VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, through personal experimentation, disagree with our presently accepted view on calories. From what I have observed, one can reach a weight and maintain that weight with a different amount of calories as long as the foods being consumed are nutritiously whole. I have a very rigid meal plan and almost never have to make on the spot changes unless there is some type of emergency. I lost five pounds since I have become vegan and I have lost little or no weight since I went from seven meals to five meals. Keep in mind that I also decreased the amount of quinoa I eat and I eliminated all grains from my diet. So this does not exactly check out for me. At seven meals I was eating four servings of quinoa and three servings of steel cut oats. At five meals I eat 2 1/4 servings of quinoa. Calories do not equate here.

I have had my many years of education and I know that calories is the term for our energy bank currency. In real life we have electrical, wind, water, and many other forms of energy. In real life we have whole natural food, natural food, food, fast food, and faster food. Calories are composed of the fuel we decide to use. I therefore believe that the food that we ingest directly relates to our own individual form of calories. If you eat foods that are not what I consider healthy, you are eating one form of calorie that may or may not cause body image disturbances.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Your post makes no sense.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I mean that you can't just dismiss the concept of calories based on one personal experience and some bull**** facts.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreapplesaday View Post

To many, it may not.
I guess not, cause it sure doesn't make any freakin' sense to me either.

Is what you're trying to say is that it doesn't matter how many calories you eat if you consume whole foods? In respect to what, weight (gaining or losing), health? What does electricity, wind or water have to do with any of that?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Well calories like any other word is made up by people, i was just wondering the other day how we found out what calories and everything were and how we find out how many one food has.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Calories are like water, they are ethereal and ephemeral, but this is both subjective and individual and a calorie may not mean anything in and of itself.

Are we all sufficiently confused?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not dismiss the concept of calories, I dismiss the common understanding of what calories are. If you eat junk food for your life, you are likely to keep gaining weight. If you eat junk food occasionally and "diet" your weight will keep fluctuating. I was eating "healthy" food rich in meat (chicken/fish), rice (basmati/jasmine), steel cut oats, nuts, fruits, and veggies and I was weighing 160lbs. When I changed my meals around during these years, meat eating years, I could easily gain and lose weight. For instance, I was able to gain thirty pounds within a month with a little fluctuation and lose it with another fluctuation a few months later.

When I became vegan, I lost five pounds and my weight stayed that way. Eventually I decreased the number of meals I was eating and serving sizes, but I did not lose the expected amount of weight. I decreased my calories by a lot, but my weight remained the same. This is why I believe calories are different based on the foods you eat, hence the different types of energy reference. If you eat certain foods, your weight will fluctuate according to the common understanding of calories. If you eat what I believe are healthy and whole foods, your weight will be maintained at a certain level without much fluctuation.

I do not mean to cause or stir any trouble. This is my opinion based on a life focused on health and from personal experimentation. Trust me, I believed in this calorie thing for the longest time and I followed it closely too. I was amazed with what was happening, or not happening in this case, and that is why I am sharing my personal experience.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
The body reacts on different stimulus, you can't just assume that eating less calories is automatically gonna make you lose weight.

And that doesn't debunk calories either, just that the body is pretty complex.

And that other things can affect the body.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
You might be interested in reading about the Set-Point theory of weight.

In my personal experience, whenever I was ingesting less calories, I lost weight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

The body reacts on different stimulus, you can't just assume that eating less calories is automatically gonna make you lose weight.
Exactly. Total health is a lifestyle and not just the stuff you chew on everyday. Everything affects your body and it is the culmination of all these factors that lead to your eventual demise. It is not the total amount of calories that we eat, it is the quality and how effectively we use them. A person with a complete health focused lifestyle utilizes calories differently than someone with a sedentary lifestyle.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Ya i burn more and eat less calories than my sister but she is skinny and i'm not, she also eats meat candy and junk food while i eat veggies fruits grains and mock meats.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:

Exactly. Total health is a lifestyle and not just the stuff you chew on everyday. Everything affects your body and it is the culmination of all these factors that lead to your eventual demise. It is not the total amount of calories that we eat, it is the quality and how effectively we use them. A person with a complete health focused lifestyle utilizes calories differently than someone with a sedentary lifestyle.
The concept is not calories in - ???

It's calories in - BMR - Calories out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The concept is calories in general. Everything affects how your body metabolizes food, but I have found, through personal experience, that certain foods are better at being fuels.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:

The concept is calories in general. Everything affects how your body metabolizes food, but I have found, through personal experience, that certain foods are better at being fuels.
Indeed, but that doesn't have anything to do with the calorie in itself, but rather based on what you "get" from those calories, and in which form they come.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In either case, healthy food or non-healthy food, a calorie is the measurement unit. When I went from seven meals to five meals, I only eliminated grains from my diet, nothing else. I lost little or no weight with this big drop in total calorie intake and this is why I do not agree that more calories/less calories translates to weight loss or weight gain.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:

In either case, healthy food or non-healthy food, a calorie is the measurement unit. When I went from seven meals to five meals, I only eliminated grains from my diet, nothing else. I lost little or no weight with this big drop in total calorie intake and this is why I do not agree that more calories/less calories translates to weight loss or weight gain.
You don't know if you were taking in less calories unless you were tracking them. If I eat a quart of oatmeal for breakfast with nothing else on it I am consuming 581 calories. If I eat one cup of oatmeal with 3/4 cup coconut milk and two tablespoons of maple syrup I am consuming 664 calories. Lower food volume does not equal lower calorie intake. You have to look at food composition.

Also, when people eat a diet high in fat, it makes their cells resistant to the effects of insulin. More insulin in the bloodstream means more calories being stored as fat instead of being burned as energy. Again, composition of the diet is more important for body fat management than total calorie intake.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

You don't know if you were taking in less calories unless you were tracking them. If I eat a quart of oatmeal for breakfast with nothing else on it I am consuming 581 calories. If I eat one cup of oatmeal with 3/4 cup coconut milk and two tablespoons of maple syrup I am consuming 664 calories. Lower food volume does not equal lower calorie intake. You have to look at food composition.

Also, when people eat a diet high in fat, it makes their cells resistant to the effects of insulin. More insulin in the bloodstream means more calories being stored as fat instead of being burned as energy. Again, composition of the diet is more important for body fat management than total calorie intake.
Beat me to it, here's a biscuit for doing my work.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts