VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know my country says Bullfighting is now the national heritage ?

http://londoncalling0033.blogspot.co...status-of.html

I am sad, I hate my country, I hate french politic.
Some people love corrida like the President Mister Sarkozy and like the Prime Minister Mister Fillon.
I hate Mister Sarkozy, he is a very bad person (a lot of people hate Mister Sarkozy in France).
I am ashamed of my national heritage !

·
Banned
841 Posts
About 2 weeks ago we all had to do oral presentations for my Spanish class about any topic we wanted. One girl did a presentation on bullfighting complete with a graphic YouTube video. I felt like I was about to vomit throughout the presentation. And I was even more shocked that the rest of the class enjoyed her presentation!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"the rest of the class enjoyed her presentation!" Really ? I don't understand because in France (70%) and in Spain (90%) people says it's horrible.
I think democracy don't exist !
And I don't understand I live in Paris and you don't have Bullfighting here and a lot of french city, and everybody says it's not a french tradition so I think they have no reasons for the french politics says it's a french national heritage.

·
Banned
841 Posts
I wasn't aware that it was big in France at all untill just now, although the majority of Spanish people I've talked to hate it, and last January it was banned from being televised it Spain!
http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-ne...-bullfighting/

Although as for the people in my class, I think it's because our TV is very heavily censored, so when kids see and violence, sex, etc. on TV they find it weirdly entertaining. I was still absolutely shocked though. How anyone can consider anything entertainment that exploits a living creature is beyond me. Then again, look at the Gladiators from the Roman era. Same concept, and reflects a nasty side of humanity.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Where I stayed in the South of France bullfighting was pretty prevalent (the ancient gladiator rings of Nimes and Arles were used for bullfights and the nearby Camargue grasslands were where many of the bulls were raised. There were 2 types- Spanish (traditional) and course camarguaise. The first, was the usual bloody horror. The second was still awful IMO but 'less bad'- the bull is not killed, but lives out their full life (and apparently that means full, as they are not usually sent to slaughter but buried publicly on their death according to one article). The bull has a rosette on it's horn and the object of the 'game' is to get the rosette. The bulls are hailed as Heros and it is the name of the bull, not the matador, that is listed on the poster.

But I still think that either way it's wrong (even if the second is 'more humane' the bull is still being exploited and is still being subjected to screaming crowds and a big bunch of guys running at him, plus what happens to his mother/ sisters?). The general opinion where I was was that most people didn't want to see corridas but were pretty apathetic to the fact that they happened. One guy I knew went to see a (to the death) bullfight and enjoyed it- I told him in no uncertain terms that I thought that was disgusting and sick!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchGirl View Post

"the rest of the class enjoyed her presentation!" Really ? I don't understand because in France (70%) and in Spain (90%) people says it's horrible.
I think democracy don't exist !
And I don't understand I live in Paris and you don't have Bullfighting here and a lot of french city, and everybody says it's not a french tradition so I think they have no reasons for the french politics says it's a french national heritage.
Are you sure that 90% of Spain says it's horrible... I find that to be high...

·
Banned
841 Posts
It's people in general though, where the dominating viewpoint is that animals are things to be used and controlled rather than sentient beings with valid emotions. As shown by cockfighting, dog shows, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Are you sure that 90% of Spain says it's horrible... I find that to be high..."

Yeah ! It's because Bullfighting is really horrible. In France some people know nothing about bullfighting but in Spain they know and Dictator Franco was put back the bullfighting in Spain and a lot of people hate Franco in Spain.

·
Banned
841 Posts
http://www.bullfightingfreeeurope.org/ - At the bottom of the webpage there's some brief statistics and facts about bullfighting in France, Spain, Portugal, and the EU in general

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/op...-13579297.html

http://triggercell.blogspot.com/2010...lfighting.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ive-bullfights

So the good news is that progress is being made, with Catalonia banning it being major progress. I wouldn't worry about it. For myself, and probably most people on here, bullfighting is very far from being the first thing I think of when I think of France!

·
Banned
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchGirl View Post

"I think it's because our TV is very heavily censored, so when kids see and violence, sex, etc"
But TV is not reality, Bullfighting is reality. It's sad.
Oh definitely. It's just that judging from the reaction of my Spanish class, seems that bullfighting is something that the average American could easily get into if given the opportunity. And there's plenty of other "sports", such as greyhound racing, horse racing, etc. which are very cruel towards animals.

·
Registered
191 Posts
As far as I know we don't have rodeos in France. But we do have bullfighting in the South, due to the influence of Spain, I suppose.
The tradition is not as old and widespread as in Spain, Spain has ban it in some regions, but we have decided to put it on the national heritage... We're always at the avant-garde of the stupidity, ot's frightening.

Nuclear, nobody wants it, either in France or in the rest of the world? OK, then let's put nuclear power plants everywhere! It would be sooooo stupid to develop alternative energies when we can develop a dangerous form of electricity production with less than 50 years of raw material supply!
More and more people turn towards organic food? oO, then let's keep funding intensive farming and choke to death organic farmers, because after all, our intensive farming as nothing to do with how the US do it, we are sooooo much better, even though it creates a problem of poisonous algae in Brittany!
More and more countries, even catholic ones, legalise gay marriage? Let's keep forbidding it saying it's unnatural, putting forxard religious reasons even though we are supposed to be a secular country.
Veg*anism is quite widespread in the US and the UK, with loads of studies showing the benefits of this diet? OK, let's keep saying that if you don't eat meat you'll get serious deficiencies and die quickly, and that veg*an people are dangerous, sanctimonious, judgemental, stupid hippies, members of cults!
Bullfighting is more and more banned all over the world! Let's put it on the heritage list and develop it (here's a link for you, FrenchGirl: http://vegeweb.org/viewtopic.php?id=8257)!

When do we ever do something right, for fcuk sake!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"As far as I know we don't have rodeos in France. But we do have bullfighting in the South, due to the influence of Spain, I suppose."

No it's just Napoléon III's spanish wife MAR

·
Registered
191 Posts
Then why is bullfighting only inthe South, not in Brittany, Lille or North East ?
There must have also been some Spanish culture influence, besides the direct influence of this Spanish woman, that would explain why it's a typical Southern "sport", don't you think ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Then why is bullfighting only inthe South, not in Brittany, Lille or North East ?
There must have also been some Spanish culture influence, besides the direct influence of this Spanish woman, that would explain why it's a typical Southern "sport", don't you think ?"
I don't think the same, in US they have more spanish than South of France but they don't have bullfighting.
I was born in the South of France. The South of France is not spanish, in the South you have some spanish but not only you have some german some italian, ... But a lot of people go in Spain in summer.
You know in L.A in USA they have 40% of people are spanish lol and 30 % in California so... I really don't think for spanish influence in France (in the South).

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm clearly not denying that she imported it in France, it's just that I'm wondering if the Spanish culture hasn't to some extent spread in the South West so that it made it acceptable or easier to have it there compared to trying to import bullfighting in Lille, for instance.

Je remets aucunement en cause le fait qu'elle ait importé la corrida en France, puisque tu me l'affirmes, je te crois, je ne dis pas que c'est les gens du sud qui ont importé d'eux-mêmes cette coutume, ce que je veux dire, c'est que je me demande si le fait que la corrida a pu s'implanter aussi bien dans le sud et le sud-ouest, mais pas dans la moitié nord de la France, c'est pas dû en partie Ã* l'influence de la culture espagnole dans cette partie du pays. Parce que la femme de Napoléon aurait pu exiger des arènes Ã* Dunkerque, Ã* Nancy ou Ã* Nantes. Mais ya rien, donc pourquoi la corrida existe que dans le sud, c'est ça qui m'intrigue. Et je n'ai comme explication qui me vient Ã* l'esprit que la proximité de l'Espagne.
Quant au fait qu'on retrouve pas ça aux US, apparemment si, dans les états limitrophes du Mexique (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrida...érique_latine), ce qui tendrait Ã* corroborer ma supposition de l'influence d'un pays au-delÃ* Ã* proximité de ses frontières (même si la corrida est ultra marginale aux US, bien entendu).

Sorry to have switched to French, it made it easier to get my point across with FrenchGirl ^^

1 - 20 of 25 Posts