VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to ask - what do you think about calorie counting? Do you do it? If so, why, and how do you think it affects your relationship with food?

I started counting calories after a nutritionist told me it would help me GET OVER my eating disorder. Really, combined with a Type-A personality, it didn't make things better, but turned into something I really clung to for a sense of security.

I don't count anymore, but it is a daily challenge to not have those numbers as security.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I also think calorie counting is a bad idea. I monitor mine occasionally just to be sure I'm eating a healthy amount, but I find I am happier when I relax and eat when I'm hungry. Stressing over calories is just that - stress. I like to avoid stress.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
i do it because otherwise i wouldn't eat enough. i just don't get very hungry. except on some random occasions. i don't let it be a barrier (anymore) though. if im hungry, going over is fine. going under is fine too. just not by huge amounts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting to hear what everyone thinks. I definitely agree that a stress-free eating style is much better. I think I thrive on stress, though...unfortunately.

·
Registered
160 Posts
it's not neccessary!

eat when you're hungry&stop when you're satisfied, eat healthy foods (all of us here are on a good start, too! we're healthier than any meat eaters out there), exercise, and chances are you won't get overweight.

calorie counting isn't worth it because we have enough common sense to handle it. if there's a major problem in our diet, we'll realize it-without constantly calculating calorie totals.

i used to do it and it made me MISERABLE. i hated it, it started to occupy my thoughts too often. now i'm mostly carefree-except veganism obviously- and i've stayed the same weight. ( even lost a few pounds, due to exercise though)

·
Registered
998 Posts
I do it. I generally avoid a lot of snack foods because of it, and having a snack food with 300 calories is a huge splurge for me. Not counting calories causes me more stress because then I think about what I ate and how much it had and I think that I should have looked at the box etc. I'm kind of obsessive about it. Hopefully when I reach my goal weight I won't be so worried, but I kind of had to look at calories while losing weight. I'm only about 10 - 15lbs away from my goal and more obsessed than ever.

Its probably a good thing that you stopped. When I go on a trip for a day or two and eat out, so can't look at calories, I tend to lose weight, even though I think I'm over eating stuff. It's weird.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I count calories because I usually eat too much of something. If I know I'll get half my daily caloric intake in one item.. then I cut that item up. I also do it to ensure I am in a good range. I'm trying to loose weight and want to stay below a certain number, but higher than a certain number. Also, it helps me plan meals.

I guess it all depends on the person. I enjoy it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i don't think it's necessay and i think instead you (not YOU, i mean anyone) should look at the nutrional value instead (good/bad fats, protein, etc.). honestly, since i learned about the caloric values of foods in grade nine food&nutrition class...it's really hard for me NOT to count calories. depending on the stresses of my life, i will count them without worry of what the ending number would be (i almost never eat junk foods). or i will count them REALLY obsessively and aim to get the total calorie intake pretty low, which i am stuck doing now...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
hmm. maybe then the best balance is to count occasionally, just to get an idea of how much food you eat etc. and then it just becomes automatic. like i know wihtout counting whether ive had enough of something or not enough? if that helps? i don't think its a bad thing. but it depends how you use it...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've done it for about a year and a half... which led to a yucky eating disorder and weird relationship with food. It's better now, but jeeze... not worth the stress...

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just do my calorie counting to have a feeling for what I am eating. That way I can track the intake and keep within 1,500 calories. I'm overweight and need to keep it all in check.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I have counted calories nearly all of my life! I guess that's one of the pitfalls of only being 5'1" - I just cannot eat what people around me eat. If I didn't count calories, I know I would weigh a lot more. And while I agree that ideally I should listen to my body and respond to it's needs, I find that having a family changes that equation, and I am always planning the next meal or fixing something for someone. My own food needs are not necessarily the ones that get my attention!

But I also count my exercise calories, so I know when I can have more to eat or when I need to jog more to keep the best balance between my calories in and out.

And "counting calories" is kind of a funny term - I do some rounding and estimating - I certainly don't look up everything.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
just a question..it seems like everybody here who isn't working out maintains on 1500?? i eat more than that and im small to begin with so need less.

why the low numbers?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I think you should count your blessings, count the friends that mean a lot, count the ways you can make a difference or even count the good you can do in your life, but IN NO WAY should you count calories. ESPECIALLY if you're type A and eating disordered. That's just a bad idea waiting to turn into a disaster, imho.

And that nutritionist is a poopoo head for even suggesting such a thing. What a moron!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I have counted calories nearly all of my life! I guess that's one of the pitfalls of only being 5'1" - I just cannot eat what people around me eat.
That's rubbish.

There are LOADS of healthy, short people out there who don't count calories. If you're eating a healthy diet, there's no reason to count. I'm 2 inches taller than you, and sincerely doubt that makes much of a difference.

Count if you must, but don't blame it on your height.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I don't count calories. I think it can put you in an unhealthy mindset because you are eating because of something OUTSIDE your body (the number of calories) rather than listening to the messages from INSIDE your body (your hunger and fullness cues). I think many of us, as children, were made to "finish our peas before dessert" or denied snacks because dinner was in an hour. The control over eating when we were hungry and stopping when we were full was taken away from us, in varying degrees depending on the way we were raised.

I think it is so important to get back in touch with our body's signals. Eat because of what your stomach is telling you, not because of a number of calories or a number on a scale.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ad View Post

I do it. I generally avoid a lot of snack foods because of it, and having a snack food with 300 calories is a huge splurge for me. Not counting calories causes me more stress because then I think about what I ate and how much it had and I think that I should have looked at the box etc. I'm kind of obsessive about it. Hopefully when I reach my goal weight I won't be so worried, but I kind of had to look at calories while losing weight. I'm only about 10 - 15lbs away from my goal and more obsessed than ever.

Its probably a good thing that you stopped. When I go on a trip for a day or two and eat out, so can't look at calories, I tend to lose weight, even though I think I'm over eating stuff. It's weird.
I do this, it drives me bonkers. On fitday, in my head - argh. I aviod those scary snack foods too, they frighten me. How can something so small have so many calories?

I'd like to know, properly, how many calories I can have in a day though. I think it would help to have a plan. In my case at least - I think it is different for everyone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I do - I have about 150 lbs to lose though
I have counted on and off for several years and I find when I stop counting my serving sizes tend to creep up higher and higher and I start putting on weight again. The one time I noticed I did NOT have to count and DID lose weight was when I was doing Weight Watchers Core program...the funny thing is it was based on whole grains, lots of fruit and veggies, healthy oils and occasional lean meats. Take the meat part out of that and it is what I am doing now as a Veg*n!! I am very new to being a full time veg*n but I am already finding that I am satisfied on a lot less calories, my fiber intake has literally tripled overnight, and I am already starting to get better about listening to my body's signals instead of just "eat it because you already counted it". I am thinking I will keep tracking for awhile (I also use Fitday and it is nice to be able to see my nutrient intake as well) and then slowly wean myself off of it. I think if we truly listened to our bodies we would be fine, but unfortunately my whole life has been about ignoring my body's signals so I could shove more food into it!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts