VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

http://thehomelessguy.blogspot.com/

I've been reading this guys blog for awhile now. He uses the computer at the local library to keep it up. He's educated, just had a bunch of bad breaks in life. If you'd like to know it from a homeless persons point of view read on.
Thank you for mentioning this. This fellow lives right here in Nashville. Fascinating!

The only problem I have with the site is that the archives are gone or limited or whatever, so I can only read a few of his more current entries.

He mentions staying at the Nashville Union Rescue Mission. My family has donated to this charity, and I would feel much better about giving money to the Mission than just handing it to a street person. I have also gone down and worked at the Mission on Thanksgiving, helping them to prepare food. A woman I used to date (sort of) became homeless due mostly to mental illness, and stayed at their (separate) women's facility for a while before moving out West.

It is kind of amazing that he was attending Belmont University, though. It is kind of a ritzy private college, so not quite the place you might expect an otherwise homeless person to be attending school.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

"My family has donated to this charity, and I would feel much better about giving money to the Mission than just handing it to a street person."

If they give money or things to street people, why can't you?
My family is (or was) "we" not "they." And it is not a question of what I can do, but what I choose not to do.

You seem not to have understood the post, which contrasts giving money to a charity to help the homeless as opposed to just handing money to a street person. The charity uses the money to provide meals and shelter and other benefits to the homeless. But it does not provide them with alcohol or drugs. Nor does it encourage them to panhandle.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

So the question remains: if the charity gives money or things to the street people, why can't you give money or things to the street people?

I'm sure you must have a good reason. No?
As I stated before:

Quote:
There is a lot of information about panhandling and panhandlers at:

http://4homeless.hypermart.net/panhandler.html
If you bother to read the information on this site, the answers to your questions might occur to you.

Also, as I stated before:

Quote:
And it is not a question of what I can do, but what I choose not to do.
If you cannot understand this simple distinction--or refuse to accept it--then you don't merit any "answers" to your questions from me. Don't waste my time asking for answers, while ignoring or distorting the ones you have already gotten.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

I wonder where they moved the homeless to?
Here in Nashville, the local government is fairly directly responsible for creating much of the homelessness that exists. For one thing, much of downtown Nashville consists of government buildings. Nashville condemned and used eminent domain to seize many SRO (Single Room Occupancy) hotels, and their former occupants--who were economically marginal but not homeless before the destruction of the SROs--then were evicted, thrown out into the streets, and became homeless. The government took no responsibility for securing new housing for them. And there is always another new government building project being planned, so always another reason to destroy more low-income housing.

A similar process was involved in the acquisition of the property for Nashville's football stadium, which displaced many (semi?) homeless, who were living in temporary shelters there. Our Mayor who did this is now our Governor. The majority of people who vote don't care much about or for the homeless, and the politics of the situation seem to indicate that the homeless can be trampled on without any political repercussions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts