VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I am new here, so I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum, but I thought you guys could help me out. I am a 18 year old female runner. I run about 50 miles a week with some cross training and weight lifting. I generally count calories and have been aiming for 2000-2200. I am 5'5'' and 112lb. and have been staying this weight on this amount of calories. However, some people have told me it is too low. So, I was wondering if I could increase my calories without gaining and if so to what amount. Thanks for any advice and sorry this is so long.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sounds low to me, as 2000 is usually the amount for an active female. 2200-2400 might be more of an acceptable range. Are you maintaining your weight?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I also agree it's too low. Are you hungry? Tired? Do you have the energy? I would increase it slowly, until you are at a higher level and you are still maintaining your weight. However, that's pending your response to Keelin.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It depends as to whether you want to gain, maintain or lose weight.

If you want to gain weight you should be eating more like between 3000-4000 a day as you are extremely active.

I would not advise losing weight, particularly as your BMI is already fairly low at 18.6.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Caloric needs vary from person to person. There IS not a written set of calories that would suit everyone. Genetics and metabolism come into the factoring. If you have been eating the same amount have stayed the same weight and are not tired. Then you are perfectly fine. Ingesting more calories would be a waste and possible hurt your performance.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I agree with SeaSiren that caloric needs vary from person to person even under the same conditions. Perhaps you metabolize food more efficiently than most other people. If you are at the weight you want then maintain the same amount of calories.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I sound similar to you - I run about 25-30 miles a week and do yoga (no cross training or weights, though). I am 5'7 and 110 pounds, which is too low, I've been told repeatedly.

I don't count calories anymore, but when I DID, I would aim for 2000 calories and lose weight. Based on that, I would be inclined to advise you to eat more.

That being said, as others mention, if you feel healthy and are maintaining your weight over the long term (ie: been the same weight several months), then you are fine and it all comes down to metabolism.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts