VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cambridge Primate Laboratory - Time For Action

The government is to decide in the next few weeks whether to approve plans to build a new primate testing laboratory for Cambridge University at Girton. Despite strong local opposition, Tony Blair has spoken out in favour of the laboratory, as has the multimillionaire science minister Lord Sainsbury, a Blair crony with vested interests in genetic technology, who has paid for his title and his job with £8.5 million in donations to the Labour Party. Given this, it seems that the decision to go ahead is now a foregone conclusion.

This issue is a watershed for the anti-vivisection movement as well as for the vivisectors themselves. Professor Roger Lemon, the director of the Institute of Neurology at University College London, is on record as saying that should the proposals fail to go through "it would be a signal to the whole medical research community that new developments" are "no longer possible - not just the Huntingdon Road development. It would effectively be a signal that would block any new animal-research facility for the foreseeable future."

After 6 years of government broken promises and lies, the number of experiments on animals is rising year by year. Now this corrupt and disgraced government is trying to force through plans for a primate laboratory in the face of fierce opposition from the public, the local council, campaigners and even the police.

It is absolutely vital that we now draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough. The movement must mobilise as one to oppose the building of this laboratory, fighting them brick by brick, stone by stone, if necessary. If they are allowed to get away this one, it will be a setback for the animals and the movement of huge proportions.

With the decision imminent, now is the time to begin planning our campaign in earnest. Over the next few months we will be gradually increasing the pressure. We must leave the government and the university in no doubt about the anger and determination they will face should they attempt to go ahead with this plan.

The first date for the diary is a day of actions/publicity/mass leafletting in Cambridge on Saturday August 23rd. The plan is to stage a series of actions on the day, ranging from publicity and press stunts, leafletting shoppers, tourists and door to door, to demos and home visits. This will allow groups and individuals to select the actions which best suit them. As well as publicising the issue, we will also be advertising the forthcoming public meeting in Cambridge, and importantly the National March and Rally in Cambridge on October 11th.

Additionally we will be organising co-ordinated mail/phone/letter campaigns against key individuals and organisations and encouraging individuals to organise their own initiatives on this most vital of issues.

Remember it is much easier to prevent a hellhole like this being built than it will be to close it once it is established.

Stop Primate Experiments At Cambridge Diary Dates (Not in calendar order)

** Saturday 11th October, National March and Rally in Cambridge. Details are being planned now, but please keep this date free, and start spreading the word and organising transport. Details 07957 588 253

** Saturday 23rd August, Day of Action/publicity/mass-leafletting in Cambridge, to highlight the proposed primate lab and to publicise the forthcoming national demo and public meeting. Meeting from 12noon, in Cambridge. Transport from London, Phone 07957 588253 for details.

** Wednesday 3rd September, Public Meeting at in Cambridge. This will an important step in building up local opposition to

the primate lab. Bear in mind this will be a PR exercise, so we will also be highlighting non-animal issues such as destruction of green belt and threats to public order. Phone 07957 588253 for details.

--------------------------------

official x-cape campaign website.

this was received from veggies.

The Animal Rights Calendar is compiled by Veggies Catering Campaign, to co-ordinate animal rights campaign events throughout the UK.

·
Registered
495 Posts
This laboratory will open over my dead body!! I've sent quite a long e-mail (I can't remember who I sent it to now, lol) but little old me probably won't make much of an impact.

Thanks for the diary dates, I didn't know about them. I'll certainly be seeing if any coaches are going up to Cambridge for at least one of those occasions.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good to hear veggietrash !!!!!!

i hope you can make it along to the demo's ....

i will be in england in september so i hope there might be some demo's then that i can go along to.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I LOVE going Cambridge -- I went on a SHAC rally on World Day for Lab Animals earlier this year, it was electric. Although it's a 2 and a half hour coach journey it's worth it!!

Hey we might bump into each other in September
where about in England are you staying?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll be staying in cambridge veggitrash.

also in london maybe for a few nights but we (me and my BF) will be based in cambridge most of the time.

we'll also be going to alot of demo's cause the people we are staying with are AR activists directly involved with the X-CAPE campaign.

will you be going to the national vegan festival on september 14th in london? we are holding a stall there (like last year) and i'm so excited!

we might see you somewhere, yeah?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are now regular weekly demos each Monday at 307 Huntingdon Rd, the site for the proposed Cambridge Monkey lab.

On the first demo last Monday, police closed off a lane of the busy A14 dual carriageway in rush hour, slowing traffic down considerably for two hours. This will give the university and the police a foretaste of the massive disruption they face if they decide to go ahead.

Demos are 4pm - 6pm each Monday, meet 307 Huntingdon Rd, Cambridge.

more info >>>> x-cape campaign

·
Registered
878 Posts
ooooo i wish i lived near there !!

even tho i live in canada can i like write a letter or email or sumthing ?

eeee i wana help !

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by with_open_eyes

i'll be staying in cambridge veggitrash.

also in london maybe for a few nights but we (me and my BF) will be based in cambridge most of the time.

we'll also be going to alot of demo's cause the people we are staying with are AR activists directly involved with the X-CAPE campaign.

will you be going to the national vegan festival on september 14th in london? we are holding a stall there (like last year) and i'm so excited!

we might see you somewhere, yeah?
WOW!! Man am I jealous!! Tell the X Cape guys from me that I think they're fab, and if I lived in Cambridge I'd be spending all my time there protesting!!

I'm definitely going up on October 11th for the national rally, because it's very likely that a coach will be organised. If not, I'll think of some other way to get there. I've already started making my banner, and my heart is set on going!

I was thinking about going to the Vegan festival (even though I'm not properly vegan... yet) because I haven't been around any nice people for ages and was hoping for an event like this.

So, providing I can get the transport (I hate trains.. but I *might* be able to bear it for a lovely vegan festival) then I'll definitely be coming. Hopefully I'll see you there!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by VeggiTash

WOW!! Man am I jealous!! Tell the X Cape guys from me that I think they're fab, and if I lived in Cambridge I'd be spending all my time there protesting!!

I'm definitely going up on October 11th for the national rally, because it's very likely that a coach will be organised. If not, I'll think of some other way to get there. I've already started making my banner, and my heart is set on going!

I was thinking about going to the Vegan festival (even though I'm not properly vegan... yet) because I haven't been around any nice people for ages and was hoping for an event like this.

So, providing I can get the transport (I hate trains.. but I *might* be able to bear it for a lovely vegan festival) then I'll definitely be coming. Hopefully I'll see you there!
awesome !!!!! i will definately pass on your kind words to them for sure.

anyone can go to vegan festival (vegan or not) - i hope you can get some kind of transport there. maybe check with your local AR group or get in contact with someone to see if you can grab a lift with someone else who is going
and if i can make it all the way from germany, you have to make it from another part of england to london
hehehe

it will be so worth it. a full day devoted to cruelty free living with like minded people. i really can't wait !!!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Wow, all the way from Germany?!! I really have no excuse not to be there!

I've been trying to track down some people from my local AR group, but so far no luck. I'm meeting some veggies and vegans on monday though (for a picnic) so perhaps they'll be some good luck there. Also, my family adore London-- I might be able to get my Dad to drive us up there. They can go shopping, and I can go mix with people I can actually talk to.

Either way I'm still planning on getting to both events -- I've almost finished my banner and I don't want it going to waste!

Once I've spoken to the AR people, I can make definite plans on where I can (or can't) go.

Fingers crossed!!

P.S. I was born in Hannover!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggiTash View Post

Wow, all the way from Germany?!! I really have no excuse not to be there!

I've been trying to track down some people from my local AR group, but so far no luck. I'm meeting some veggies and vegans on monday though (for a picnic) so perhaps they'll be some good luck there. Also, my family adore London-- I might be able to get my Dad to drive us up there. They can go shopping, and I can go mix with people I can actually talk to.

Either way I'm still planning on getting to both events -- I've almost finished my banner and I don't want it going to waste!

Once I've spoken to the AR people, I can make definite plans on where I can (or can't) go.

Fingers crossed!!

P.S. I was born in Hannover!
oh no, i just realised that i accidently put an R in your name which made it trash. i do hope that you forgive me.
ops:

that sounds great. i hope you do get along to the vegan festival.

make sure you come to say hello to me (sarah). i will be there doing the stall "roots of compassion"

i'm not far from hannover, well about 2.5 hours or so

sprechen sie deutsch?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi Sarah (with_open-eyes),

I am definately going to the Vegan Festival on 14th Sept, sounds great!

I'll look out for you once I'm there.

I would also love to attend the day of action in Cambridge on 11th Oct. I live in Chigwell, Essex, & would want to drive there, but don't know if there would be parking once I got there?

I am a PETA activist & will have to find out if they are doing anything on 11th Oct. If they are, maybe they'll lay on transport!?

Keep up the good work

Miranda

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpandaXmirandaX View Post

Hi Sarah (with_open-eyes),

I am definately going to the Vegan Festival on 14th Sept, sounds great!

I'll look out for you once I'm there.

I would also love to attend the day of action in Cambridge on 11th Oct. I live in Chigwell, Essex, & would want to drive there, but don't know if there would be parking once I got there?

I am a PETA activist & will have to find out if they are doing anything on 11th Oct. If they are, maybe they'll lay on transport!?

Keep up the good work

Miranda
hi miranda!

oh goodie, another VB'er going to the vegan festival. how exciting

there will be some people at the festival from the x-cape campaign so you can talk with them about parking etc for the 11th oct demo .....

i would also recommend getting in contact with them via this email address >>> [email protected] about transport ....

see you then.

**sarah**

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've been having a few problems with this thread (it wouldn't let me post!), so I hope this works now. Also Sarah, I sent you a PM but I don't think that worked either
nevermind!!

I have good news -- I'll be able to go to the vegan festival, whoo hoo!! So now I can see you (and hopefully Miranda too)!

I'm soo excited. I can't wait to meet all the nice people there. My Dad is driving me to London (and going shopping), so as long as he doesn't go back on his word and find something better to do on Sept 14th, I'm definitely going.

I still need to see about transport for the October 11th event, but I'm pretty determined to get there so should find a way somehow!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey! That's cool, seems I will meet you both, will be cool!

Sarah, I have already e-mailed x-cape, but it was mainly about the fact that they have too many disturbing images on their site, it made me feel physically sick! I find all that much too upsetting!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

I've been having a few problems with this thread (it wouldn't let me post!), so I hope this works now. Also Sarah, I sent you a PM but I don't think that worked either
nevermind!!

I have good news -- I'll be able to go to the vegan festival, whoo hoo!! So now I can see you (and hopefully Miranda too)!

I'm soo excited. I can't wait to meet all the nice people there. My Dad is driving me to London (and going shopping), so as long as he doesn't go back on his word and find something better to do on Sept 14th, I'm definitely going.

I still need to see about transport for the October 11th event, but I'm pretty determined to get there so should find a way somehow!
hi there,

i *did* get your PM and i wrote back to you - did you not receive it? oh no!

i just basically said that is great your dad will drive to london - YAY!

did you tell the mods about the trouble you were having posting in this thread?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by with_open_eyes View Post

hi there,

i *did* get your PM and i wrote back to you - did you not receive it? oh no!

i just basically said that is great your dad will drive to london - YAY!

did you tell the mods about the trouble you were having posting in this thread?
Glad you got the PM! I didn't get the reply though, I think VB was having a mood swing with me! I was going to report it to the mods, but kinda forgot.. oops. Is it too late now?

19 days left until the festival

I'm saving up my money already and am planning on going on a major shopping spree when I get there!

Will your stand be selling all the stuff on the rootsofcompassion website?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Glad you got the PM! I didn't get the reply though, I think VB was having a mood swing with me! I was going to report it to the mods, but kinda forgot.. oops. Is it too late now?

19 days left until the festival

I'm saving up my money already and am planning on going on a major shopping spree when I get there!

Will your stand be selling all the stuff on the rootsofcompassion website?
only 19 days - yippeeeee

yes, i have saved a bit of money too so i can go on a shopping spree between spending time at our stand. hehehe

we would love to bring everything from our shop but it's physically impossible. we will bring most of our button designs (not all), all t-shirt designs, all stickers, bags and maybe posters .... but if anyone from VB wants something in particular from our shop, i would only be happy to bring it along for them.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by with_open_eyes View Post

only 19 days - yippeeeee

yes, i have saved a bit of money too so i can go on a shopping spree between spending time at our stand. hehehe

we would love to bring everything from our shop but it's physically impossible. we will bring most of our button designs (not all), all t-shirt designs, all stickers, bags and maybe posters .... but if anyone from VB wants something in particular from our shop, i would only be happy to bring it along for them.

Excellent!!

It's those fab buttons I have my eye on mostly! Ooh and the stickers look quite good. I don't know what it is about AR stickers but I just love stickin' them everywhere!

I never imagined I'd get to meet fellow VB-ers! Yay

I hope more people find a way to get to London! It'd be nice to have a UK VB meetup. *sigh*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts