VeggieBoards banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I am new here, but have been eating a plant based diet for about a year now.

When I ate like a "normie" I weighed about 230 - 250 and now weigh about 170 which is where I stay all the time now, for a year.

With that in mind, I hate calories. I think focusing on calories and calories alone as the one and only contributor to weight loss is making people blind.

People are eating foods absolutely loaded with sugar but come in handy little "100 calorie packs" and 15 grams of sugar. But I won't rant on that right now.

I am writing this because I hardly eat any calories. I am a male and according to every "expert" I should be eating 2,500 calories a day just to be "healthy" and maintain my weight. As if simply eating 2,500 calories per day is equal to health...another reason why I don't bother with calories.

So I was curious as to how many calories I eat in a typical day so I started counting those calories. The number I came up with was very low for what I "should" be eating.

A typical day for me could be anywhere from 850 calories to maybe around 1200 and there are some days I know I eat higher calorie foods (avocados, nuts, etc) but I know I'm never coming too close to that 2,500 mark.

Here's the thing though. If you go on any forum or anywhere else and tell somebody that you only eat this many calories...people FREAK OUT!

"Your're starving"

"That's not healthy"

"Stop trying to lose weight so fast"

"Starvation mode...bla bla"

Here are the FACTS about me in relation to these calories.

1) I eat all day long. I have a veggie juice (that I make myself) for breakfast. I follow that up with some raw sunflower seeds as a snack all morning.

For lunch I may eat a whole large squash sauteed in some coconut oil or some mushrooms or a salad with spinach and a bunch of veggies in there. Dinner is usually the same. I have a wild rice and quinoa mix I found that is awesome, so I add some broccoli to that and eat it. This is not exactly what I eat every single day, but this is the idea. I may have broccoli instead of squash, or a veggie wrap instead of either of them, or a bowl of fruit when we have some in season.

This is just an idea of the TYPES of things I eat..

After dinner I have my shake. This shake is freaking amazing and is made with almond milk, a banana, some dates, raw cashews, 1 cup of carrot juice (I make myself), cacao powder, maca powder, veggie protein mix (1 scoop)

This shake alone is about 400 calories I figured out one day, so it is by far the biggest single item I have that has a majority of calories for me.

2) I am NOT trying to lose weight. I am at my body's ideal weight. I am 6'0 and don't think I could really be much lighter even if I wanted, which I don't.

3) I am NEVER deprived. I eat and snack because I love to do it and because I eat great foods that do not promote weight gain. I am never starving, or even remotely close to it. I always feel good I am hardly brittle, weak or falling apart at the seams.

4) I am healthy - I had a checkup yesterday with my doctor. My blood pressure was lower than ever, 124/76 which is perfect.

I used to have chronic heartburn...100% gone

I used to never feel good....100% gone

I used to be on cholesterol medication....not anymore

I used to take blood pressure medication...not anymore

5) I do not have a crazy metabolism
- When I was fat, I did all of that calorie counting nonsense. I ate cheerios with skim milk and light yogurt and all of that garbage food, and I lost zero pounds.

When sugar and meat went out of my diet and they were replaced with tons of foods that grow on trees or in the ground, those 70 pounds came off pretty fast, and I have never felt better.

I am having a ton of blood tests at MY request this week because I am 100% sure that every single part of my health is totally fine, I just wanted validation.

So....why am I "supposed" to eat 2,500 calories again? I am not bragging at all, but I bet I get more nutrients and vitamins and minerals than most of America at this point.

I eat healthy fats, and fruit and a TON of vegetables and 1 veggie juice per day and avocados and I even have a freaking dessert, which most people "on a diet" won't allow themselves to have...and it is the highlight of my day.

Why do people assume that I am starving myself. A huge squash is all of 30 calories, but absolutely filled with good things for my body...and it's very filling.

Why is there such a misconception out there that to eat like this is "starving" myself? I literally can't eat more because I eat filling and 100% healthy foods.

I even have snacks. I have organic corn/quinoa chips that I eat every single day. I have a piece of toast with banana slices, peanut butter and coconut oil on it many days too...but this just doesn't bring me up to that 2,500 calorie mark.

I am NOT looking to find ways to eat more. I know I am fine, but I guess I am here posting to see if there is anyone else who is eating great foods that is getting low calories, but is not sick, losing weight, brittle, weak or anything else that every so-called expert says I should be at this number of calories.

I even did the math. For the amount of calories I consume in a day, I "should" lose a pound a week...but by some voodoo magic, I don't.

Probably because I have great nutrition in those 1,300 or so calories.

If you read all of this, sorry it was long. I would not, for any amount of money go back to eating terrible foods that fit the 2,500 calorie mark just to be what others call "healthy" when I am 100% that right now.

I think I explain in so much detail because I will freak out if someone tells me that I am "starving myself"...so I wanted to post my entire story.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bodies are crazy things. I'm surprised you're not still losing weight taking in that little, though. I plugged 6'0" 170 into a BMR calculator and it estimates you'd need at least 2,100 calories to maintain weight even if you were completely sedentary. I'm close to the same size and I generally eat around 2,900 calories a day but it rockets up to over 4,000 on days I go on long runs. I keep track just for fun. The program I use says I'd lose a pound a week just cutting it back to 2,390 calories with no exercise.

When I first saw the title of this thread I assumed you were going to come from the other side of the argument. That limiting calories is stupid as long as you're eating whole foods. That's where I stand. Although if I wasn't active I'd have to reconsider.

Perhaps your metabolism has slowed and your body has fine tuned itself to run on what you take in. As long as you feel good that's all that really matters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bodies are crazy things. I'm surprised you're not still losing weight taking in that little, though. I plugged 6'0" 170 into a BMR calculator and it estimates you'd need at least 2,100 calories to maintain weight even if you were completely sedentary. I'm close to the same size and I generally eat around 2,900 calories a day but it rockets up to over 4,000 on days I go on long runs. I keep track just for fun. The program I use says I'd lose a pound a week just cutting it back to 2,390 calories with no exercise.

When I first saw the title of this thread I assumed you were going to come from the other side of the argument. That limiting calories is stupid as long as you're eating whole foods. That's where I stand. Although if I wasn't active I'd have to reconsider.

Perhaps your metabolism has slowed and your body has fine tuned itself to run on what you take in. As long as you feel good that's all that really matters.

I am pretty sedentary as I work from a home office and don't get much exercise right now. I know for sure that when I get back to exercising I will for sure be hungrier, so I wouldn't think of eating this amount...although I do feel like a pig sometimes.

I am absolutely 100% of the frame of mind that when you eat whole foods that calories are a total waste of time like you. I didn't rant too much about it though because a lot of people argue that 100% of health and weight loss is all about calories, and if that were the case I don't think our obesity problem would even be close to what it is now.

Thanks for your comment. I do feel fine and will see what my blood-work says.. I would be truly shocked if there was anything wrong.

Cheers

·
Registered
160 Posts
Like frrt, I usually say limiting calories is not necessary when eating whole foods. But neither is counting calories to get enough. Our bodies tell us how much we need. The only thing we need to concern ourselves with is eating a well-rounded diet. Our bodies usually tell us what we need as far as that goes, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed, I eat a low-fat WFPB diet the vast majority of the time as well, with low or no added oils and just a small amount of nuts or occasionally some avocado, and small to medium portion sizes (I eat until I am more than full, but these foods fill you up pretty quickly). I have an indoor job, but I do try to exercise by either hiking or going on my gliding machine for at least 30-60 minutes daily. Like you, I lost a nice amount of weight at first, but have now stabilized at just above my initial lowest weight. You would sort of think I would still be losing weight with my routine, but somehow I don't, which is fine since I am already at a slim healthy weight. At first I was weirded out like why aren't I losing more weight, but now I just think it's kinda cool:) I am not having any medical problems that I am aware of. my bps and cholesterol also dropped dramatically from being nearly medication-worthy to being quite optimal. I'm actually also going in to have a variety of things checked at my own request in a couple weeks just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed, I eat a low-fat WFPB diet the vast majority of the time as well, with low or no added oils and just a small amount of nuts or occasionally some avocado, and small to medium portion sizes (I eat until I am more than full, but these foods fill you up pretty quickly). I have an indoor job, but I do try to exercise by either hiking or going on my gliding machine for at least 30-60 minutes daily. Like you, I lost a nice amount of weight at first, but have now stabilized at just above my initial lowest weight. You would sort of think I would still be losing weight with my routine, but somehow I don't, which is fine since I am already at a slim healthy weight. At first I was weirded out like why aren't I losing more weight, but now I just think it's kinda cool:) I am not having any medical problems that I am aware of. my bps and cholesterol also dropped dramatically from being nearly medication-worthy to being quite optimal. I'm actually also going in to have a variety of things checked at my own request in a couple weeks just out of curiosity.

That is great!

When I get my tests back I will share the results. I wasn't a total mess like so many people are these days with diabetes and a slew of other diseases, but I almost always felt sick and was just not in good health.

I think people outside of the whole foods mindset are stuck in their old ways, figuring that if you aren't eating 5,000 calories a day you are staring yourself and it's just not the case.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I am writing this because I hardly eat any calories. I am a male and according to every "expert" I should be eating 2,500 calories a day just to be "healthy" and maintain my weight. As if simply eating 2,500 calories per day is equal to health...another reason why I don't bother with calories.
I don't think anyone would ever say that simply eating 2500 calories per day is equal to health. They might say that getting enough calories per day is one aspect of health, which is true.

So I was curious as to how many calories I eat in a typical day so I started counting those calories. The number I came up with was very low for what I "should" be eating.
Can I ask how many days you did this for and what method you used to track your calories?

Here's the thing though. If you go on any forum or anywhere else and tell somebody that you only eat this many calories...people FREAK OUT!

"Your're starving"

"That's not healthy"

"Stop trying to lose weight so fast"

"Starvation mode...bla bla"
Well yeah. Because some people really do under-eat due to trying to lose weight or having an eating disorder and it really isn't healthy.

Here are the FACTS about me in relation to these calories.

1) I eat all day long. I have a veggie juice (that I make myself) for breakfast. I follow that up with some raw sunflower seeds as a snack all morning.

For lunch I may eat a whole large squash sauteed in some coconut oil or some mushrooms or a salad with spinach and a bunch of veggies in there. Dinner is usually the same. I have a wild rice and quinoa mix I found that is awesome, so I add some broccoli to that and eat it. This is not exactly what I eat every single day, but this is the idea. I may have broccoli instead of squash, or a veggie wrap instead of either of them, or a bowl of fruit when we have some in season.

This is just an idea of the TYPES of things I eat..

After dinner I have my shake. This shake is freaking amazing and is made with almond milk, a banana, some dates, raw cashews, 1 cup of carrot juice (I make myself), cacao powder, maca powder, veggie protein mix (1 scoop)
That sounds like more than 1200 calories to me, but hard to say without specifics.

So....why am I "supposed" to eat 2,500 calories again? I am not bragging at all, but I bet I get more nutrients and vitamins and minerals than most of America at this point.
You aren't supposed to get exactly that many. That's just an estimate. But you're supposed to get enough, because calories are the energy that fuels your body. It's either going to come from food or it's going to be taken from the fat and/or muscle in your body. If you haven't been feeling tired/weak and if you haven't been continuing to lose weight beyond what's healthy then you're probably getting enough calories. Vitamins and minerals are a separate issue.

Why do people assume that I am starving myself. A huge squash is all of 30 calories, but absolutely filled with good things for my body...and it's very filling.
What type of squash are you talking about? Even a large zucchini is going to be a bit more than 30 calories. A butternut squash is going to be around 500-700. And that's not taking into account the coconut oil.

Why is there such a misconception out there that to eat like this is "starving" myself? I literally can't eat more because I eat filling and 100% healthy foods.

I am NOT looking to find ways to eat more. I know I am fine, but I guess I am here posting to see if there is anyone else who is eating great foods that is getting low calories, but is not sick, losing weight, brittle, weak or anything else that every so-called expert says I should be at this number of calories.

Probably because I have great nutrition in those 1,300 or so calories.
I've never heard of nutrition preventing weight loss. If that's the case maybe I should be eating less healthy foods.

I think I explain in so much detail because I will freak out if someone tells me that I am "starving myself"...so I wanted to post my entire story.
If you're feeling good and maintaining weight, then I don't think that you're starving yourself. But I suspect you may not be tracking your calories accurately.

Like frrt, I usually say limiting calories is not necessary when eating whole foods. But neither is counting calories to get enough. Our bodies tell us how much we need. The only thing we need to concern ourselves with is eating a well-rounded diet. Our bodies usually tell us what we need as far as that goes, too.
Mine doesn't and I don't think I'm unique in that regard.

·
Registered
920 Posts
If it's maintaining your weight and you're all that...then kudos to you! Keep doing what you're doing.

I'm curious, are you eating the same amount you did when you lost the 60 plus pounds and you just stabilized at your current weight or are you eating more than you were when you lost the weight?Every

I calculated yesterday and I ate about 1700..(I was more interested in nutrients and protein counts to prove my diet is healthy and adequate and it is)..which I think is low for me and I usually eat more. But I'm quite active, I exercise and I'm on my feet at work 12 hour shifts.

Everybody is different and listening to your body and how you feel is more important than other people's dramatics. But you do understand that for six foot 170 lb person 850 calories seems like a weight loss amount, rather than a maintenance amount, so I can understand people "freaking out" as you say. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I don't think anyone would ever say that simply eating 2500 calories per day is equal to health. They might say that getting enough calories per day is one aspect of health, which is true.
That's what I was getting at. My problem is the association between calories and health, or weight and health. There are a lot of people who eat terrible food, then sweat it off at the gym and say they are healthy.

Can I ask how many days you did this for and what method you used to track your calories?
I used an online calorie counter for the veggies and read labels for the rest (if any food had a label). I know these may not be 100% accurate, but even if I doubled every vegetable I still wouldn't be at 2,500. The bigger items like the ingredients I make my shake out of are fairly standard though.

Did I weigh my food and all that? No. This was just a way to find out how much I was eating for my personal curiosity

Well yeah. Because some people really do under-eat due to trying to lose weight or having an eating disorder and it really isn't healthy.
Yes, this is true. But the attitude is that EVERYONE who isn't eating enough calories to fit into some label of what you "should" eat is doing it. All I am ever trying to do is show people that in weight loss there should be some room for common sense and critical thinking instead of "if you aren't eating 2,500 calories you are doing it wrong" mentality.

That sounds like more than 1200 calories to me, but hard to say without specifics.
It may well be, but it's for sure not anywhere near 2,500. I used the calorie counter at: http://www.everydayhealth.com/

This is a very typical day for me of eating.

Breakfast Juice -

1 beet = 35
1 apple = 80
3 carrots = 35 each = 105
1 lime = 20
1/4 (or a medium wedge of) purple cabbage = 22 (this is for 1 cup which is about right, but it could be more so let's say double) = 45
4 stalks of celery = 40
several inches of ginger= 5
3 leaves Swiss Chard = 7 (per 1 cup) and the leaves are pretty big so let's say = 30

Total = 337

Snack:
Sunflower seeds (snack) 1/4 cup = 190 calories, per the package label

Lunch:
I whole yellow squash = 1 cup = 20 so let's say a big one = 40
Mushrooms = 1 cup = 15

Total lunch = 55

Snack:
Way Better Chips = 1 oz (about 11 chips, per the label) = 130 I eat a lot of these things almost every day, but the bag is pretty small and filled with mostly air, so I don't eat handfuls after handful by any means. So let's say = 260

Total daily snacks (seeds + chips) = 420

Dinner:

Quinoa/brown rice mix - 2 servings per bag, split with wife so 1 serving = 240
Broccoli = 1/2 cup = 26 so maybe = 50

Total dinner = 290

Total daily = 1102

Now, this may be off of course. I don't literally eat this exact same thing every single day, but it's a pretty good representation of my food intake. Sometimes I have fruit for lunch. I ususally don't have more snacks than this though as the sunflower or pumpkin seeds I eat (same calories) are both really filling and if you eat a ton of them make the stomach hurt a bit.

I forgot my shake though. I don't have this shake every single night, but I probably have it 20 nights a month or more. Sometimes I have it after dinner, and sometimes I have it AS my dinner...like tonight. Generally though, it is in addition to my dinner. It is really filling so that's why I have it for dinner sometimes.

Shake:

1/2 cup almond milk = 20
2 dates = 120
1 banana = 105
1/2 cup carrot juice (about 3 carrots worth usually) = 105

Total with shake = 1452

So if I was to be honest, most days of the week I would fall right in this range. I don't always have chips and I don't always have the shake. Sometimes I have a wrap for lunch with some spinach and other veggies and a teff tortilla so you could add a good 150 or so for that.

The point, I am very rarely if ever near the 2,500 mark unless there is an occasion that I eat something really high in calories. Every Friday night I have a few pieces of veggie pizza from Whole Foods. Sometimes I have it without any cheese and sometimes with light cheese (cheese is the last animal product I consume and am slow to get rid of it)

So on Friday nights you can easily add many calories and I wouldn't be shocked if I ended up a lot closer to 2,500 for that day. But the other days of the week this is a pretty fair representation of how I eat truly.

You aren't supposed to get exactly that many. That's just an estimate. But you're supposed to get enough, because calories are the energy that fuels your body. It's either going to come from food or it's going to be taken from the fat and/or muscle in your body. If you haven't been feeling tired/weak and if you haven't been continuing to lose weight beyond what's healthy then you're probably getting enough calories. Vitamins and minerals are a separate issue.

I feel 100% fine

What type of squash are you talking about? Even a large zucchini is going to be a bit more than 30 calories. A butternut squash is going to be around 500-700. And that's not taking into account the coconut oil.
Just a plain yellow squash or zucchini squash. Cut into quarter sized pieces maybe 1/4 inch thick maybe 10 pieces. By no means a huge squash. According to Livestrong a whole butternut squash is about 250 calories, but I'm not eating that. According to Livestrong a medium yellow squash is about 30 calories

Coconut oil is about 120 calories per tablespoon. I put maybe a teaspoon in the pan just to give the squash something to cook in...so what's that...40, 50 extra?

Still not at 2500 for the day

http://www.livestrong.com/article/366983-the-benefits-of-yellow-squash/

I've never heard of nutrition preventing weight loss. If that's the case maybe I should be eating less healthy foods.
I dont' remember saying nutrition prevented weight loss...why would it?

If you're feeling good and maintaining weight, then I don't think that you're starving yourself. But I suspect you may not be tracking your calories accurately.
I'm not going to weigh my food to come up with exact numbers. I am 100% for sure not off by 1,000 calories a day between a "medium" squash and a "kind of bigger than medium" squash. I don't eat whole bags of chips or whole bags of anything. I am being as honest here as I can be.

I didn't write this to argue with anybody. I am saying that there is TOO much focus on calories in this world, and there is such a bigger picture. There are people out there who are eating 1,500 calories of pure sugar garbage and wondering why they can't hardly lose any weight...at least long-term sustainable.

My answer is that the second you forget calories and eat good food, your body does all the work. But if you dare tell people you aren't eating what you "should" be eating, they have nothing to say other than how "unhealthy" you are eating.

I have family members and friends who actually have told me that eating a diet mostly of vegetables is not healthy. They say this as they eat a big piece of BBQ'd meat with sugar sauce all over it and a plate of boxed fettuccine noodles.

My main point is that I would never under any circumstance eat more than I eat. I dont' need to...I am 100% satisfied.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What type of squash are you talking about? Even a large zucchini is going to be a bit more than 30 calories. A butternut squash is going to be around 500-700.
A buttnernut squash would have to weigh 3.5 pounds to yield 700 calories. (63 calories/140g per USDA) That'd be a ribbon winner at the fair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it's maintaining your weight and you're all that...then kudos to you! Keep doing what you're doing.

I'm curious, are you eating the same amount you did when you lost the 60 plus pounds and you just stabilized at your current weight or are you eating more than you were when you lost the weight?Every

I calculated yesterday and I ate about 1700..(I was more interested in nutrients and protein counts to prove my diet is healthy and adequate and it is)..which I think is low for me and I usually eat more. But I'm quite active, I exercise and I'm on my feet at work 12 hour shifts.

Everybody is different and listening to your body and how you feel is more important than other people's dramatics. But you do understand that for six foot 170 lb person 850 calories seems like a weight loss amount, rather than a maintenance amount, so I can understand people "freaking out" as you say. :)
I do too in a sense. I think a majority of people eating low calories whether it's 850 or 1150 or whatever think the first thing of "you must be starving yourself" and I get that.

I'm trying to say when you take 100% of the focus OFF of calories, and focus on good, healthy, whole foods....none of the rest is important.

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yes, it is the same amount really. When I was at the end of eating "normie" food (light yogurt, skim milk, low fat foods that are terrible for your health) I always felt sick. Like throw up sick after every meal.

So the last few weeks of eating that way I started eating less quantity just so I wouldn't feel so crappy. I was by no means a sloth eater, who was eating 5 cheeseburgers...I honestly ate what I would consider to be "normal" American amounts of food. A chicken breast with a side, a sandwich and some chips for lunch....pretty typical stuff really.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I used an online calorie counter for the veggies and read labels for the rest (if any food had a label). I know these may not be 100% accurate, but even if I doubled every vegetable I still wouldn't be at 2,500. The bigger items like the ingredients I make my shake out of are fairly standard though.

Did I weigh my food and all that? No. This was just a way to find out how much I was eating for my personal curiosity
How many days did you track for? I would track your intake for at least a week if you want to get a confident estimate of how much you're eating. I'm also curious how long you've been eating this way and how long you've maintained your current weight?

This is a very typical day for me of eating.

Breakfast Juice -

1 beet = 35
1 apple = 80
3 carrots = 35 each = 105
1 lime = 20
1/4 (or a medium wedge of) purple cabbage = 22 (this is for 1 cup which is about right, but it could be more so let's say double) = 45
4 stalks of celery = 40
several inches of ginger= 5
3 leaves Swiss Chard = 7 (per 1 cup) and the leaves are pretty big so let's say = 30

Total = 337

Snack:
Sunflower seeds (snack) 1/4 cup = 190 calories, per the package label

Lunch:
I whole yellow squash = 1 cup = 20 so let's say a big one = 40
Mushrooms = 1 cup = 15

Total lunch = 55

Snack:
Way Better Chips = 1 oz (about 11 chips, per the label) = 130 I eat a lot of these things almost every day, but the bag is pretty small and filled with mostly air, so I don't eat handfuls after handful by any means. So let's say = 260

Total daily snacks (seeds + chips) = 420

Dinner:

Quinoa/brown rice mix - 2 servings per bag, split with wife so 1 serving = 240
Broccoli = 1/2 cup = 26 so maybe = 50

Total dinner = 290

Total daily = 1102

Now, this may be off of course. I don't literally eat this exact same thing every single day, but it's a pretty good representation of my food intake. Sometimes I have fruit for lunch. I ususally don't have more snacks than this though as the sunflower or pumpkin seeds I eat (same calories) are both really filling and if you eat a ton of them make the stomach hurt a bit.

I forgot my shake though. I don't have this shake every single night, but I probably have it 20 nights a month or more. Sometimes I have it after dinner, and sometimes I have it AS my dinner...like tonight. Generally though, it is in addition to my dinner. It is really filling so that's why I have it for dinner sometimes.

Shake:

1/2 cup almond milk = 20
2 dates = 120
1 banana = 105
1/2 cup carrot juice (about 3 carrots worth usually) = 105

Total with shake = 1452
Slight discrepancy, but I believe that adds up to 1502. And that's not including the coconut oil or the scoop of veggie protein mix, so that would bring it up over 1600. Not close to 2500, but not close to 850-1200 either.

Just a plain yellow squash or zucchini squash. Cut into quarter sized pieces maybe 1/4 inch thick maybe 10 pieces. By no means a huge squash. According to Livestrong a whole butternut squash is about 250 calories, but I'm not eating that. According to Livestrong a medium yellow squash is about 30 calories
No, it says half a butternut squash is about 272 calories. So that would be 544 in a whole butternut squash.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/302879-calories-in-half-a-butternut-squash/

I dont' remember saying nutrition prevented weight loss...why would it?
You said: "I guess I am here posting to see if there is anyone else who is eating great foods that is getting low calories, but is not sick, losing weight, brittle, weak or anything else that every so-called expert says I should be at this number of calories.

Probably because I have great nutrition in those 1,300 or so calories."

I thought you were citing great nutrition as a reason you weren't losing weight (among other things). But I may have misinterpreted you.

My answer is that the second you forget calories and eat good food, your body does all the work. But if you dare tell people you aren't eating what you "should" be eating, they have nothing to say other than how "unhealthy" you are eating.
It's great that that worked for you, but you should be careful about generalizing your own experiences to everyone else. Some people eat healthy foods and don't eat enough calories and have issues with tiredness and unhealthily low body weight as a result. Some people eat healthy and eat too many calories and weigh more than is ideal as a result.

A buttnernut squash would have to weigh 3.5 pounds to yield 700 calories. (63 calories/140g per USDA) That'd be a ribbon winner at the fair.
I've seen estimates ranging from 544-638, so I said 500-700. He did use the terms "large" and "huge" in reference to the squash, which is what had me thinking about a big butternut. But anyway this not relevant since he was apparently talking about a yellow squash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's great that that worked for you, but you should be careful about generalizing your own experiences to everyone else. Some people eat healthy foods and don't eat enough calories and have issues with tiredness and unhealthily low body weight as a result. Some people eat healthy and eat too many calories and weigh more than is ideal as a result.

This is the entire point I am making and had no intention of a lot of back and forth. Yes, I made a mistake on the calculator...but still not 1,000 calories.

The generalization is the exact point I am making. The entire weight loss industry generalizes the entire human race and tells them that a man should have 2,500 calories or they are not eating right, and for a woman its' 1,200 or so.

I am saying that this generalization is stupid. Whether I eat 1504 or 1397 or 1844 calories a day, I am very much a habit eater. I eat the same things day after day after day. If it's not squash it's broccoli. If it's not quinoa/rice it's a vegetarian chili. There is nothing I am eating that is a huge difference from day to day so for my own personal needs...not much reason to be perfectly scientific in weighing and being exact here.

It's going to be less than 2,500 no matter what. I don't eat squash one day and triple bacon cheeseburgers the next. I very much eat the same things over and over and over because I don't love cooking and am not great at it.

I am very simply saying that the generalization that a "man must have 2,500 calories per day" is nonsense to me, in my personal opinion. I wonder how many people that are "supposed" to eat say 2,500 calories in a day are at 2,300 and figure "well, I am under so I can have a 100 calorie snack pack of cookies"...and then consume another 4 teaspoons of added sugars and cause havoc in their body.

People are way way way too hung up on calories as the one and only important thing. If you eat the right foods you can absolutely live your entire life without thinking about calories.

And my opinion is that any human being on earth could adopt this and win.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yes, it is the same amount really. When I was at the end of eating "normie" food (light yogurt, skim milk, low fat foods that are terrible for your health) I always felt sick. Like throw up sick after every meal.

So the last few weeks of eating that way I started eating less quantity just so I wouldn't feel so crappy. I was by no means a sloth eater, who was eating 5 cheeseburgers...I honestly ate what I would consider to be "normal" American amounts of food. A chicken breast with a side, a sandwich and some chips for lunch....pretty typical stuff really.
Yep, pretty "typical" stuff leads to obesity in this country, especially the poor quality processed food people eat.

Cool. I could understand you losing weight eating that way, but to stop losing weight and maintain by still eating the same way that you lost over 60 pounds seemed odd to me. Thanks for clarifying. Congrats on everything!

I'm trying to say when you take 100% of the focus OFF of calories, and focus on good, healthy, whole foods....none of the rest is important.

:)
100% agree and understand. Listen to you body, eat well and just go from there.

I do the same. I try to eat healthy and just eat. I don't count calories and I don't care what some diet plan says I should eat as a target to maintain my weight. Like I said the other day I was interested in nutrition and protein intake (for Facebook bragging rights that a vegan diet covers this) I noticed I naturally ate 1700 calories that day. Other days I know I eat more..in fact my typical day is probably more like 2000 to 2200....so eating without counting I'm naturally eating enough to maintain and not gain.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I lived my first 34 years of life without ever counting calories and I was active and maintained a low medium normal weight range. Granted my diet wasn't the healthiest. After I had a traumatic surgery that permanently changed my body and how it functions, I quite suddenly developed anorexia nervosa as a coping mechanism and counting calories became quite an obsession. That was eight years ago that it all started and I have been battling the calorie counting thing ever since, though I am much much healthier now than I was for a number of years. It is very very difficult to let go of, even though I eat very healthy and mostly whole foods and I don't buy junk food or eat out more than five or so times a year. I still don't completely trust my body or myself. I always want to tell people who start keeping track of calorie intake that it isn't worth it. And dieting. Shudders. Dieting ruins your natural metabolism, right along with highly processed food. I like the idea of focusing on eating healthy foods also and letting the rest take care of itself. However, one can become a bit too obsessed with that too, and cut out more and more foods because something they once thought was whole and healthy might not be. But I get the whole idea that everyone is unique and what fits one person might not fit another. I am a 42 year old post surgically menopausal woman who is moderately active and a low normal weight range. My needs are going to be different than a 22 year old athlete or a 60 year old sedentary woman. and my needs change day to day.

I did have to keep track of calories when I was trying to gain weight from a very low weight to make sure I was getting enough. I used to work with a dietitian. She tried to steer me into at least tracking macro-nutrients and servings instead of calories, but of course that became an obsession too lol. I still menu plan and obsess.

I used to maintain on 800-1100 calories for long stretches of time but was also exercising one to two hours a day and work/school etc. For me it was very very unhealthy and I got to a very low weight doing that. I felt fine. I had energy and the ability to work out, even lift weights. I maintained a 4.0 gpa in college and graduated with honors. My blood pressure was a bit low but most of my labs were decent. However, only when I had to have DXA scans to measure bone density, and EKGs and more in depth tests than simple blood labs to see what was going on in my body were my eyes truly opened to the damage I was doing eating that little. The heart is a muscle and all that working out while eating so little for me really damaged my heart. I didn't know I was having heart arrhythmias and had severe bradycardia and hypotension. I also have ever worsening osteoporosis (now on medication for). My scores decreased drastically over the last eight years. I have also been in treatment with people for eating disorders who were normal weights but ate as little or less than me and they didn't fair too well either. And I ate a whole foods diet for a good bit of the time I was in my eating disorder, just not enough or enough of a variety. I'm working hard on being more relaxed around food now and figuring out what is enough and what I need without going crazy with calorie counting. Sometimes I completely rebel against my own need for total control with calories and meal planning etc and end up bingeing as a release from all that. It is so time consuming to track and analyse everything I eat every day as far as nutritional value and calories etc and to always be planning and obsessing. I would love to get to a place where it is all natural as it was for years before I started "dieting". For me it won't be that easy because I spent the last eight years destroying my body and wrapped up in numbers in my head. I totally avoid nutrition and calorie counting sites like calorie count, fit day, my fitness pal, all those now. My goal is to someday not only completely stop with the calorie and macronutrient obsession, but to throw away my scales once and for all and just go by how my body feels and so on. Though I eat very healthy now...still struggle with allowing myself enough now that I reached a normal weight range because I am scared I will keep gaining so I cut back on calories a bit...I would love to get to a place where food and body weight/composition does not consume my every thought and I don't have to obsess about calories. I admire those of you who eat healthy and naturally and maintain without obsession and calorie counting. If you are in a healthy mindset this should be easy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts