VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. forget the list. If people don't want to believe it that's fine. I was only trying to shed some light on a subject. Besides "simple reasearch" will not find you all the answers. Most fasinating truths are so well hidden you may never know unless someone does "extensive" research on the inside. Like I said it was for informational purposes. Getting antsy about a list that you may not agree with is not the best way to go about getting to the bottom of something.

·
Registered
820 Posts
This list might be somewhat confusing for new Veg*ns. The products listed at the site CAN be made with animal ingredients, but aren't always. Chewing gum is one example from the list. Wrigley's products are all Vegan, and in the US, they are the largest gum producer. Some major market cake mixes are also Vegan (unless you add the eggs like it says in the instructions).

This list is a great wake up for how intrinsic animal ingredients are, but I worry that a list like this might make potential Veg*ns think that being veg is too hard.

·
Banned
2,550 Posts
thats a weird list.

first it lists a bunch of animal things that may be necessary for a human's survival, like a heart valve....k. of course it comes from an animal, that's its name.

and then how there is meat in things like....potted meat and sausage casing. well DUH!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The point of the list is to show that some companies will put anything they want in whatever they want. I know it is a long list of items but it's mainly for informational purposes, not to scare people off. It's just an eye opener. Also of course, not every particular item has animal products in it and you must keep an open mind when acquiring knowledge of health and society. Things should not be sugar coated. As far as the comment about people thinking it would be too hard to be Vegan, as with anything well worth it, it takes alot of effort and consideration. If you are planning on being Vegan or vegetarian don't let little things stop you. As many of us already know it may be one of the best decisions you ever make......................good luck

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

nevermind the lack of sugar coating, I can handle that.

I just gotta know.... *does* pasta have beef blood in it?
In a word, NO.

In the US, all ingredients are required to be listed on the package - even *trace* ingredients.

I have never, ever seen a package of pasta with anything even CLOSE... and in a quick review of the major brands websites, found no such ingredients listed either...

As mentoned above, this list is VERY misleading, sure some of these ingredients could be in SOME of the items listed, but this list makes it appear that virtually everything is full of animal ingredients.

Do some simple research, read the labels if you're worried.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
That list is whack. Disregard. Plus it's 5 years old.

Check out the main page of the site. Definetely pseudo-science.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kpickell said:
That list is whack. Disregard. Plus it's 5 years old.

Check out the main page of the site. Definetely pseudo-science.[/QUOTE

Saying it's 5 years old only means that by now there are probably 100's more products than this due to genericizing and commercialization of products. It is a truth site. Pseudo-science is not them main theme. It is non-mainstream media. By the way I don't deal with information that is "whack"

Here are some other resources. I took the other list off.

http://www.dataoptions.com/animaluses.htm#BodyParts

http://www.api4animals.org/1318.htm

http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef%20by%20products.htm

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

In a word, NO.

In the US, all ingredients are required to be listed on the package - even *trace* ingredients.

I have never, ever seen a package of pasta with anything even CLOSE... and in a quick review of the major brands websites, found no such ingredients listed either...

As mentoned above, this list is VERY misleading, sure some of these ingredients could be in SOME of the items listed, but this list makes it appear that virtually everything is full of animal ingredients.

Trace amounts and even moderate amounts "do not" always have to be listed, or can be termed under words such as "emulsifiers" "binders" "flavourings" "colorings" "additives" "preservatives" "coagulants" "frangrances" and any number of non-informative words even animal by-products. It's not very useful to try to get all of your info on a product from it's makers website. Simple research is not always enough because it is usually hidden. If you had a product made of crushed insects or ground cattle bones would you put it on the label if you didn't have to?

Take a look here..http://www.ncagr.com/agscool/commodi...htm#Production

·
Registered
457 Posts
This list is kind of depressing because I am trying to become a vegan but it seems more and more impossible to avoid all animal products. I've read on other vegan websites, though, that a person could never truly be vegan and must accept this, because you are always using animals products in one way or another. For instance, it said bike tires contain some kind of animal byproduct, and I'm sure there are a lot of vegans who choose to ride bikes instead of drive cars. Is it just a fact of life that we will always use some kind of animal byproduct and we just need to do the best that we can do?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

The original post was deleted. The list was found somewhere on http://www.rense.com/ for anyone confused by what we're talking about. Judge for yourself if you think that's a trustworthy source.
Thanks kpickell. Because I am sitting here wondering what the heck everyone is talking about.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I do read lables but I still don't know all the ingredients yet. And vitamins, I'm still learning the origins of (I know D3 but that's about it). I was scared that maybe one of the ingredients in enriched pasta was derived from blood. It was a simple question that shouldn't have recieved a condescending answer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts