VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
BUSH: GOVERNMENT CAN OPEN YOUR MAIL

White House Says It Has Always Had Such Power, to Be Used in 'Extraordinary Circumstances'

Jan. 4, 2007 President Bush says he and other government officials have the power to snoop through your mail without a judge's warrant.

Bush made the claim last month in a signing statement attached to a postal reform bill. Bush wrote that the bill "provides for opening of an item of a class of mail otherwise sealed against inspection."
* Related: vote: Looking at Your Letters: Invasion of Privacy?

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/s...2770381&page=1

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
I really don't understand the big concern. I mean, unless you're a criminal there is nothing to be afraid of. And we want criminals to go to jail, right?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nothing is personal.. but its a violation of privacy.

Shouldnt we be able to have the right to scoop around TOP CLASSIFIED documents the government is witholding from us?!?!??! All the damn lies... They're criminals too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

I really don't understand the big concern. I mean, unless you're a criminal there is nothing to be afraid of. And we want criminals to go to jail, right?

I don't think your argument is valid. I could argue that for national security it would be necessary to install cameras inside all houses, if you opposed I could say "unless you're a criminal there is nothing to be afraid of. And we want criminals to go to jail, right?". Theoretically there's no difference between monitoring your e-mails or monitoring your house, since in both situation we are talking about privacy vilation. Would you permit the government to install a cam inside your house? I think the answer is no.

The government must protect us but this doesn't mean that it can violate our privacy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts