VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi rigmarole! Glad to have you hampsterin'!

Slynny, I'll have to keep that park in mind for a weekend getaway. Being out in the stix sounds good.

Today for me-

Full body strength training

1/2 hour walk

10 minutes stretching

Happy hamstering, everyone! Keep up the great work!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi everyone!

Great rainbowmoon! You out ran me!

I ran 2 miles, walked 1.5 miles.

Welcome entresol!

If you're like me and you get headaches when you run, here's something to try that helped me. My head was starting to pound and so I changed my breathing pattern from 2-count inhale/3-count exhale to 3-count inhale/2-count exhale which is more normal anyway. It started helping right away. I really didn't expect it to make a difference, but I feeling like I needed more oxygen. I've read that it's good to have the total count be an odd number because when you exhale you'll hit the ground harder with that first exhale so if you have a odd number count like mine totals 5, then you won't be putting that extra stress on the same foot every time.

I want to ride, but it's so windy today. Maybe this evening.

Keep on hamstering!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey Kitzy, do you wear a helmet when you bike? I've had so many close call with cars, children and squirrels. It's a big relief to finally have a helmet. Now I need to find some good biking shorts, but I don't look good in those skin tight kind.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i dont wear a helmet, but my boyfriend thinks i should. i do have a few close calls....i guess i should wear a helmet *pulls a face*

kamikazee spoke squirrels! dangerous creatures

i dont wear lycra shorts (though i have some somewhere
) i just normal ones.

one of my friends is trying to get me to do time trials but i'm not so sure....

·
Registered
556 Posts
I finally got off my butt this morning and exercised for the 1st time in weeks. I pulled out my Tae Bo tapes and it felt really good to work off some serious frustration. I feel much better now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mskedi

I figure if I run on the track there's less of a chance of injury. (If I'm wrong, please don't tell me -- I really have missed running the past few days!).
I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong. On the contrary you're probably right. The new materials they make tracks with today are more shock absorbant than concrete or tar. So that means it's much easier on your joints. Good stuff science, heh?

rigmarole

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm very envious of you bike riders. I need some money for a bike. Anyone wanna pay me for nothing?

Maybe I'm a freak or something but after exercising my stomach sometimes cringes at the thought of food. So I have to force down a protein shake and some carbs. ugh

When I woke up today I ran for about a mile and a half and very quickly walked another 2.5 mi. I try to keep my heart rate above 160 for 40 minutes with a short warmup and a long 20+ minute cool down. Now it's almost 7pm and I just did a killer legs and biceps workout. I'm drained and need food.

Exercise, eat well, live long and prosper

rigmarole

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sky

Hi everyone!

I've read that it's good to have the total count be an odd number because when you exhale you'll hit the ground harder with that first exhale so if you have a odd number count like mine totals 5, then you won't be putting that extra stress on the same foot every time.
hmm...I've never thought about it like that before. Thanks for putting that out there.
I think I may have an odd breathing count, but I usually try to focus on something environmental outside of what I'm doing. I'm going to check it out when I run tomorrow.

later

rigmarole

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks, Sky! I've been reading the boards for a while, now, and I figured it was time to stop being chicken and start participating.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Hi Hamsters!

Yay!!! kathym is back!!!!
Running still? Hope so! Great to see you!!

entresol, welcome to the Hamsters!!!!!

Kitzy, I just can't believe how far you can bike...that's awesome!!!

Way to Hamster CaptainSwab!

Hopi, all I did today was clean the house...it can really be a workout

Mskedi, I've been thinking about running more on the track...nice and flat and more cush than cement. I think it's a great idea.

Azalea, always good to see you! any effort is great! but I think thats a huge bike ride...great work.

Bunny, I for one think it's better to take it easy whe you don't feel good! Hope you feel better soon!

Flower, great workout!!

Rainbowmoon, glad to see your still running! Great job!

Sky, awesome as usual...I get headaches sometimes after runs too...don't know why??? but I only get them occasionally.

!!!!!! Sky and Kitzy...Please!!! Wear the helmets!!!

rigmarole, great Hamsterin'

Way to go Hamsters!!! You guys rock!!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Gotta second the plead for Sky and Kitzy to wear helmets... don't make me worry about you all.

Rigmarole -- you're not alone. The last thing I want to do after exercising is eat. Usually I'll have a smoothie (of course, in the summer, I'm constantly having smoothies) or juice or a piece of fruit or something, but it takes a while before I want anything really solid. Occasionally I'm ravenous after exercising, but that's generally only if I was really hungry before I started.

Kathym -- welcome back!

Welcome, entresol!

Okay... my run was good until the very end. I was doing speed bursts the whole time, and I think I overdid it on the last lap -- I couldn't breathe! It was kinda like hyperventalating, except that it wasn't particularly fast, I just couldn't get the air to actually go into my lungs. It scared the heck out of me. I think it lasted for about a minute (it felt like it -- it was probably less) before I got my breathing down to something normal. Maybe I should stick with three miles for a while longer? Or not go too fast? My knees enjoyed the track, at least. I should probably go to the track more than the beach, really.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
You can borrow my lungs Mskedi, no problem!
Just take it easy!

Oh yeah and wear your damage protection helmets *please* Sky & Kitzy!!...else you could very possibly get dented in the head like I ACTUALLY did whilst ice-skating once...(not kidding!!)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hey, I've been wearing mine!

Oh, and I rode 2 miles today. Could hardly pedal against 40 mph wind.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnaconda

You can borrow my lungs Mskedi, no problem!
Just take it easy!
Aww... that's either really sweet or really gross!
So when are you going to post about all your biking?

Sky, sorry about that. I was skimming and I caught Slynny's bit at the end -- oops! No more verbal beatings for you from me! Kitzy, on the other hand...

·
Registered
0 Posts
hmmm.....maybe i /should/ dig it out of the cupboard

i dont think i'll get much cycling done today as i'm getting the 0725 train to Sussex university. hopefully i'll get back in time for a ride!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rigmarole

Mskedi, that sounds messed up. Has that happened before? What are speed bursts?

rigmarole
Yeah, once a while back (years ago -- before I had had to stop running because of my knee). I forgot about it until I had already posted. It was the same kind of deal -- I'd run too fast for too long a period of time. I'm thinking my heart rate just got too high. I'll pay better attention to it next time.

Someone here said the real name for that is "fartleks" (cool word). Basically, it's speed training... you run as fast as you can for a limited distance or time, and then slow to a jog for another predetermined amount of time, then run fast again, etc...

Today: weights, yoga, and dance.

21 - 40 of 111 Posts