VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I buy organic romaine lettuce from Trader Joe's and see tiny bugs on the leaves. Little red ones. Do I throw it in the toss bin or simply wash them off?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just wash it off. Don't throw it away..It grows in the ground where the bugs live so there are going to be bugs. They wont hurt ya!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post

Just wash it off. Don't throw it away..It grows in the ground where the bugs live so there are going to be bugs. They wont hurt ya!
They don't hatch microscopic eggs or anything? What if I accidently ate one, that wouldn't hurt me either?

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you eat a bug it's not a big deal. They wont hatch or anything the acids in your stomach would kill anything. Besides, in some cultures, eating bugs is a main staple in their diets.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post

They don't hatch microscopic eggs or anything? What if I accidently ate one, that wouldn't hurt me either?
Bugs are high in protein, but if you eat one, you're not allowed to call yourself a vegetarian any more.

--Fromper

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softybabe Lacey View Post

throw....out....be....safe.
Do you have any idea how many you don't see? I wouldn't throw it out- the fact that bugs are eating it is a good recommendation!

I would wash it- regardless of the bugs. I soak produce in cold water with a splash of vinegar, then rinse.

It's not bugs you can see, but parasites and bacteria that's bad for you.

I would not put bugs from unknown sources outdoors. You could be introducing an invasive, or foreign species to your locality.
Know about the Emerald Ash Tree Borer as an example? Soooo many ash trees had to be cut down and burned from the disease they spread!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I used to buy kale from this one stand at the farmers market, and it was always covered in little gray bugs! I tried washing and picking them off, but it was nearly impossible to find all of them. I was too grossed out to enjoy my salads, so I stopped buying from that stand.
sad.gif

So I can relate to your frustration! I've never seen bugs on Trader Joe's produce though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts