VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Am new to this forum but thought this would be a good place to go if I wanted some answers I didn't find elsewhere.

I recently spoke to a PT at my nearby gym about eggs and cholesterol. He said eggs are a good source of protein etc yadda yadda yadda.... I brought up the fact of 1 egg contains more cholesterol than a steak. He said and I quote

"Everything with fats in them contain cholesterol to some degree, but with my training and cardio etc. I don't give the fats a chance to become visceral as I'm using them for energy on the days when my carb intake is low."

Can cholesterol be burnt as energy and ultimately be controlled?

·
Vegan since 1991
3,667 Posts

·
Vegan since 1991
3,667 Posts
Can cholesterol be burnt as energy and ultimately be controlled?
No.

The American Council on Exercise, one of the most reputable certification organizations for personal trainers, makes this statement regarding cholesterol:

"Exercise itself does not "burn off" cholesterol like it can with fat tissue" (see paragraph five of this article from the American Council on Exercise): https://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/pdfs/fitfacts/itemid_109.pdf

All of these nutritionally-ignorant "fitness experts" are making me lose my cool.

Reactions: Naturebound

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
Yeah, plant fats contain either no cholesterol or amusingly tiny traces so small as to only interest chemists.

And no, sadly cholesterol cant be burned for energy. The body has no way to do that.
The only way cholesterol can be disposed of is to turn some into bile acids and inject the cholesterol/bile acid mixture into the intestines. There it acts as a kind of soapy solvent to help vitamins get absorbed. At the end of digestion the body tries to reabsorb both the bile acids and cholesterol [enterohepatic circulation]. If you consume fiber some of both will stick to the fiber and leave the body. This is one reason things like oats and brown rice lower cholesterol.

Also, just 'burning fat' wont somehow keep cholesterol low. Its common for fit and 'healthy' people like fire fighters and body builders to get tested and find out their cholesterol is over 300. It really is a different critter than fat.

If you want low cholesterol eat plants, lots and lots of plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts