VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed something while looking at gravies in the market...the ones that say "beef gravy" say they contain "beef stock" but the ones that say "brown" gravy dont list any beef or beef stock in the ingrediants. I was wondering, are these artificially flavored? Is there even any beef IN them?

Yes I still eat gravy, Im sure Im a horrid "vegetarian" in all of your eyes but Im just not that strict, I still eat animal "stuff" just not meat. Im interested in veganism though so thats why I was wondering about this "brown" gravy. *these are the dehydrated brown powder packet things you mix with water, btw*

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
376 Posts
no one of these boards can help much unless you give us an ingredient list. If we see the ingredients, we can help tell you where they all come from

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OKay let see:

Wheat Flour, Corn Starch, Maltodextrin, Hydrolyzed Soy Protien and Corn Gluten, Salt, Whey, Partially hydrogenated soybean oil, torula yeast, caramel color, lactic acid, autolyzed yeast extract, garlic and onion flavors, natural flavors, disodium isonate, disodium guanylate, beet powder.

I realize its not vegan or anything I was just wondering if there is actually beef in it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You can make a delicious brown gravy yourself: scorch lots of flour in a pan until it is a medium tan color. Reduce heat and add lots of butter (or vegan substitute) to make a paste. Gradually add vegetable broth to the paste (it will thicken up quickly - adding gradually ensures it stays even and not lumpy). Use lots of broth, and then let it simmer to gradually reduce and concentrate the flavors. For extra flavor, add herbs (sage and rosemary are good candidates).

·
Registered
920 Posts
"whey" is not a vegan food.

There are vegetarian gravies in the health food stores here. I'm not sure if they are vegan though.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You would need to call the company to find out - 'natural flavourings' can be from animal or vegetable origin.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
"natural flavorings" is pretty vague..you'd need to call the company to find out what they are exactly. I'd go with Seusomon's idea and make your own. If I can do it, anyone can.
That said, I do think I've seen some vegetarian/vegan mixes at Whole Foods (maybe Hain brand?).

·
Registered
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

You can make a delicious brown gravy yourself: scorch lots of flour in a pan until it is a medium tan color. Reduce heat and add lots of butter (or vegan substitute) to make a paste. Gradually add vegetable broth to the paste (it will thicken up quickly - adding gradually ensures it stays even and not lumpy). Use lots of broth, and then let it simmer to gradually reduce and concentrate the flavors. For extra flavor, add herbs (sage and rosemary are good candidates).
That is how I make my gravy and it tastes far better than any package.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I'm not so sure why you're concerned about whether or not it has animal ingredients in it since you just said you're not a vegetarian and will eat animal products as long as it isn't meat??

Call the company and ask what the natural flavourings are. I just make gravy myself with vegetable broth, some tamari, some herbs and flour or cornstarch to thicken. It's delicious.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

That said, I do think I've seen some vegetarian/vegan mixes at Whole Foods (maybe Hain brand?).
I have a packet of the Hain brand Vegetarian Brown Gravy Mix. Here are its ingredients in case the OP wants to compare or switch:

Quote:
INGREDIENTS: wheat flour, corn starch, natural flavors (autolyzed yeast extract, salt, maltodextrin), molasses powder (molasses, wheat starch, soy flour), salt, onion powder, garlic powder, spice.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
*giggles* picturing spectrum42 running to her kitchen from the computer and back

·
Registered
469 Posts
Cheese is made with rennet, which can be vegetarian or not (traditionally it comes from teh lining of a calf's stomach), and whey is a byproduct of cheesemaking.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'm not so sure why you're concerned about whether or not it has animal ingredients in it since you just said you're not a vegetarian and will eat animal products as long as it isn't meat??

Call the company and ask what the natural flavourings are. I just make gravy myself with vegetable broth, some tamari, some herbs and flour or cornstarch to thicken. It's delicious.
Hmm Im not a strict vegetarian no. Im just slowly cutting things out over time instead of all at once, its too overwhelming all at once.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

I noticed something while looking at gravies in the market...the ones that say "beef gravy" say they contain "beef stock" but the ones that say "brown" gravy dont list any beef or beef stock in the ingrediants. I was wondering, are these artificially flavored? Is there even any beef IN them?

Yes I still eat gravy, Im sure Im a horrid "vegetarian" in all of your eyes but Im just not that strict, I still eat animal "stuff" just not meat. Im interested in veganism though so thats why I was wondering about this "brown" gravy. *these are the dehydrated brown powder packet things you mix with water, btw*

Thanks for any info.
What is wrong with eating gravy if it does not contain any animal?
I eat vegan gravies that I make all the time, and some packaged gravies really are vegetarian. Good on you for reading ingredients lists!

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marina13 View Post

can you elaborate? i haven't heard this before...

Sometimes whey is a byproduct created by adding rennet to milk when making cheese. Rennet is basically cow tummy acid.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts