VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my first track practice on Monday. I had been running 20 minutes a day 4 times a week for the 2 months leading up to track. The first day of practice we did a fairly easy run and then I went home and, like an idiot, did leg exercises with weight.

I developed pain in my calf later that night. I am guessing it is over use but I dont know if it is a stain or something serious. The pain continued and still hurts today (thursday night). I did track practice tuesday, and yesterday I told my couch I was in pain after our jogging warm up and she told me to do the stationary bike to take a break from running. I had to do the bike today too but I still still the wamr up run which hurt pretty bad. The pain is in the back of my calf about 2 inches from the ankle. It feels like it is under my Achilles tendon. I have a sharp pain in a small area that hurts when I relax from a calf stretch, go up and down stairs, and run. Tuesday it hurt to walk a bit, but not today and it does NOT hurt when I go up on my toes.

I iced and rested my calf tuesday and then again when I got home yesterdat. I do not want to mess up my track season. Any advice on when I can start running again, or has anyone experienced this before?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
well it could be tendonitis, possibly achilles tendonitis.

i would say for now rest, ice it . use anti inflammatories ( if you arent allergic), you can do ibuprofen every 6 hours, 600-800 mg .......this will get the inflammation down for you.

there are other things that can be done , taping, physical therapy, orthotic inserts temporarily, among others .....once you see the doc they can diagnose and treat.......but til then i would say rest, ice and anti inflammatory.

·
Registered
100 Posts
does it hurt to touch? what sort of pain - stinging, sharp, dull ?

there is a hamstring attached at that point that you may have torn / over used.

pain at night would indicate tendonitis, but usually tendonitis doesn't hurt during exercise just after and tends to get worse at night.

i would consult a physio for an examination. good luck to you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts