VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
The major problem that I have with breeding is that breeders are adding to the overpopulation problem. If someone wants a pure breed they can simply find a rescue society for that breed of dog. For instance there are Pug Rescue societies......if someone wanted a Pug they can call these people and get hooked up. This whole dogs and cats as "pets" thing never should have happened to begin with. I have dogs and cats myself...its better than having them be homeless or killed by a shelter...or in an abusive home. But people should be doing everything in their power to control this overpopulation problem, and breeding is hurting it more than anything.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think the majority of people that were former vegweb members know how awful buying from pet factories (whether they are private or someplace like PetSmart). It's a little comforting to know that there are lots of people out there that don't buy puppies from a mill. Hopefully, eventually, when the demand becomes so very low, they will stop breeding them. There are enough 'unwanted' pets in this world. We don't need anymore.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Our boy Jak came from akita rescue. His former owner bought him from a pet store, but when he was 11 months old they discovered he had entropian eyes and would require surgery. They were not willing to pay for the surgery so they turned him over to rescue. We paid for the surgery and several more since than. Again, the idea is not to buy from pet stores, but I do believe there are so many people that do not know what happens to these animals. Whenever I get the chance I try to educate people about this. Sometimes people get upset with me, but I think as animal lovers it is our duty to do this.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Lenore, I also believe that it would be a worthy cause. I, for one, think that the extinction of companion animals would be an incredible loss.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

I can't imagine there's any true fear of the extinction of companion animals. If anything, we'll continue to have a growing oversupply for years to come.
Oh, I agree, Epski. I was just saying that I am not one who advocates eventual extinction of companion animals, as some do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts