VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you not familliar with the AETA (Which may be all of you or none of you, I'm actually new to this forum), it is an act passed by US congress that basically labels animal rights as terrorism. Here it is in all it's full, beautiful glory: http://www.noaeta.org/bill.htm?bill=h109-4239

Here's my favourite part of the whole triumphant bible of weaseldom (no offense to weasels):

"`(3) the term `economic damage'--

`(B) does not include any lawful economic disruption (including a lawful boycott) that results from lawful public, governmental, or business reaction to the disclosure of information about an animal enterprise;"

The good parts:

1. the term "economic damage" can mean buffalos standing on top of a steaming pile of green candle wax if it wants. To the best of my knowledge, it isn't actually used anywhere in the bill.

2. should a boycott be deemed unlawful by any other part of the bill (and it is), it would therefore be no longer considered a "lawful boycott".

3. while the bill is clear (pronounced "ahm-big-you-us") about reactions to disclosure about information (the same way it deals with "lawful boycotts"), it fails to protect the disclosure itself. Translation: Reacting to information is legal, presenting it is not.

Much love

-London "Help! They're in my house!" Down

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes, I have the same fear, because it specifies "lawful boycotts" and other "lawful" acts, that any activity during which someone breaks a rule will become an act of terrorism.

I participated in a home demonstration against HLS. We were told to be careful where we stood (don't step on anyone's lawn, for instance) and had to take pains not to give any appearance of breaking any tiny rules, even. One policeman asked us not to use the bullhorn, so of course we didn't. We took pictures the whole time, and taped all interactions with law enforcement, for our own protection.

I especially like the punishments that are meted out for actions that result in NO economic damage, including loss of profits, and NO fear of bodily harm. Yes, I had to keep staring at the language, but that's what it said. It went on to specify further punishments for damage less than $10,000 and then more than $10,000, etc. but there were fines and/or jail time for NO economic damage and NO fear of bodily harm. NONE.

·
Registered
486 Posts
oh, and the other thing is that it includes any enterprise that does business with an animal enterprise. So if you make any business transaction with any business that sells anything derived from animals, then you can claim protection through this act.

Basically, now, protesting ANY business can be prosecuted under this act. That should scare NON-animal rights activists, too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't heard about this. So what are my rights here exactly? There's a factory farm near me with hens inside it, and I was thinking about getting some signs and just standing along the road so people would be aware of the horror that goes on there. I also want to start leafleting. Does this mean I can't?

This is the kind of crap that really REALLY pisses me off. I mean, really, how many times over the years have AR activists done something truly violent? Not many. If AR activists are having their rights compromised, then why not Muslims? It's the same situation with a few violent individuals in a group, sow what's the difference? Or Christians? Or republicans or democrats? There are always extremists. I love how it talks so much about the 'economic' damage. Isn't that just like us, to put money ahead of rights...

Aaargh!

·
Registered
486 Posts
You should look into your local ordinances and figure out where you are allowed to stand, for one thing. The law says that it doesn't affect things like lawful boycotts and peaceful protests. You'd be safe with leafletting and holding signs. Sometimes you can't use a bullhorn without a permit etc.

Whenever I hear people talking about AR extremism, I like to point out that it's about as accurate as portraying pro-lifers as people who like to bomb abortion clinics and murder doctors. There were more violent incidents like that within the pro-life movement than with animal rights which has yet to kill anyone.

What area are you in? Maybe others nearby could help you - it's a great idea and I hope you will do it!! Welfare orgs like Peta or maybe orgs specializing in birds (United Poultry Concerns) might provide good signs for you. Keep us posted!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts