VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand hpw you're feeling an di've thought about this too. But I don't think the breeding a the problem if the breeders know what they're doing. The problem is when a breeder lets the breeding get out of control. Also I think the biggest problem is the new "breeds" they are coming out with when in reality those "breeds" have been in shelters for years.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Because it's a huge business, and it is not in the nature of our government to quash money-making ventures.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
It's really because animals are property, and people can pretty much do as they please with personal property. And most people are innately selfish - thinking of the benefits to themselves rather than the animals. I was looking in our little local paper today, and saw an advertisement for Yorkie pups for $1200. Are you kidding? Which is crazier - to charge that much for a puppy or to pay that much?!?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheesaidshe View Post

With all the animals that are perfectly adoptable being euthanized daily, why is breeding still legal?
Because people want to see the "miracle of birth." Call me skeptical, but if miracles actually occur on a scale of billions/year ...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Because people think that if they buy a certain "breed" its like insurance that the personality will be a particular way. Also people like status symbols.

Too bad half the time when they buy these inbred animals they have all sorts of congenital disorders.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

Because people think that if they buy a certain "breed" its like insurance that the personality will be a particular way. Also people like status symbols.

Too bad half the time when they buy these inbred animals they have all sorts of congenital disorders.
Yup.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think breeders should have to give portions of their money to shelters. Don't they ever think that essentially, every time they breed animals, they're killing the healthy animals in the shelters?

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm not sure breeders and shelters actually directly compete very much. For the people who are into buying pedigreed animals, it is a typically hobby interest like collecting antiques or buying designer clothing. Many of them compete in shows, etc.

I used to breed flowers (irises), and I think I understand the mentality of it, although I find it very disturbing when applied to animals. Although it's a practice I would like to see end, I don't think the availability of adoptable animals in shelters is very relevant to the matter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheesaidshe View Post

I think breeders should have to give portions of their money to shelters. Don't they ever think that essentially, every time they breed animals, they're killing the healthy animals in the shelters?

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
That's an awesome idea!

I don't know why people have to have an animal with a "breed". You can get one just as good that has no "breed". Stupidity. It's not careless breeding, it's selfish people that wouldn't know a good animal if it came from heaven >.<(not to add religious views here :p )

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponypartner View Post

That's an awesome idea!

I don't know why people have to have an animal with a "breed". You can get one just as good that has no "breed". Stupidity. It's not careless breeding, it's selfish people that wouldn't know a good animal if it came from heaven >.<(not to add religious views here :p )
Totally agree.

Why do people have to have breeds, it's so annoying, i always try to tell people to re-home a dog froma shelter, but do they listen? no. Very selfish.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

I'm not sure breeders and shelters actually directly compete very much. For the people who are into buying pedigreed animals, it is a typically hobby interest like collecting antiques or buying designer clothing. Many of them compete in shows, etc.

I used to breed flowers (irises), and I think I understand the mentality of it, although I find it very disturbing when applied to animals. Although it's a practice I would like to see end, I don't think the availability of adoptable animals in shelters is very relevant to the matter.
I don't think I agree with that. I think there's a perception out there that there's something wrong with animals, and particularly dogs, that come from shelters. When I was little and our family wanted a dog (and before I was old enough to know better) we went to a breeder because we believed that we would get a puppy that had a better nature, and was less likely to have congenital defects than shelter dog, or even a puppy, which was what we wanted (again, not realising that adopting an adult dog is much better because everyone wants a puppy).

Of course it turned out that, while Tali did have a wonderful nature (probably more to do with how we treated her than with her genetic make up), she also inherited cancer from her mother. At only a few years old she got the same type of cancer, in the same place, even on the same leg, that her mother died of. Luckily, since we knew her mother, we were able to get it diagnosed very quickly. And now, as an old dog, she has arthritis and cataracts.

I've now spent a bit of time with shelter dogs, and my family was very surprised to hear that it's easy to get a feel for a dog's temperament in a relativly short time period. And that there are plenty of dogs in shelters that have wonderful temperaments and really do deserve a good home.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas4 View Post

I don't think I agree with that. I think there's a perception out there that there's something wrong with animals, and particularly dogs, that come from shelters. When I was little and our family wanted a dog (and before I was old enough to know better) we went to a breeder because we believed that we would get a puppy that had a better nature, and was less likely to have congenital defects than shelter dog, or even a puppy, which was what we wanted (again, not realising that adopting an adult dog is much better because everyone wants a puppy).
Agreed. A lot of people buy pets from breeders because they want a particular breed of dog, and they won't even check to see if a similar dog is available at local shelters. For most people, they're just getting pets, not show dogs.

I'm proud to say that my family has always adopted our furry friends, not bought them. I can't say the same about our feathered friends, but at least it's true of the furry ones. Actually, some of our furry family members have been true "rescues".

--Fromper

1 - 14 of 14 Posts