VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like them. Pretty much every time I go shopping, they are standing with their signs at the store entrances. I always give them $2, because I could purchase a meal for that. However, my $ has no strings attached...if they want to buy alcohol with the money, that is their choice.

With many charities, you don't know where the money goes, or how much really gets to the needy. When I give a bum 2 bucks, I know he or she gets it all. I have never had a bad experience, such as Kreeli. I have been lucky.

If I didn't have children, I would consider taking some of these people home with me, to give them real help...but I can not risk my kids, of course. I just hate to think of people actually sleeping outside, cold and uncomfortable every night. I mean, my dogs have a house...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I like the term "bum" - it sounds friendly to me. I do not look down on bums, at all. I look down on the "haves" if I look down on anyone...

Skylark, that was a long story to say that your dad wouldn't give a bum some money. I wouldn't want to eat lunch with a stranger, either. Your proud of your dad because the guy didn't get any $ off him?

It is obvious to me, that our society is letting many people fall through the cracks and I don't think it's a big deal to help them a little.

Once we were walking through Pearl Street mall, in Boulder and several musicians were playing with their instrument cases open for donations...my mother in law was with us and she said in disgust, "There sure are alota beggars." She is a woman, who has always had a housekeeper and never worked a day in her life and SHE was looking down on them!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
How does it help an alcoholic to not give them $, so they can buy beer? So, they suffer until someone else gives them the money...

I wouldn't want someone to feel grateful to me all through lunch...I would rather give them a sack lunch, as I pass by (if I wasn't offering money)

It's great if your parents want to help people, I just didn't get that from your post. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
As an atheist, I am very uncomfortable with many charities religious messages given along with their help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts