VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a C# Developer, and looking for other C# programmers to help deal with small issues and Vice Versa.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Satyagraha, I don't understand your statement. Are you against C#? If you are, why, and what do you think is the superior alternative?

Otherwise, What is the issue with it?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The standard is controlled by a company that will certainly make it harder for C# programmers to make their programs truly cross platform, which was what it it has been advertised as being.

Sure there is a stable standard, but Microsoft are very unlikely to keep to that and will introduce incompatibilities all over the place. It was the same problem earlier with trying to make a free version of Java, it was a moving target.

If you're going to make sure that your code is compatible with a free implementation of C# then okay, but there is also this issue with the Novell/Microsoft patent deal at the moment which will likely have a huge affect on mono, hopefully it won't affect it in any bad way though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have good insight on this, Actually, I've been trying to get Mono to work from my Mac, (G4) but have too little experience in Macs to get it to work.

Instead I have VirtualPC running a 300 MHz Windows XP Pro, with C# Express. If you have any knowledge of walking someone through this, I would be very appreciative.

But, given the advantages of Mono, I have been trying to keep my current C# coding down to .Net 1.0 Standards. Since that is all that Mono currently supports.

Unfortunately I come from a background of Basic, (over 20 years) included in touching assembly, gates, C++, Ansi C, TI8x, and various others. But since my prime langauge was VB, My intention on C# was to take my .Net knowledge and get me closer to C/C++.

What is your language of choice?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Unfortunately I can't code very well, but have slowly been making my way through the python version of how to think like a computer scientist, I'd really like to go to uni or just find some people that want to learn to program, and learn with them.

I played with Basic many years ago, learnt C but I can't do anything useful with it. Python seems quite nice.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Python is indeed very nice
(Of course, I don't think it's very useful for things like game programming / graphics and so on.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts