VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who also lives in a small town or in the country, does everyone there burn nature every spring?

I live in rural Manitoba and right now everyone is burning leaves in their yard, and they are open fires! no pits! Someone tried to burn all the leaves out of a nice little gulley beside my house (in town) and we called the fire dept. because those morons had no way to put it out and it was windy and would have lit our sheds on fire!

Farmers burn all the ditches, which are some of the last remaining vestiges of mixed grass prairie. they burn all the stubble in their fields too.

And why do you need to burn leaves or take them to the dump? they are natural, they look nice (I think) and they will decompose and add nutrients to you lawn, but instead people rake them all up and then add chemicals to their lawns later!!

And the town is filled with smoke!! It stinks.

I am saddened by the pyromaniacal mindset of my rural neighbours.

·
Registered
137 Posts
yer right leafs are good for lawns

yet cities will fine you if u do not rake

also if u do not mow

its about money or health codes or more than likely about looking nice

sad i like tall grass and leaves everywhere

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I didn't know cities would fine you! On what basis though? What's unhealthy or expensive about dead leaves?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Here it is a safety thing as well as appearance... long grass and dead leaves is an invitation to fire season... our spring and summer are very very hot and bushfires are common... so many people in rural areas to burnoffs and such to prevent worse uncontrolled fires later on that could kill many animals and some humans... that said, there's nothing worse than an uncontrolled burnoff, I see them sometimes and they make me MAD!

·
Registered
0 Posts
funny this was brought up. i wrote a letter to the mayor yesterday asking how its legal for contractors to burn vegetation they are to lazy and cheap to ship out to a landfill or somewhere else to decompose. I sincerly hate when they do this. its so disgusting that they dont think of environmental consequences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.