VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take calcium as a supplement but I don't know how much I need or what to take. I take vitamins everyday and I also take "Fiber Choice plus Calcium" two chewable tablets. Each tablet has 250mg of calcium. My mom takes a calcium tablet that has 1000mg. How much should I take? I'm 26 and a strickt vegetarian so I don't eat cheese or milk etc.

xoxo

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
This link might help you out: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm If you dont' want to read the whole thing, look at the charts (scroll down a little).

It's usually better to get most of your calcium from foods like broccoli, kale, tahini, collard greens, etc, and from calcium fortified foods like soymilk, tofu, calcium-fortified orange juice, etc. Supplements are best for a backup, if you're going through a period where you aren't eating well, or if you're boosting your immune system for flu/cold season.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The RDA for a lady your age is 1000 mg. So you could figure out about how much you get from food and make up the difference with supplements.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I'm with Elena99 - calcium works MUCH better in whole foods form. Supplements should ideally be used as an "insurance policy" only - not a substitute for eating (not to say you do, but there are some that would so I feel complelled to mention it).

That said, nutritiondata.com is a lovely place to find plant-based sources of calcium.

·
Registered
976 Posts
1000mg is definately what I would recommend, although I believe it can be taken up to 1500mg before becoming a toxic dose.

I take 600mg a day, and get the remaining calcium from food sources.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I have heard that your body can only absorb 400 mg at a time, so if you are going to take more than 400mg you should spread it out over the course of the day. The doctor recommended that I take 1500mg. Unfortunately, I only take between 400 - 800 daily.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It depends on how much you have in your meals anyway.

A good example are peoples that live naturally. One Bantu tribe had only 300 mg calcium per day but didn't suffer from osteoporosis. But they also had a very low intake of protein.

If you have a normal amount of protein, don't go higher then 500 mg.

If you go higher and also have a high intake of vitamin C calcium might fall out in the urinary tract and cause for instance kidney stones.

See that you get enough vitamin D or else you calcium ends up in your stool.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Quote:
If you have a normal amount of protein, don't go higher then 500 mg.
What is a normal amount of protein. I have been reading about it and it seems to be highly debated as to exactly how much we need.

As I've said in other threads, this is so confusing sometimes!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Aimra, the general recomendation for protein is between 10 and 20% of your overall diet. but, each person is different- some do better on the lower end and some (especially those whose exercise a lot) do better on 30%.

a good way to get an idea of what nutrients you are taking in and how much carbs, protien and fat (sodium too) is to track your diet on a tool like www.fitday.com or www.nutritiondata.com

do it for a few days- you'll be suprised at the results.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
I wouldn't take 1000mg - it can't be absorbed all at once, and puts you at risk for kidney stones. Instead I'd take a 250mg in the morning with food, and 250mg at night with food. That should be plenty. I'm sure you are getting calcium in other forms in your diet.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

What is a normal amount of protein. I have been reading about it and it seems to be highly debated as to exactly how much we need.

As I've said in other threads, this is so confusing sometimes!!
That is hard to tell. Everyone has other needs. Normal is to meet the needs of your body. Best is to develop a feeling for it. Most people tend to overdo as they expect the needs to be very high. If you don't burn protein while starving and do not build up muscles your needs will be low, your needs increase if you train your muscles. So needs vary individually and from day to day and there won't be any exact number. It's rather as purrpelle has put it 10-20%.

bstutzma relates another important fact: if you fraction your calcium more is absorbed, lkess is lost, and you reduce the risk for kidney stones.

·
Registered
773 Posts
purrpelle said:
Aimra, the general recomendation for protein is between 10 and 20% of your overall diet. but, each person is different- some do better on the lower end and some (especially those whose exercise a lot) do better on 30%. QUOTE]

Okay, how do I calculate that?

Oh, and the fitday thing is awesome. I am going to try and use it a lot more often.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Aimra said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

Aimra, the general recomendation for protein is between 10 and 20% of your overall diet. but, each person is different- some do better on the lower end and some (especially those whose exercise a lot) do better on 30%. QUOTE]

Okay, how do I calculate that?

Oh, and the fitday thing is awesome. I am going to try and use it a lot more often.
fitday should calculate the percentages for you.- i have the advanced version.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.