh!
yeah no kidding. for people in that situatin it IS a big deal. it's not just an annoyance.

i say we open a restaurant and try to serve boots to omnis. when they argue that it's footwear and not food we'll say "what? oh it's food i promise. just eat it, it's not a big deal"

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called the Australian Vegetarian Society and yeah, they said it is the British one running this campaign. They (Aus one) also mentioned they (UK one) are trying to get a legal definition in fo the word vegetarian which will include "no fish". That'll mean people can start suing.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

i say we open a restaurant and try to serve boots to omnis. when they argue that it's footwear and not food we'll say "what? oh it's food i promise. just eat it, it's not a big deal"
LOL... call it "the omnivoire". When they gripe about it being a boot and not food, we can say "well, omnis eat anything and a boot is anything, so...."

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I`ve just found an interesting link concerning fish and radiation:

Quote:
umptuous Sellafield salmon sarnies?

Radioactivity checks on farmed salmon from Scotland and Northern Ireland exposed to Sellafield radiation show that there is no cause for concern from eating these fish....

http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/news.asp?id=8070

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Wallet-sized cards have been produced which can be left on the table, giving the definition of vegetarianism
Despite my alleged "fish issues," which essentially amount to a policy of peace, love, and linguistic/historical understanding ... I had this idea!!!! And it's a good one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.