VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally new to the vegatarian terms (ovo-lacto, vegan ect...) So I may sound completely ignorant when I ask this but...

I've been breastfeeding my son since the day he was born (he's nine months) and my husband and myself have tried to maintain a vegatarian lifestyle since he then. I was told by a friend of mine who is vegan that breast feeding is not vegatarian since he is drinking the milk of a animal. Is this true? I believe that breast milk is the best thing that I could give my son nutritionally so whatever the answer is will not make me change my decision to continue I just want to know whether that is true or not.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I don't understand why your friend would say breastmilk is not vegan. I am a vegan, my son is vegan and he breastfed exclusivly. My son relied on my body. My breasts were able to lactate for the purpose of sustaining his life. I think that drinking milk from another animal (such as a cow or goat ect) is unnatural, but certainly not milk from my own body secifically designed for my son. l'm glad to know that you will continue to breastfeed.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I breastfed my middle son until he was nearly three...I highly recommend going that long, if you are inclined...

I wouldn't worry about whether or not it's vegan - it is totally natural and healthy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
I think that drinking milk from another animal (such as a cow or goat ect) is unnatural, but certainly not milk from my own body secifically designed for my son.
I could not agree with you more. i'm lactose intolerant and have been since I can remember and I don't miss dairy or crave it. I feel that all mammals lactate for their young and that their milk is specifically designed for their species, I know that cows milk will substain my son but it is not the best thing I could give him. and I agree with you that we produce milk for a reason and to give them anything else is unnatural.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much Ruthie. I posted on there. It's a little long but i don't think enough can be said about this.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
veganism isn't about trying to stop eating animal products. It's about trying to stop animal suffering. And in the case of breastfeeding, animals are not harmed or exploited. Vegans recommend breastfeeding, becauseit is natural, and lacks expolitation. I'm not vegan myself, but the vegan belief is that human milk is for baby humans, and cow's milk is for baby cows.

The point is that breastfeeding does not have any kind of exploitation surrounding it. If the mother feels exploited because they breastfeed, then that might be non-vegan, though to be honest, it isn't exploitation at all.

The whole "do vegans breastfeed" question should be put in the vegetaian and vegan issues board under the "What stupid wuestion have you been asked" thread. I meann o offense to whoever asked the question, but of course breastfeeding is vegan. Last time I looked at the vegan society website, it had a picture of a calf suckling on a cow's udder, and a baby suckling on a mother's breast. (Dunno if it's still there.)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMG!
Being Vegan *does not* mean that human babies should not drink human milk ..what a **stupid** idea! And by the way i'm not calling you stupid, just the fool who told you this
I'm glad you posted this question, just in case there are others wondering the same thing.

BTW, Congrats on breastfeeding! I BFed my son until he was almost 5(actually he really slowed down around 4) and am still Bfeeding my 18 month old. I also nursed through my pregnancy and then tandem nursed. I am a huge supporter of La Leche League

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think your friend is misinformed. Breastfeeding is the most natural thing for a mother and baby to do. Breastfeeding is vegan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts