VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the ingredients in the Ener-G egg replacer that is often spoken of here on VeggieBoards. I was just curious to see what it was (it is not available where I live).<br><br><br><br>
They say that one of the ingredients is Calcium Lactate and that this is not dairy. I was sceptical and went googling.<br><br><br><br>
I may be missing out on something, but as far as I can make out, Calcium Lactate is NOT non-dairy.<br><br><br><br>
Any input from someone on this?<br><br><br><br>
Their product seems to be a highly artificial thing. I think I prefer to go without.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I don't use it that often, but it disturbs me to think the calcium lactate in it is from dairy. I went searching as well and everything I came up with said that calcium lactate is from a non-dairy source. Only one place mentioned that calcium lactate comes from dairy. I guess a note to the company is in order. I would hope that since they know vegans use their product that the calcium lactate would truly be from a non-dairy source. I mostly use tofu or flax seed as an egg replacer.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
That's funny, I googled it and didn't see any indication that it IS an animal product. Word on the web seems to be that it's normlly made by combining lactic acid and calcium carbonate. I don't see any indication that either of these chemicals are normally produced from animal products. Commercial lactic acid is produced by bacterial fermentation, and calcium carbonate is a mined mineral. What are you seeing that makes you think it's an animal product?

·
Registered
205 Posts
About Lactic Acid, from <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid" target="_blank">Wikipedia</a>:<br><br><br><br>
Lactic acid is used in a variety of food stuffs to act as an acidity regulator. Although it can be fermented from lactose (milk sugar), most commercially used lactic acid is derived from bacteria such as Bacillus acidilacti, Lactobacillus delbueckii or L. bulgaricuswhey to ferment carbohydrates from sources such as the cornstarch, potatoes or molasses. Thus, although it is commonly known as "milk acid", products claiming to be vegan do sometimes feature lactic acid as an ingredient.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts