VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was recently advised by my doctor to avoid drinking caffeine (and alcohol, AND smoking!
...I'll take things one at a time) to avoid some stomach problems I've been having.

I usually enjoy about 2 mugs of hot black coffee weekday mornings and will have to phase that out.

Is there any vegan, hot, caffeine-free beverage that any of you guys enjoy as an alternative to coffee? I'm looking for something beyond the realm of plain decaf coffee or tea--those really don't do it for me in the mornings anyways (and chemically decaffeinated coffee still has some caffeine in it, and is usually gross).

If it helps, I was also having problems with acid reflux too, so anything with low acidity would probably be helpful too.

THANKS!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I know some people make "tonics" to help them get off coffee/to give them energy. Probably takes a bit longer than making coffee though.

I'll try to find a video... I think I bookmarked one.

EDIT: K, I found it. Probably won't be too too useful as you probably don't have most of the ingredients Dara uses (or maybe you do!
) But maybe it'll give you some ideas:

Tonic/Coffee Substitute

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
This wouldn't be hot, but a green smoothie would be beneficial for nutrients and also will give you a buzz/jolt of energy similiar to caffeine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also, this obviously have a totally different "taste experience" but green juices give me equal too/more energy than coffee so if I can just get past the first few minutes I don't even feel like coffee!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

This wouldn't be hot, but a green smoothie would be beneficial for nutrients and also will give you a buzz/jolt of energy similiar to caffeine.
Haha we said almost the same thing at the same time!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Maybe hot chocolate?

Quote:

green smoothie will give you a buzz/jolt of energy similar to caffeine.
say what?

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Smoothies aren't really my thing. If I drink them, its to supplement food I can't currently stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Maybe hot chocolate?
Chocolate has caffeine in it!

I don't really need a 'buzz', more like a coffee placebo that is liquid and dark and hot.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Scorp, you know the doctor is right.
So, I like Yogi Tea's Green Tea Kombucha (you can get decaf) or India Spice (the latter could irritate your belly, not sure) with a little soymilk.

Quote:

I've been juicing and drinking green smoothies my whole life and *never* have I had this experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post

Also, this obviously have a totally different "taste experience" but green juices give me equal too/more energy than coffee so if I can just get past the first few minutes I don't even feel like coffee!
I've been juicing and drinking green smoothies my whole life and *never* have I had this experience.

Quote:

say what?
Riiiight?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

So, I like Yogi Tea's Green Tea Kombucha (you can get decaf) or India Spice (the latter could irritate your belly, not sure) with a little soymilk.

Riiiight?
What greens do you use? Anyway, we can talk about it in the green smoothie thread, I suppose, instead of derailing this one since the OP doesn't want to do a smoothie.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Riiiight?
I don't do smoothies, I make green juices in a juicer with mostly vegetables and not fruit.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

I know some people make "tonics" to help them get off coffee/to give them energy. Probably takes a bit longer than making coffee though.

I'll try to find a video... I think I bookmarked one.

EDIT: K, I found it. Probably won't be too too useful as you probably don't have most of the ingredients Dara uses (or maybe you do!
) But maybe it'll give you some ideas:

Tonic/Coffee Substitute
Oh, wow, that looks like a helluva lot of work.
I went to a veg*n cafe around here once and they serve a dandelion root based drink, I'm wondering if I can get a hold of that. It was pretty good and coffee-like as far as I can recall.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Oh, wow, that looks like a helluva lot of work.
I went to a veg*n cafe around here once and they serve a dandelion root based drink, I'm wondering if I can get a hold of that. It was pretty good and coffee-like as far as I can recall.
Yeah, totally! No reason you need to put all that Dara does into her tonics
Perhaps you can google some dandelion root coffee alternative drink recipes.. if there are such things floating around.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Found a site for ya.

http://www.suite101.com/content/coff...utions-a100751
Nice, I was looking at grain beverages like Inka and Postum, they seem to fit the bill here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

Have you ever tried rooibos (red tea)? It's not really tea - it's herbal.

It has a pretty earthy taste. I like it as an alternative to coffee.
I haven't tried it, I'm a little biased towards herbal tea because in the past all they've tasted like was hot, weak fruit water to me...pretty gross. Maybe I can give that red stuff a shot if its not so fruity and weak.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:

I don't do smoothies, I make green juices in a juicer with mostly vegetables and not fruit.
Okay. Yes, I read what you said below, what I quoted before.

Quote:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

I haven't tried it, I'm a little biased towards herbal tea because in the past all they've tasted like was hot, weak fruit water to me...pretty gross. Maybe I can give that red stuff a shot if its not so fruity and weak.
Totally not fruity, as long as you get plain rooibos (they make all sorts of blends with fruit/vanilla/etc.).

It's pretty full-bodied, earthy, and kinda nutty. I think you should try it. You can brew it as strong as you want.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I like rooibos. I think it has an almost caramel-like richness to it.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Oh I love rooibos! I've found the taste slightly varies by brand, and honestly like Davidsons organic, which is cheap on Amazon.com.
I make sun tea with it all summer- sometimes blended with honeybush. Straight up, or with lemon and agave.
Straight when hot too, but also good with spices and vanilla soymilk.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.