VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've always been clumsy and always been pale, so I've always had a lot of bruises. Since I started my new job (lots of outdoors work and handling animals, etc) it's gotten really bad though, to the point that my shins are covered in blue and green.

I'm almost afraid to wear skirts or short pants now because people might just wonder who's beaten me up so badly... Also, there's a dance recital coming up where I wouldn't want to be all bruised on stage.

So far I always put arnica on the bruises but somehow it's getting hard to keep up with the new ones. Aside from trying to be more careful, is there anything I can eat/use to reduce my bruising? Isn't there some nutrient that makes you bruise more easily if you have too little of it?

This is really getting kind of annoying and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do.

Love,
Kjesta

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I know burt's bees has a rescue ointment that I believe clears up bruises, however I don't remember if it is vegan or not (of if you're vegan, for that matter >.<, so if you're not, it's totally safe).

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I bruise easily too. A B12 deficiency can cause bruising easily, or it could just run in your family. I think it just runs in my family, but I've started being really diligent about my B12 supplements just in case.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
River, I'm vegan but I don't think you can get Burt's Bees here in Germany anyway, so I suppose I'm out of luck :/

dormouse, maybe I'll have to test for B12... I take a supplement with 3 micrograms daily and I've always been bruised easily, even when I ate meat, so I'm not sure that's the problem.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

dormouse, maybe I'll have to test for B12... I take a supplement with 3 micrograms daily and I've always been bruised easily, even when I ate meat, so I'm not sure that's the problem.
3 micrograms doesn't sound like much, unless you also eat B12-fortified foods every day in addition. veganhealth.org recommends either one single dose of 25-100 micrograms or two doses of 2 - 3.5 micrograms each.
http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/rec

Recommendations vary though. In the UK the Vegan Society sells a vegan supplement (Veg1) with 9 micrograms.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Bruises are a huge sign of anemia or low iron.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Some vitamin deficiencies can certainly do this, but easy bruising can also be a sign of many serious medical conditions, so you should talk to a doctor. If you are getting knocked around a lot at work, that's one thing. But if you're getting a lot of bruises you can't really explain in addition, that's a reason to be worried.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
on the flip side, how about wearing shin guards, like for sports, in the mean time to let your legs heal before the recital?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
nope, your body has to absorb the leaked blood from the blood vessels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts