VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My calcium intake is low at 500 mg per day.

I aware that for a person of my age I should be consuming at least 700 mg per day.

I have already made efforts to include more calcium in my diet by introducing flaxseed, almonds and calcium enriched soya milk and orange juice.

What else could I add to my diet to further increase my intake?

· Registered
794 Posts
More of all of the above?

Kale, broccoli, and several other dark green, leafy veg (not spinach, though- calcium is present but less available?) all are high in calcium, as well. Two or three glasses of a fortified beverage plus plenty of leafy greens will see you well on your way!

· Registered
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK12 View Post

grovvy hi , i too am low on calcuim and i take caltrate it contains 600 mg per tablet plus it contains vitamins d and zinc!
Interesting that your caltrate contains zinc. Calcium interferes with zinc absorption and taking lots of calcium might result in getting less zinc.

· Registered
2,175 Posts
If you take two per day you meet the demands of all the four ingredients. With vitamin D you're on the lower end and with calcium on the upper end. But you don't risk an overdose in vitamin D, which is the reason to limit in to 200 IU per unit.

· Registered
3,503 Posts
I've noticed through tracking my food intake that I don't get enough calcium nor do I get enough zinc. I was going to ask about foods that are rich in both, but after reading what Lothar posted, I'd like other suggestions.

· Registered
29,962 Posts
That's interesting about the calcium/zinc connection. VERY often in stores, I see Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc combination supplements. They are marketed toward women as "bone building" supplements.

btw...I've heard 1000mg/day as the gold standard for non-pg/lactating women as well. Some other ideas not yet mentioned are sesame seeds/tahini, some kinds of tofu, and fortified foods like soyamilk or cereal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.