VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I don't know. I've always bruised easily, too. But since I've been vegan I've had a couple of really bad ones, and my friends have expressed some concern that it has to do with my diet. Iron? I take vitamins and eat a ton of spinach ....

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It's because the blood has less cholesteral and other contaminants making it more fluid and and easier to move. The clean easy-flowing veggie blood more easily flows out of broken blood vessels and thus allows bruising to appear more readily

------------

hehe ..sorry, don't have an answer for ya (I rarely noticed a bruise on me as an omni or veggie)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i thought you were serious for a minute there.

i dunno, i bruise easily too so i'd be interested to know as well. you can get something at health food stores called arnica creme that's supposed to help bruises heal faster, and it's supposed to be good for sore muscles and cramping too. expensive though, here anyway

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I bruise fairly easily, but I think it's because I'm so pale that even very minor bruises show through my pasty skin.

Is it possible that since going veggie, you've increased your physical activity, too? More physical activity = more bruises. I know I feel a lot better eating a healthy veg*n diet and that makes me much more active.

·
Registered
828 Posts
not to scare you, but if you bruise really easily, much more than usualy, it is one warning sign of leukemia, however the chances of this are slim.

Maybe if you're more health concscious now you just notice them more.

sunnyk, don't forget that spinach makes it difficult for your bones to sequester calcium, so if you eat lots of it, you must up your calcium intake too.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Since being veg I noticed my "wounds" healing much faster (burns, scrapes, nicks, cuts, etc.).

I attribute this to an over all healthier diet - not necessarily to my vegginess though.

I haven't noticed an increase in bruising - I guess I bruise as much now as before.

Here is something I cut from a website that addresses it:

Its quite normal to develop a bruise when youve knocked yourself on some hard object. The tissues under the skin are injured and blood collects in the area. It goes away in time until the next time you bump into something hard. However, some people bruise too easily and this may be due to a lack of nutrients in the diet, leading to malnutrition or anaemia. Heavy menstruation and smoking can be responsible also. Especially important health supplements are vitamin C and bioflavonoids, vitamin K, iron, and B Complex.

Nutrition Facts and Diet Advice for Bruising

Eat lots of dark green leafy vegetables, and fresh fruit.

Buckwheat is also helpful.

Foods containing vitamin K are helpful, so eat cauliflower, leafy greens and alfalfa sprouts.

Avoid aspirin, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). If bruising is frequent consult your doctor

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks dvmarie, that was quite helpful.

i was just wondering, some of us here (including me) say we bruise easily. but what qualifies as easy bruising? i don't know how other ppl bruise! i only say i bruise easily cos i seem to bruise all the time, sometimes even without me realising it until i see the bruise or it starts to hurt!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm, I bruise easily... but that's only because I'm accident prone.

But I always hear of it being linked to an iron deficiency. So I make sure to get my iron from many different sources.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found this.

Bruising -

"Many Americans eat insufficient amounts of foods containing vitamin C; the disease caused by vitamin C deficiency, scurvy, causes easy bruising. While very few people actually have scurvy, even minor deficiencies of vitamin C can increase the incidence of bruising. People who experience easy bruising may want to try eating more fruits and vegetablescommon dietary sources of vitamin C."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts