VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
When I was about 21 I met a 14-year old girl, and her just slightly younger sister, and their father, plus the father's new wife, and their little baby girl, when they were all just camping out on someone's property who let them stay there for awhile no-charge, because the family didn't have a real home to live in. Txxxx lived in an old abandoned half-sized school bus, with her 13-or so year old sister. Her father and the wife and the baby lived in tent. I got to know them a little bit. I had a guitar and I sang and the 14-year old asked for information about how to play the guitar, and I gave her some information. She is now a famous entertainer. Singer-songwriter-guitar-player. Must be about 48 now. Possibly more like 46. I think perhaps she may have exaggerated her age when she said she was 14. She looked younger.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
You have a very interesting dad, skylark. Sounds like you are very fortunate. Many people have good parents. But some of us have had parents that are just not working on all 8 cylinders, and rather than being helped by them, we had to figure out how to survive despite the crazy things they did.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
From the blog:

=================

Giving up on life is what occupies the minds of most homeless people. That is why homelessness and suicide are so similar. Taking one's own life is much harder to do than people may think. Being homeless is the next best thing.

==================

I think this is bull****. False stereotype?

I was homeless for several months, and all i could think of the whole time was how to find a place to live and get the money to afford a decent place to live.

Eventually i found a way, but it was a poor way. I had a home, but was even unhappier there than I was being homeless -- where my main problem was malnutrition not depression. Living in a house, with someone I couldn't stand -- that's when I got depressed.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I hated being homeless. I found getting enough vegan food to be very difficult, and I went from 140 pounds to 90 pounds.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Musicians who are playing are not beggars. They are self-employed working entertainers. I don't have any money but if I like their music I give them a token amount and comment if I like their music. Nothing long winded, or too embarassing, just "love it; I love music."

I would much prefer to support them than to support the corrupt and disgusting recording industry -- who doesn't do anything different than they do -- who just do it usually inferiorly to street musicians.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"My family has donated to this charity, and I would feel much better about giving money to the Mission than just handing it to a street person."

If they give money or things to street people, why can't you?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I meant if the charity gives money or other things to street people -- why can't you? Since you said your family gives money to the charity, and you did not mention your family giving any money to the street people, there would be no reason for me to think or say that your family did any such thing. But it seems reasonable to assume that the charity gives either money or things to street people. So the charity seems the obvious noun that I was referring to, with the pronoun "they."

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
So the question remains: if the charity gives money or things to the street people, why can't you give money or things to the street people?

I'm sure you must have a good reason. No?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts