·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Tuesday, July 8, 2003 11:06PM EDT

Ohio orders Buckeye Egg Farm shut down

By ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS, ASSOCIATED PRESS

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - The state Tuesday ordered the permanent shutdown of Ohio's largest egg producer because of years of complaints about pollution, foul odors and flies.

Buckeye Egg Farm was given until next June to close its 90 remaining barns and has until September 2004 to remove all manure. Thirty barns were closed previously.

"The pollution and nuisance problems caused by this farm during the last decade were intolerable," State Agriculture Director Fred Dailey said. "The sad legacy of mismanagement of Buckeye Egg Farm is rapidly coming to an end."

The company began operating in Ohio in 1982. Neighbors of the farms have complained about foul odors, insect and rodent infestations and creeks polluted by manure.

Buckeye Egg said it would appeal immediately to a state commission.

"We have demonstrated our ability to operate effectively in recent months and believe that allowing new owners to purchase and operate our farms is a more practical approach," the company said in a statement.

The order does not prohibit the company from selling its farms, said Deb Abbott, spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Agriculture's livestock environmental permitting program.

Buckeye Egg produced 4 percent of the nation's eggs - 2.6 billion last year - from 14.8 million laying hens or chicks.

Dailey's order requires the company to remove all birds from barns, clean out feed bins, drain all water lines and shut off all water service.
http://newsobserver.com/24hour/busin...-6549128c.html

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I can't remember which organization I ran across when searching for info on Buckeye Egg ... but they were trying to get people to adopt the birds. Of course most won't have such a happy fate.... Buckeye Egg has been BAD NEWS here in Ohio for years and years. The owner (who had been fined -- and banned from farming? -- for his bad agricultural practices in Germany) ditched the whole operation some time ago, and left the US. Grrrr, put him on the Veggies' Ten Most Wanted List.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
"The order does not prohibit the company from selling its farms, said Deb Abbott, spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Agriculture's livestock environmental permitting program."

So they''ll sell the lot to another "company" within their holding and the "new company" can continue after the cleaning up ?

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Who was doing the complaining about the pollution, foul odours and flies? I bet many omnivores were..... f*cking hypocrites. "Not in my backyard!" Omnivore morons want to be able to eat their Chicken just so long as it's not killed in their vicinity..... "oh, no, we don't want to know the truth!".

·
Banned
5,034 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Quote:
originally posted by Kurmudgeon

Who was doing the complaining about the pollution, foul odours and flies? I bet many omnivores were..... f*cking hypocrites. "Not in my backyard!" Omnivore morons want to be able to eat their Chicken just so long as it's not killed in their vicinity..... "oh, no, we don't want to know the truth!"
Excellent point ... definitely one that has crossed my mind many times while this thing has been playing out here in my "backyard"!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts