VeggieBoards banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
For the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, all the homeless people were relocated (to where I'm not sure) so as to provide some sort of false idealistic image of the city. They were permitted to come back after the Olympics finished, and now tourists can once again see that Sydney is no better or worse than any other city (although that action sure doesn't score it any points).

Edited to add:

And apparently Atlanta (1996) and Los Angeles (1984) did the same (I knew we'd have gotten that idea from the US!
).

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Nothing like forced removal to tell people, "We're ashamed of you; you don't deserve us."

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
my city is putting a bid in for the winter olympics 2010.

we know from our experience in holding a world's fair in the 80s that all the cheap hotels/motels/hostels will raise their nightly rates to outrageous sums so that the regular residents of these places can not afford to stay there during the event. even if they aren't forcibly relocated, making everything 100x more expensive serves the same purpose.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I wonder where they moved the homeless to? Maybe they had to build more temporary housing? I can't see government moving a whole group of people like that and not helping them with somewhere to move to. Maybe some good came out of it?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

I wonder where they moved the homeless to?

nobody moved the homeless. the homeless moved themselves, onto the streets.

Quote:
Maybe they had to build more temporary housing? I can't see government moving a whole group of people like that and not helping them with somewhere to move to. Maybe some good came out of it?

ha hahahaha.

you don't know our government very well.

why would they spend thousands of dollars on people who are considered a nuisance to the rest of society, when they are struggling to come up with the money to show all the tourists in our town how very "flashy" and "futuristic" and "wonderful" a place this is to visit?

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

So the question remains: if the charity gives money or things to the street people, why can't you give money or things to the street people?

I'm sure you must have a good reason. No?
As I stated before:

Quote:
There is a lot of information about panhandling and panhandlers at:

http://4homeless.hypermart.net/panhandler.html
If you bother to read the information on this site, the answers to your questions might occur to you.

Also, as I stated before:

Quote:
And it is not a question of what I can do, but what I choose not to do.
If you cannot understand this simple distinction--or refuse to accept it--then you don't merit any "answers" to your questions from me. Don't waste my time asking for answers, while ignoring or distorting the ones you have already gotten.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:

I wonder where they moved the homeless to?
Here in Nashville, the local government is fairly directly responsible for creating much of the homelessness that exists. For one thing, much of downtown Nashville consists of government buildings. Nashville condemned and used eminent domain to seize many SRO (Single Room Occupancy) hotels, and their former occupants--who were economically marginal but not homeless before the destruction of the SROs--then were evicted, thrown out into the streets, and became homeless. The government took no responsibility for securing new housing for them. And there is always another new government building project being planned, so always another reason to destroy more low-income housing.

A similar process was involved in the acquisition of the property for Nashville's football stadium, which displaced many (semi?) homeless, who were living in temporary shelters there. Our Mayor who did this is now our Governor. The majority of people who vote don't care much about or for the homeless, and the politics of the situation seem to indicate that the homeless can be trampled on without any political repercussions.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I did some research on the Australian homeless in regards to their Olympics last night (as I usually do research something when I'm curious). Turned out that 'moving' them wasn't the whole story. One of the welfare agency's there started working more than a year in advance on adding more temporary housing and educational/training programs to get these folks back up on their feet. Post Olympics, $12 mil was earmarked for permanent housing and a 4 point plan was submitted by government to continue to work on the situation.

I tried finding information about how successful it has all been but couldn't really locate anything. Sure, they still have homeless folks. But, are they as many as before the Olympics? That is what I'b be interested in knowing. If what they did had a band-aid effect or did it truly work positively for the folks that needed the help. If it worked, maybe Canada or the US could learn something from the Australians.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Giving an homeless person money to buy beer is not going to help them get off the streets. Direct them to the nearest organization that can meet their real needs. They may be pissed at you for not giving them a dollar, but they need to know that panhandling is never going to give them enough money to become self-sufficient--it'll only give them enough money to survive another night or get another hit.

At our shelter the number one reason people have become homeless is because their drug or alcohol addictions interfered with their life. Getting help for thier addictions needs to be their first priority.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:

1- I often wonder what was the turn of events in a person's life that lands them in that situation. I'm not just talking about drugs and alcohol....what happened so terrible that a person gets so dependent on drugs and alcohol that they loose everything and are living on the street? I mean, specific things happen in a persons life to get them where they are at. I wonder what some of their life stories are.

2- Did some come from middle class homes?

3- Or were they always in poverty. Do some have an education?

4-Do some actually choose that way of life versus one that we see as 'normal' and desirable? 5- Maybe if we know what got them there in the first place, we may find a solution to end these people not having homes or food or jobs.
RE:

1-\tMostly a stack of events lead to living on the streets.

Like: not the most strongest state of mind, loose job, loss of relationship, depressed, going into alcohol/drugs, bothering people bc alcohol abuse, not paying rent bc they run out of money or not opening post bc they feel they cannot face it. Sometimes they turn psychotic for a while.

2-\tYes, If there network of friends/family disappears some people cannot cope and end up in the streets.

3-\tNo, some people have a academy degree, then they loose their family, flip and things go worse and worse.

4-\tSome people choose to keep living like this. They feel so rejected by society that they dont want to conform to the grid we want them to live in.

They dont want obligations anymore.

5-\tWe know what the problem is. In my country there were savings on mental help and other things. Since then the number of homeless has gone up.

I some times give money, but have not fixed rule for it.

Some times I even think: go get a drink, if it makes him/her happy for a moment..

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
a newborn baby was found alone on the ground by city hall in TO, and they think the mother is a 41 year old homeless woman with a mental illness. she's in court. i think they should be more worried about getting her some counselling and health care than whether or not she should go to jail.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts