VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VB

im a little confused on vegan sources of calcium and the phytic acid and oxelates (or however its spelled) thing.

when people say spinach is a good source of calcium, is that AFTER the detracting of oxelates is taken into account??

and,

doesn't that mean that calcium sources should be eaten without wholegrains?

ie. spinach and brown rice..results in no calcium at all?

(sorry, im lacking in calcium so doing research

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Taurushead:

Whenever it's not such a late hour, I will discuss how milk in of itself also can deplete the body of calcium. Most sources of calcium do have a little of some other chemical that also depletes the body of calcium. This is not to say it's doomsday for getting calcium, because somehow we do manage to get plenty from greens.

For now, let me just say this: unhulled sesame seeds

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
froggy!! your wisdom AGAIN! wow
awesome.

and yes, i knew that about milk, so i don't get my calcium from there

sesame seeds...so..tahini
? yaaay.

eheh. go to sleep
and thanks as always

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Phytates and oxalate bind calcium. If you are used/adapted to full grains the body can free calcium (and other elements like zinc) out of the phytate binding (the enzymes are zinc dependant - so there might be a slight advantage for newbies to use a zinc supplement while "in transition"). Oxalate binds calcium and other elements very firmly (the molecule looks a little like a Klingon starship).

Milk is rich in protein and phosphates, which might cause a negative balance of calcium. Soda pops are also rich in phosphates. Maybe we can get froggy to elaborate on this. Anyway I agree that greens are a good source for calcium.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
About Milk: I may have promised more than I can actually give.

The general idea is the large amount of protein in milk causes the formation of acids. Your body uses calcium to balance out the PH again. The same is true for phosphates found in sodas. These cause acids to form in your digestive system and your body uses calcium to balance the PH.

Now, Gaya might be able to give a more detailed explanation of the process. For example, I have no idea why protein causes acids to form and it seems that there is something missing in my understanding: Is it proteins alone that cause the formation of acids, or is there something additional in milk (such as the phosphates Lothar mentioned) that cause the acids to form?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.