VeggieBoards banner

Cadbury are going to produce more plain choc.

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  TreeManEarthSteward 
#1 ·
Because they say more people are buying plain chocolate as it appears to be more sophisticated to eat plain choc,.

More chocolatiers are going to follow through as well.

Goodo !! It hopefully means more vegan choice for us.

Still need to check labels though!.

See less See more
#4 ·
I seem to find that a lot of "plain" chocolate contains milk products as well. For favorites, I like this bar that Organica makes, but I'm failing to recall the exact name. Fry's makes some yummy filled bars as well.

Plus..after recent events, I'm not too keen on Cadbury. (((shudder)))

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

Why? What did they do?
They tried to cover-up a salmonella outbreak for months a year or so ago. A bunch of people got sick and they had to recall loads of product. And now they're putting chocolate through machines that process nuts and forgetting to put a nut allergy warning on the label. That company has no idea what they are doing and no quality control. I won't eat another Cadbury product because of their lack of quality control you have no idea what you are actually eating.

#8 ·
I still find it odd that every mainstream brand of dark chocolate has milk in it. Hershey, Dove, Nestle, etc all do it. The fact that I have to go to Whole Foods to get dairy-free chocolate kinda bugs me. I can't imagine Cadbury will be any better, even if they do pretend to put out plain dark chocolate.

--Fromper

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed View Post

There have produced cadburys flake in plain choc. Will look out for it and check labels.
There are milk products in it, if I remember rightly. I got a bit excited when I saw one, but then remembered it was Cadbury (of the milky Bournville) and tempered my excitement somewhat! Checking proved me right.

I think I actually emailed them to say I would have bought it if it was vegan, and did they think they would omit the milk ingredients in the future. No reply (this was months ago).

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappyhippo View Post

Yep Cadberrys have bought Green & Blacks.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. Green & Blacks is really a big industrial chocolate factory in Italy that produces product to specified recipes. Cadbury's have just purchased this factory, recipe and supply chain. They haven't changed anything and are just skimming the profit for themselves instead of the orginal owners (a consortium of investors with a few researched recipes).

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Plastic Straw View Post

Chocolate snobbery is all the rage, doncha know?
Some people like chocolate and some people like chocolate flavoured candy. Some people like Dom Pérignon and some people like Lambrini...

Remember, Cadbury's can't even be labled 'chocolate' in most EU countries because it doesn't contain enough cocoa to be labled as such. Its actually chocolate flavoured candy.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Some people like chocolate and some people like chocolate flavoured candy. Some people like Dom Pérignon and some people like Lambrini...

Remember, Cadbury's can't even be labled 'chocolate' in most EU countries because it doesn't contain enough cocoa to be labled as such. Its actually chocolate flavoured candy.
Right on! I freely admit to being a chocolate snob. I tried some rice milk chocolate once and it tasted adulterated after a long time of eating the 60% cocoa solids and upwards stuff. I swear cocoa from high fat powder with a minimum of soy milk and a bit of chocolate melted into it is superior too.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post

Right on! I freely admit to being a chocolate snob. I tried some rice milk chocolate once and it tasted adulterated after a long time of eating the 60% cocoa solids and upwards stuff. I swear cocoa from high fat powder with a minimum of soy milk and a bit of chocolate melted into it is superior too.
Have you tried the plamils sugar free chocolate. Now that is a bit different, kind of chalky and gives you the ****s. Where can you get the rice milk one, could be worth a try to see what alternative ways of making chocolate are coming.

Best sugar free one i tried was 99% cacao, gave me one hell of a high.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappyhippo View Post

Have you tried the plamils sugar free chocolate. Now that is a bit different, kind of chalky and gives you the ****s. Where can you get the rice milk one, could be worth a try to see what alternative ways of making chocolate are coming.

Best sugar free one i tried was 99% cacao, gave me one hell of a high.
That'd be the xylitol that they use in lieu of sugar, but no, I haven't. I don't think it's been on the market for very long and I'm not in the UK right now.

I think I got the chocolate from Waitrose's "free from" shelf. Come to think about it, it had puffed rice in it, not rice milk, but there was soya flour in it to replace milk. If I remember correctly, that is. Sainsbury's has something similar (38% cocoa solids) in their free from section, but without the rice.

I just remembered: If anyone can get their hands on some Booja-Booja truffles, I highly recommend them, although they are expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.