VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spen a painful couple of hours dealing with customer service at a few burrito places, so to save others the torture:

Chipotle uses bacon in their pintos. bad

Qdoba does not.

Both have vegan black beans.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post

I spen a painful couple of hours dealing with customer service at a few burrito places, so to save others the torture:

Chipotle uses bacon in their pintos. bad

Qdoba does not.

Both have vegan black beans.
I don't understand why they would make pinto beans non vegetarian and black beans vegetarian. I happen to like pinto beans and i'm very tired of only eating black beans all the time. There is a sign there that says that the pinto beans aren't vegetarian at chipotle....you'd think something like beans that are nauturally vegan wouldn't need meat in it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Pinto beans are a "traditional" staple of Southwest/Mexican cooking, where pork fat is part of their usual preparation. The popularity of black beans is a more recent development, and they seem to be thought of as more "sophisticated" and favored at places that cater to a crowd with more prorgressive values.

Yes, it's weird that there is a socioeconomic/subcultural schism between two colors of beans, but there it is.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I love Chipotle! Yes, their pinto beans aren't vegan, but every other filling (except the meat, cheese, and sour cream) is. It's a great place to get a quick, filling, and delicious meal without having to ask a ton of questions.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Oh my gosh, my kids and I love Qdoba! I really don't care for Chipotle so much - the salsas taste very "generic" and bottled to me - bleh...

We also have the Taco Del Mar chain around here and their (pinto) beans are vegan which actually surprises me since - as Suesomon pointed out, pork fat is pretty standard for those cultures that have traditionally used and cooked pinto beans (BTW, I just wanted to say, you always have great contributions Suesoman).

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

Pinto beans are a "traditional" staple of Southwest/Mexican cooking, where pork fat is part of their usual preparation. The popularity of black beans is a more recent development, and they seem to be thought of as more "sophisticated" and favored at places that cater to a crowd with more prorgressive values.

Yes, it's weird that there is a socioeconomic/subcultural schism between two colors of beans, but there it is.
I eat black beans a lot now... But you can't beat pintos when they are mashed into refried beans. (which is the unfortunate circumstance where most have lard)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts