VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
"Meat is murder," activists from the Animal Liberation Front scrawled on a McDonald's restaurant here last month.

Two crude incendiary devices failed to ignite, but a second McDonald's in this Sacramento Valley college town was damaged a week later by burning debris. A day later, two Albuquerque, N.M., McDonald's and an Arby's were firebombed, with police suggesting similar ties to the nation's most active, destructive domestic terrorists.

The Golden Arches have been hit abroad as a symbol of the United States' corporate dominance and encroaching lifestyle. But the fire bombings of the ubiquitous hamburger restaurants at home have hit a jarring note with company officials and law enforcement nationwide.

An Earth Liberation Front promotional video called "Igniting the Revolution" features McDonald's among its corporate targets. The FBI labels the elusive, loosely knit shadow organizations the nation's most active and destructive domestic terror groups, responsible for more than $43 million in damage in more than 600 attacks since 1996.

"They're going after the wrong people, because we have an exemplary record when it comes to animal welfare," said McDonald's Corp. spokeswoman Lisa Howard.

McDonald's launched a public relations effort in response, erecting racks of brochures at its restaurants and information on its Web site touting its social and environmental stewardship.

That's not good enough for ALF and ELF, said Rodney Coronado, a former ALF member who spent more than four years in prison for a 1992 fire bombing of animal research laboratories at Michigan State University.

"Wherever they are, McDonald's are a legitimate target for people who want to protect the earth," Coronado said. "McDonald's is a symbol of international animal abuse and environmental destruction."

Coronado demonstrated a device similar to that used in the Chico attack at a January conference at Washington, D.C.'s American University. Directions on building the devices also are on ALF's and ELF's Web sites, enabling activists to encourage copycat arsons without having direct knowledge of the crimes.

"It's a way we can insulate ourselves there's no signature device. It's a crude, inexpensive device that can be very effective," Coronado said, though the ones in Chico fizzled.

Ron Arnold of the Center for the Defense of Free Enterprise in Bellevue, Wash., said the elusive attacks leave McDonald's Corp. in a state of denial as it juggles more than 30,000 restaurants in 118 countries serving 46 million customers a day.

It downplays attacks for fear of frightening customers and shareholders, said Arnold, author of "EcoTerror: The Violent Agenda to Save Nature-the World of the Unabomber."

David Martosko, research director for the Washington, D.C.-based Center for Consumer Freedom, said McDonald's attacks that get publicity are "literally the tip of the iceberg."

"I think McDonald's has made itself vulnerable in a certain way by its history of capitulating" to aboveground animal rights groups like People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said Martosko, whose organization represents restaurants and food manufacturers.

PETA has embarrassed several fast-food chains into altering their practices, but "McDonald's was really the first to respond by saying, 'OK, we'll do things your way,"' Martosko said. "To my mind, that sends a message to the entire social movement that you can be pushed around here."

Factory farms, slaughterhouses and animal research facilities all might be closer to animal cruelty, and all have been targeted by animal rights groups.

But people identify far more with their local McDonald's, said Gary Perlstein, a professor emeritus at Oregon's Portland State University and board member of the watchdog group Stop Eco-Violence.

"A terrorist group is always going to attack the symbol," Perlstein said. "McDonald's will be a target until they only sell vegetable sandwiches."

ALF and ELF are closely affiliated and brag about their attacks through aboveground intermediaries like Coronado. Yet the groups frustrate investigators who say they have no structure, operating in anonymous cells that commit copycat crimes and then disappear.

Two weeks before the Chico attacks, Coronado appeared at a conference for radical activists at California State University, Fresno, 230 miles south of Chico.

He now divides his time between Tucson, Ariz., and Northern California, and plans to be back in Fresno next week giving a seminar to prospective tree-sitters who want to protest logging by Pacific Lumber Co. along California's North Coast. His involvement in those protests has enabled Pacific Lumber to suggest the pacifist protesters there are allied with ecoterrorists.

While Coronado encouraged property damage aimed at corporations, he emphasized ALF's and ELF's credo of avoiding injuries or death to humans or animals. He denounced as aberrations recent violent statements by ELF and former ELF spokesman Craig Rosebraugh that law enforcement officials fear may signal a change in the group's philosophy.

"We as a movement are brought up to be nonviolent," Coronado said. "We know the repression that awaits people who use physical violence."

Regardless of intent, law enforcement officials said it's only a matter of time before someone is hurt or killed, perhaps fighting one of the groups' arson fires.

Yet the groups' distinction between damaging property and harming people has helped make them successful, particularly in university environments where they flourish, said Perlstein.

"Because a lot of people agree with the goal the protection of animals they have a hard time agreeing that the activities of ALF or ELF are terrorism," Perlstein said. "They just refuse to put the same label on this as they do al-Qaida."
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/0428...errorists.html

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
"They're going after the wrong people, because we have an exemplary record when it comes to animal welfare," said McDonald's Corp. spokeswoman Lisa Howard.

LOL !

·
Registered
0 Posts
i think terrorist groups like the animal liberation front all need to be thrown in jail. what people forget is that we are animals too. to hate humans and want to attack in violence becouse they sell and eat meat would make no sence. why dont we attack lions cuz they eat zebras. violence will do nothing. and what if they attack a burger king when a veggitarian is in thear getting a bk veggie. hurting humans is no better then hurting another animal.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
As far as I know, no one has ever been injured or killed by an ALF attack (it goes against the group's credo). They destroy property only, with the goal of liberating animals and causing financial harm to people who contribute to animal suffering. I personally do not support the ALF, but I do have trouble feeling sorry for their victims.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1vegan

LOL !
Mickey D's propaganda: http://www.mcdonalds.com/corporate/s...ace/index.html

Salient points:

"...recent actions:

Animal Welfare

*\tImplementing improvements throughout the industry on farm animal welfare

*\tCreating McDonald's Animal Welfare Council - the industry's first independent board of academic and animal protection experts. The Council has led to additional leadership initiatives for the well-being of cattle, poultry and hogs.

Beef Safety

*\tExploring the latest research in the area of beef safety by forming an International Scientific Advisory Council - a panel of independent experts - that brings the most advanced thinking to the prevention of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).

*\tAdding another safety firewall to the U.S. beef supply by requiring suppliers to certify their animals have been raised only on approved feed."

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Peebs

As far as I know, no one has ever been injured or killed by an ALF attack (it goes against the group's credo). They destroy property only, with the goal of liberating animals and causing financial harm to people who contribute to animal suffering. I personally do not support the ALF, but I do have trouble feeling sorry for their victims.
They are criminals. Nothing more than criminals. And they should be locked up and left to rot just like any other criminal. Would you appreciate someone coming to your home and damaging your house and property just because they did not agree with your chosen way of life?

These people are not to be revered or put on any sort of pedestal. They should be treated for what they are... criminals.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I agree. Destruction of private property is a crime. Two wrongs do not make a right. I have no sympathy for the victims, either, but they deserve equal protection under the law.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

They are criminals. Nothing more than criminals. And they should be locked up and left to rot just like any other criminal. Would you appreciate someone coming to your home and damaging your house and property just because they did not agree with your chosen way of life?

These people are not to be revered or put on any sort of pedestal. They should be treated for what they are... criminals.
I never said they weren't criminals or that they shouldn't go to jail. I just pointed out that they do not hurt or kill people. They are terrorists but they are not murderers.

I'm just saying that while I don't like the ALF burning down buildings, I dislike even more the cruel methods we employ to make fur coats and hamburgers, I feel sympathy for neither ALF agents in jail nor the SOB who had his fur shop burned down.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
As much as the thought of a burning McDonalds restaurant is appealing to a lot of veg*ns, it is very much wrong. Violence is not right in any shape or form.

These people need to look at Gandhi as an example. His ideology was to have peaceful protests. It worked. Animal rights protestors should be peaceful as well, and shouldn't set fire to McDoanlds restaurants. (Though putting up signs next to McDonalds restaurants that read "This food is s**t" is OK by me because there's nothing wrong with the truth!)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Loki, while I do agree with much of what you say... I personally have little patience for the protesting either. The way I see it, people should just worry about their own lives rather than trying to convert everyone else.

People will make their own choices in life, and most will just get their backs up and become defensive if other's views are forced upon them.

If doctors warning, health reports/warnings, etc. have not managed to get people to stop eating at places like that... certainly a group of people outside chanting "meat is bad" is not gonna make a lot of difference.

For me, I have much better things to do with my time than trying to convert the 'non-believers' and, really, I could not care less if others eat meat or not. I do what is right for me, no one else.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:

I do what is right for me, no one else.
Does "no one else" include any (potential) partners/offspring?

If I were to follow the whole "for me" mentality then I'd be ****ing a lot people around without a thought.... but I don't suffer from any delusions that it's in any way primarily about me.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Kurm, I'm not really sure what you are asking? Do I force everyone else around me to eat meat or not eat meat because it might conflict with my views? Absolutely not.

Would I force my pets or kids to abide by my dietary choice? Nope, not at all.

What I do is strictly for me and how I choose to live. It has nothing to do with anyone else and I have no expectations of anyone around me to follow the leader. If they choose to do so on their own, that's fine. But I'll never preach to them or try to convert them. And certainly I will not refuse to attend events cause the menu conflicts with my choices in life, etc.

It makes no difference to me at all what others choose to eat. That's their choice, not mine.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:

What I do is strictly for me and how I choose to live.

It makes no difference to me at all what others choose to eat. That's their choice, not mine.
For me, I have to take into account how it'll affect others, both now and in the future...... nothing is strictly about me and how I choose to live, no matter how I approach it. As much as non-humans are, we humans are temporary here, and primarily of little consequence.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Quote:

If doctors warning, health reports/warnings, etc. have not managed to get people to stop eating at places like that... certainly a group of people outside chanting "meat is bad" is not gonna make a lot of difference.

The effectiveness of protests is questionable. However, the reason that many people still eat meat is that there is widespread ignorance about how animals are raised for food. In the mind's eye many people have an inaccurate picture of farming, that of the open range family farm which has been virtually wiped out by factory farming. Almost no one is aware of the animal cruelty and environmental destruction that goes on. I was ignorant for a long time, and when I found out that the meat/dairy/egg industry had been lying to me, I regretted not becoming vegetarian sooner.

The idea of bringing others to vegetarianism is a good one, but it should be done in a way that doesn't force it on people. I favour methods like pamphletting and setting a good example. Giving people information doesn't hurt anyone. My own father has quit eating pork and chicken as a result of things I taught him about factory farms. Politeness and facts go a lot farther than angry protests and arson.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Peebs

I favour methods like pamphletting and setting a good example. Giving people information doesn't hurt anyone. My own father has quit eating pork and chicken as a result of things I taught him about factory farms. Politeness and facts go a lot farther than angry protests and arson.
Absolutely, politeness will go a lot farther. If nothing else, it will remove the immediate defensive wall most people will put up.

On the pamphletting, I have no issue with it unless it is stuck on my windshield. I consider anything unsolicited on my windshield trespassing on my private property. If its not your vehicle, leave it alone. I certainly did not spend several thousands of dollars on a vehicle to be used by any group as a free advertisement medium. Note, around here, we are subjected to all sorts of pamphletting on cars downtown for everything from "no smoking" to "vote for me" to "Jesus Can Save You" so it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

The only exception would be parking tickets and such as that is something I agreed to by getting a license and registering a vehicle. (that parking tickets and such may be levied).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I agree that a certain amount of advocacy is in order, as the "truth" needs to be told to help counter the lies that are shoved in our faces every day by multi-million dollar ad campaigns.

That said, I'm personally more interested in change on a personal level. It can't help but happen. Today I met a vegetarian that was interested in learning more about going vegan. I also met an omni at lunch who was your typical "guy's guy" with the macho attitude toward food, and when he overheard me ask if the gardenburgers at the cafeteria were vegan he asked my why I was vegan with that typical tone of voice, but he ended up being very patient and listened to my reasons for going vegan without saying anything critical. It was a good day.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:

[OT] Robert, of course if one doesn't care about the animals then there's no point in trying to get others to stop eating meat. The reason we care what others choose to eat is because it's causing millions of animals to suffer. If I was a vegetarian only for health reasons then I wouldn't care what others did because it's their own body.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Kpickell, as I mentioned, I enjoy my lifestyle and do it only for myself. I've learned more about the veg* lifestyle just by visiting places like VB. It had absolutely nothing to do with these firebombings or animal "liberations" or protests, etc and certainly nothing to do with PeTA or the ALF criminals.

I simply felt that my previous diet combined with a slowing of my metabolism as I got older was making me more lethargic. For purely health reasons, I decided to learn more about vegetariansm. I did not do it for animals. That's just a side effect of being veg*, but definitely not the reason I choose to eat differently than I did previously.

If someone chooses to eat meat or not... that's their choice to make, not mine. And you can bet I won't firebomb their property because I disagree with them.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm pretty sure most people at this site agree that firebombing other people's property is wrong. Am I incorrect, anyone?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts