VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are animal lovers, and have been long before we were veg*n, we have a house full of animals whom we love a great deal. my husband volunteers at an animal shelter, we see on a regular basis the number of abandoned animals who are forced to the streets because the families who wanted them, now no longer feel a need for them.

So this issue is huge for us. it tears on our heart strings. recently we were wanting to add to our home, by finding a small lap dog, because the dog we owned was rather large. in looking for a smaller dog we found just how poorly dogs are treated in "puppy mills" and we were incredibly disgusted with what happens to them.

We ended up adopting a beautiful and loving little daschund who was breed by her family, and at the rip old age of two, the family decided they no longer wanted her. She was turned over to a shelter seriously infected with heartworms, and close to her death bed because of it. we took this little girl in, and have now brought her to good health, but it really disgusts us to think of how poorly she had been treated before this.

now that we are more of a part of the vegieboards, we just really need to know that you understand what happens to pure bread animals, and that you know how wrong it is.

Please tell us what you think.

Just giving my opinion.

Thank you so very much!!!!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree the over population is a real horrible problem, but in looking for a smaller dog, we had our eyes opened to what takes place in "puppy mills". Its very similar to what takes place on egg laying chicken farms. Its really horrible.

The over population is such a heart breaking thing. I know people that catch, fixed, and release stray cats, that are to "wild" to be house trained. This program is great, and can help alot. It's so incredibly important that people understand the need to have thier pet fixed.

In my very strong opinion, anyone who condons the breeding of cats, dogs, ect. is only contributing to the problem, and cannot pretend to be an animal lover. Also, anyone who would "BUY" an pet from any of these "Love is a Puppy" stores, or petshops, is again only contributing to the horrible treatment these dogs indure at the puppy mills. I will not even shop at a petshop that sells cats or dogs.

I guess like everything else we talk about on these boards, its important to be informed, and understand just what the situations are, before you make a choice that can contribute in a manner you would not support.

Again, just my opinion. I hope you all feel free to reply in aggreement with me, or not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts