VeggieBoards banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

Man, talk about a hypothetical situation!! That would never happen. I mean it's almost an oxymoron to say "healthy purebreed". If that's why they tell you're their breeding their dogs then it's pure BS.
I never said purebred, or for color or other superficial qualities. I wasn't actually talking about dogs anyway; I'm a rat person and there are no breeds of rats. But the issues are similar.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
I would hate for pets to become a thing of the past. I have a friend who could be poster girl for pet adoptions being health giving. She was orphaned at 17, divorced at 25, and until she was adopted by a stray cat, Precious, she had so many more health problems, mental and physicial. Her kitty dragged her starving little body onto my friends porch. My friend, who had been deathly afraid of cats, found her dying and her heart broke for the kitten. She brought the kitten in to "just get it back to health". They have been together about 12 years now and I know they both would have had shortened lives without each other.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mouse

Lenore, I also believe that it would be a worthy cause. I, for one, think that the extinction of companion animals would be an incredible loss.
I can't imagine there's any true fear of the extinction of companion animals. If anything, we'll continue to have a growing oversupply for years to come.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I agree. I don't think there will ever be an extinction of companion animals because unfortunately the breeding of animals will continue (I'll probably get flamed for this, but I think it should be illegal) as long as there's money to be made, not to mention the irresponsible people who let their un-neutered/un-spayed animals (purebred or mixed breed) roam freely and "accidentaly" get pregnant or get another animal pregnant. Bottom line is, I don't know how anyone can justify the purposeful breeding of animals when millions are killed in shelters every year for lack of homes. Breeding is a big business.....as long as $$$$ is involved, the welfare of the animals is not the first priority. Look how many purebred animals end up in crappy homes or in shelters. I think the breeders/pet stores who really care about the home their animal ends up in are the exception.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

I can't imagine there's any true fear of the extinction of companion animals. If anything, we'll continue to have a growing oversupply for years to come.
Oh, I agree, Epski. I was just saying that I am not one who advocates eventual extinction of companion animals, as some do.

·
Registered
230 Posts
All of my dogs, cats, rodents and birds over the years have been from shelters.. and I wouldn't have had it any other way. The animals that have had rough starts in life have turned out to be the most willing to please.. and I think they have been the best pets ever.

Even if I did someday want a specific breed of dog or cat I would look for rescues on this wonderful internet we have nowadays. And even though this man annoys the hell out of me .. Bob Barker is right "Spay and neuter your pets!"

21 - 28 of 28 Posts